Colt Huntsman?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dude, Dec 4, 2008.

1. Dude

Dude G&G Newbie

Is the Colt Huntsman a decent .22 pistol for target shooting? Are there any problems that a potential buyer should no about it?
  2. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

None I'm aware of. Colt's are pretty reliable no matter what model or caliber. Only thing with a Colt is the extra cost one might pay due to the name. But in many cases it's worth anything extra you might pay. Why,because they generally hold their value if not go up in value and you're definitely getting what you're paying for.
  3. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Yes, it is. It's an antique, but it's plenty accurate for plinking. Remember, the Ruger Mark I series was introduced to compete with the Cold Woodsman and Huntsman at a lower price point. Colt makes good pistols. You might have a problem finding spare magazines outside of auction sites for it, though. As I said, it IS an antique.
  4. txfeller

txfeller G&G Newbie

Actually, the answer is no. Let's not forget the rules of a target pistol. Those being good sights and a good trigger. The huntsman is a fantastic pistol for plinking and informal shooting but with the thin fixed sights it is lacking versus the thicker adjustable sights on the woodsman. Plus you'll have to do a bit of trigger work. On the up side it will take the newer magazines that are readily available.
  5. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

Magazines may or may not work, depends on the series your Huntsman is.
  6. txfeller

txfeller G&G Newbie

If it's a Huntsman, it's third series. Period.
  7. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

OOPS

Yep, just looked at mine, although it has fixed sights, it is a Woodsman. (second issue)
  8. txfeller

txfeller G&G Newbie

You may have a very unique pistol. All the woodsman models had an adjustable rear sight except for one version of the second series sport that was manufactured for about 12 months. Somewhere around mid 1949 to mid 1950.
  9. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

Good Deal?

So you think I did OK getting it for $75 ? :) Someone told me they made these for the Marines in the late 40's, don't know. I doubt it though as it doesn't have any US Govt. markings, flaming bomb, etc.
  10. txfeller

txfeller G&G Newbie

Nah, you got taken. But being the nice guy I am I'll give you what you paid for it.
    Ha Ha Ha.

It's always been my understanding that the military purchased the target version. Long barrel and adjustable sight.

Hang on to that one, Purdy. There's more than a handful of colt collectors, and what's considered an oddity one day usually turns out to be highly collectible later.
  11. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I def agree with that !! I missed a chance at a Woodsman, and I'm still kicking myself !!