Colt LE6920 and Bushmaster XM15-E2S

Discussion in 'AR15' started by Piper17, Aug 9, 2011.

1. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

I went ahead today and picked up a NIB Bushmaster XM15-E2S and took pictures of it next to my Colt LE 6920 for some comparisons noteworthy to discuss.

XM15 (above) LE (below)
    [​IMG]

XM15 Logo close up:
    [​IMG]

LE Logo close up:
    [​IMG]

The Bushmaster has a 1 turn in 9" and the Colt 1 in 7" for barrel twist. Both are chrome lined and 6 groove. The XM15 has a thinner handguard which I like as you can tell by the pictures. It also has the shorter M4 barrel with a different type of permanent flash suppressor. Both have removable handles/sights with a rail to mount a scope if wanted.

I always liked my Colt LE but their double layered handguard is fatter making the carbine feel less appealing to my left hand. The slower twist on the Bushmaster barrel would probably make shooting the lighter zippy varmint bullets more probable with increased accuracy. So I'd use the Colt for the "heavy" bullets and use the Bushmaster for varmint shooting.

I've always liked Bushmaster and haven't had a problem with 3 or 4 that I've owned over the years when I first started buying them. The price on this Bushmaster was only $935--sort of on sale by the gun shop owner who sold me the 1886 Winchester and the Browning BLR .358. I guess I'd have bought this Bushmaster sooner had I known it WAS a Bushmaster because he had it on the rack next to other brand names I wouldn't bother with (no Colts or Armalites) and I had assumed he, being a small gun shop owner, didn't have a Bushmaster sitting in between a couple of recent popular brand names that copied Colt for the AR 15.

I am not a snob about the AR 15--or if I am I am amenable (or perhaps able and willing) to buy Armalite or Bushmaster instead of Colt. However, in this case I was remembering my other Bushmasters since visiting this forum and sort of missed having one back in my own inventory instead of the sole Colt.

One afternoon awhile ago I had taken apart the Colt and the Bushmaster (previously owned by me before this one also with the longer barrel similar to the Colt) and compared the parts inside and out. I couldn't see anything that really mattered and had to be careful not to "mix" up the parts since they looked so identical even on close inspection.

This new XM 15 has "TC" on the bolt carrier--I don't remember seeing letters on the former XM15's bolt--and has a different type of flash suppressor from my last XM15 which looked identical (before this one) to the Colt. It only has (this one here) three long openings instead of the "bird cage" openings on the Colt. I doubt if it makes a difference in firing and I did learn that this XM15 flash suppressor is a "permanent" type.

My inclination is to scope the Colt and leave the XM15 with its open sights--but if I am varminting and want to use the 1-9" twist for the lighter .224 bullets (like 40 grains) I'll have no trouble putting a scope on it.

Compared the XM 15 actually feels "better" in my hands because it is smaller in length and has the thinner handguard. One could say I needed another AR 15 "like a hole in the head" but I am an avid "collector" and recently I have been replenishing the "deleted" ranks of my rack with rifles I have missed.

I am happy to have the Bushmaster XM-15 back home again.
  2. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Glad you like your rifle,

The thicker double heatshielded handguards are there for a reason on the 6920. That gun was purpose built to be a fighting rifle meant to get shot a lot. Just as the actual m4 carbine has the thicker ones.

That is also why it has the faster milspec 1/7 twist rifling in the barrel so that it can stabilize the heavier rounds vs the bushmasters commercial spec 1:9.

You could always replace the thicker handguards with thinner single heat shield ones though if you really wanted too.

have fun shooting!
    Last edited: Aug 9, 2011
  3. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

I agree with TACAV.

However, either one will work great at the range.

The Colt is just built beefier for combat.
  4. don5544

don5544 G&G Regular

I like the Bushmaster due to parts.

I have a Colt and 2 Bushmasters. The Colt has larger hing pins and pins for the trigger assembly. If you want to have options for another upper or better triggers than the Bushmaster is the only choice.
  5. Kodiak32

Kodiak32 G&G Regular Forum Contributor

Congrats on the new rifle!

I have the same model and it has been a great rifle. The Colt you have is a very nice rifle in it's own right, not that you needed me to tell you that.

Thanks for sharing.
  6. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Cool stuff
  7. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

I really like this rifle and it's growing on me. I've been looking closer inside and outside of both the Colt and the XM15 and so far my own assessment is that the XM15 is more refined. This, of course, is according to my inspection and not the inspection of an AR Armorer. I have posted my findings on the other thread "The Curious M4 Chart".

I wonder if your rifle matches mine in some of the points I made and if so chime in!
  8. Kodiak32

Kodiak32 G&G Regular Forum Contributor

Piper,

Bushmaster's arent nearly as bad as some want to make them out to be.

I agree with most of your points, I have owned or fired several of the models listed.

I just fired 500 rounds thru my XM15 today, no problems.

***I edited this post some, it didnt come out the way I wanted it too.***
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2011
  9. NoName

NoName G&G Newbie

I've never understood all the hate towards bushmaster that I have seen around on other forums. I did a lot of research before I decided on my XM-15 and it seems to me that most of those that hate on Bushmaster usually never give a reason and seem to be more of the gun snob variety of AR owner. I don't care what anyone else has to say, its a good rifle.
  10. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

My first Bushmaster came through the gun place on Fort Huachuca. You'd think the US Army would have the brains to allow an acceptable AR 15 company grace its gun racks wouldn't you?

Law enforcement uses the Bushmaster as well I know all over the US states. Then we have DPMS and Olympic and Eagle and all the others that were NOT sold by the US Army Post Fort Huachuca and you see owners of these ARs dissing Bushmaster!

Well, to me I trust the US Army and Law Enforcement enough to look into Bushmaster as an alternative to Colt. Since 1999 I've had zero reason to try and diss a Bushmaster. In fact, I've had plenty of opportunity to compare Bushmaster to Armalite and Colt and say I'd rather have the XM15 than an Armalite and Armalite to me is top notch despite the clamped on front sight base opposed to the tapered pin securing on the Colt and Bushmaster.

I've never seen a crooked or defective bore on a Bushmaster but I have seen defects in Armalite. In Colt I once had a rusted bore but Colt took care of it.
  11. tommy

tommy G&G Newbie

i had a old colt ar back in the late 80's and i now own a bushmaster carbine.and having had both i can't see paying extra just for the colt name.i now just own the bushmaster and sold the colt long ago.there's nuthin wrong with bushmaster's they are some very good guns and i never had not one problem with mine.
  12. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Newbie

To many people on the internet with an opinion on a rifle but no actual first hand experience. If the opinions do not come from someone who has actually owned and shot that rifle I completely ignore it. You can go through and forum and find someone who is willing to say that any particular brand is no good without having any first hand experience.
    All you have to do is go into some of these forums and make a post that say something like this. "I am thing about buying a (insert any brand name here) from a local gunstore" Within a day you will have several post that read something like "no don't do that I hear they have a lot of problems with (insert some sort of failure here) stay away from those. What you really want is (insert the rifle they own here) it is the absolute best! Reality is there is not one rifle that is best for everyones different budjet or how they intent to use to the rifle. Everyone has there favorites and i am always glad to listen to what they like about their rifle and why and what they use it for. Then I will go find someone else who owns a different rifle and let them tell me all about their rilfe. Then complile all of the info and make a decision on what is best for my needs and what my wallet will allow.

Michael
  13. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Enthusiast

Here's a fine example of internert myths also.

Colt has stopped using that dorky two screw hinge pin for close to 10years now.

Also there are enough after market match trigger makers for Colt rifles for this not to be an issue.

On Bushmaster Rifles I think the stuff about them came back when they first started selling complete rifles and Uppers and Lowers. They trusted their parts vendors way too much and most likely had just basic QC in house. I saw first hand bent bolt carriers, rough chambers and heard people griping about firing pin retaining pins wearing out(bending) way too soon for how mch they shot.

All that was over 10 years ago and a thing of the past IMHO. But like stuff about Colt, or any other maker, bad stuff keeps on going. With the internet and a prime enabler.

Now Bushmaster has a following of serious shooters and I don't think that would be the case if they still had bad QC.
  14. Da Mc

Da Mc G&G Newbie

I have never shot a Bushmaster but I am sure it is a fine rifle or there wouldn't be so many of them sold. I have a Colt LE6940 and love it. It's dependable, goes bang everytime the trigger is pulled. I've shot thousands of different factory rounds and have never had the weapon fail to operate yet. I keep it in out of the box clean condition and I expect that my great grandson and his great grandson will be shooting it someday without fail. Kinda pricey but I trust my life with it.
  15. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

My Bushmaster has been 100% in evert way. I've never had any sort of malfunction out if it with any sort of ammo, including underpowered steel cased. It's a very fine rifle.
  16. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

Sometimes I make mistakes but when I find out I admit it.
    I never made a mistake in buying 3 Bushmasters since 2000. I think 2000 is when I felt another maker besides Colt was worthy.

The Armalite was worthy until I met Bushmaster. The Armalites I had had the imperfect bores along with the silly clamping where front sight staking (tapered) took place. That bolted front sight in an Armalite is subject to shifting to make the whole weapon inoperable.
  17. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

I have had tremendous luck with Bushmaster. They are no longer in Windham Maine because of a takeover.

I think Windham is where the employees and rifle are really at.
  18. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

Perhaps I said things about my Colt LE 6920 in comparison with Bushmaster in Windham.

However, my Colt is working fine and so is my Bushmaster.

I endorse both.
  19. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

Bushmaster makes great barrels. My Bushy EX-15 has been going strong for 6yrs now. 3X9X42
    Just got a Bushy LR .308 and it has a great 16 " barrel. No jams. 4X12X40 on top. Touching holes.
  20. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

Recently I just discovered Bushmaster (Windham so far) has manufactured accurate AR barrels which they do not hammer forge. They button their barrels and hard chrome them.

They are accurate by reputation. My Colt LE 6920 is not as accurate although it is sufficient. I like both for reasons that both fill the void for an AR 15 or M4 type.