Concealed Carry/Self Defense Insurance

Discussion in 'CCW' started by CancerFighter, Mar 27, 2012.

1. CancerFighter

CancerFighter G&G Newbie

I'm just looking for thoughts about insurance against civil litigation after using your firearm in self defense. Whatever your experiences, perceptions, or preferences about providers would be greatly appreciated!
  2. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

I'm not 100% sure about this, and I'm not in the mood to go and look. lol
    But, I think that is covered by the Castle Doctrine/Use of deadly force laws in Texas. If you are within the law you are also safe from civil litigation. Maybe I'll check on that later. Maybe Loyd's of London would insure you. lol
  3. TheLastMountain

TheLastMountain G&G Enthusiast

You start looking for insurance then they will use that against you as you are planning on using your firearm. Just a thought.
  4. CancerFighter

CancerFighter G&G Newbie

HA! I love the honesty, and funny you should mention that, my brother got screwed in a car accident because the taxi that hit him was "insured" by Lloyd's.
  5. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Instead of insurance, just have the number of a good lawyer in your wallet or programmed into your cellphone. If they're going to sue you, they'll do so having insurance or not. They can't take or get what you don't have. And the state your in, should be one of the ones more in line with protecting oneself.
  6. CancerFighter

CancerFighter G&G Newbie

But having a good lawyer's number doesn't remove remove their hourly fees.
  7. TheLastMountain

TheLastMountain G&G Enthusiast

Become a NRA member, I believe there is no charge or lesser charge if your a member. They have lawyers just for self defense litigation. Might want to double check that.
  8. CancerFighter

CancerFighter G&G Newbie

I am a member of the NRA. There's an option for purchasing two different levels of coverage through them. I"m just wondering if anyone has any insight into it's merit, usefulness and any experience with the insurance.
  9. ares338

ares338 G&G Newbie

I used to have the insurance usd on the USCCA web site but it only pays if you are acquitted and that sucks. I enrolled in "Texas Law Shield" which is not insurance and covers you whenever you use your weapon out of Texas in the states that honors Texas' CHL. It's reasonable too!
  10. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I have done this as well and it seems on the surface as money well spent (fortunately don`t have any experience with having to use it post shooting). You get a card with a number of a 24 hour lawyer who will answer if you shoot or brandish and it has a statement to give to authorities--(basically that you wish to confer with counsel). I received a clear package in the mail and cards with easy to understand contact info that I keep with my CHL. They were easy to get ahold of and keen to answer my questions when I called and the money is trivial compared to how much you could spend just to try to talk to a laywer after a crisis event. For me it is well worth it to get me through the initial stages of something I hope never happens.

I carried for years before I got this, believing (perhaps naively) that good cops and good DA`s would not charge me if I had a good and justifiable shoot. While I think highly of our local folks in my town I have come to believe this is not always true and there are people who would try to charge and imprison you even if you did everything right. This could range from political agendas, to suspicious nature, to not understanding firearms, to inadvertently making a wrong statement while in shock (which we ALL do) and someone not undertanding that this is normal and you are not lying, or just plain selfish ambition. Conferring with a lawyer while cooperating with the investigation makes sense to me.

I used to investigate accidents while in the AF so very much understood how one could make wrong or conflicting statements under stress or in shock (and experienced this firsthand after a mishap caused by mechanical failure). We would tailor things accordingly; getting an initial statment and then a later one (our goal was simply accident prevention so we did not have any punitive capacity which was good and we almost always got the truth). The first for perishible impressons and knowledge, the later to go into more detail and confirm. These often changed markedly, and someone immediately post mishap often did not think clearly--but to someone with a legal agenda this could be construed as lying when it is not.
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2012
  11. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

I didn't know anyone sold such a policy.
  12. CancerFighter

CancerFighter G&G Newbie

Thanks TXplt, I knew you'd have good insight here. That's exactly what I was looking for. So were you saying you did the Texas Law Shield?
  13. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Yes. I called the number on the brochure and discussed the details with them and went with their multi state family plan for myself and my wife. They sent back a package and cards promptly. As I figure the cost of a year would be well less than even an hour discussing anything with an attorney. If you are interested I would give them a call yourself and talk things over...I got ahold of someone right away and he was keen to answer questions about the plan. Good luck and cheers !