Considering a new pistol...

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by jlb783, Aug 13, 2011.

1. jlb783

jlb783 G&G Newbie

I'm considering getting a new pistol (preferably in 9mm.) It will mainly be for target shooting, so I'm not looking for something compact or anything like that. I've considered a Glock 17, a CZ 75B, Beretta 92 FS and some others. Just wondering what some of you G&G'ers might recommend for a reliable, accurate 9mm pistol.
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Springfield Armory website

they have a new 9mm that shows a lot of promise. This might be something for you to consider.
  3. stalebiscuit

stalebiscuit G&G Newbie

go with the cz trust me

but the FN-P line is good, and dont forget about cz clones like eaa witness
  4. Pope130

Pope130 G&G Regular

Of the ones you mention the CZ-75 is by far the best in my opinion. CZ, and CZ derived designs are doing very well in competition shooting, and are top notch for reliability and safety in service use. CZ derivatives (not clones, as they are built with CZ parts) are worth a look. EAA Witness, Armalite 24, IMI Mini Eagle and the Springfield come to mind. The Witness is a good choice if you want to cover other calibres, factory conversion kits let it use a variety of cartridges.

Try before you buy. Find a range that rents, or go shooting with friends. A big factor is how the gun fits you. I have "Browning hands" myself. Seems that anything designed by John Browning fits me naturally. The CZ frame design is based on the Browning High Power. It drops into my hand perfectly. The Glock and Beretta are both shaped wrong for me. Find something that fits you.

Other 9's you may want to look at are the Browning itself, the Colt (and other guys) 1911's or the Star pistols. Recently a lot of Star 9mm's of various types have come on the surplus market. Excellent values.

Robert
  5. Don357

Don357 G&G Regular

Of the ones you mentioned, go with the CZ or for a few dollars less, the EAA Witness line, which is basically the same gun, only Italian made by Tanfoglio. They are also sold by ARMSCOR. But as mentioned, there are lots of Browning High Powers as well as their less expensive clones fron FEG on the market.
  6. okami515

okami515 G&G Regular

am not a huge fan of the 9mm, but have always said that if I was going to buy a 9 it would be the CZ 75. Has all the controls that I prefer and shoots like a dream.
  7. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

S&W made a really nice 9mm pistol that somehow never caught on, the 5960 if I remember correctly. Good controls, nice balance, and GREAT sights. But definitely try the fit before you buy; the grips are thick and they don't fit everyone's hands.
  8. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

I've liked the CZ 75 (from the original Czechoslovakia and later the Czech Republic, the 75B), Browning Hi Power, Beretta M9, Taurus PT 92, SW 59 (this one I didn't like), and Luger P-08s just to name the ones I've owned over the years and decades.

The P-08 is probably not in your line of interest but here is my only 9mm now:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's an S/42 Third Reich Mauser with interesting WWII history and my fourth or fifth Luger. In 9mm it satisfies my needs there but most would prefer something more modern.

The CZ 75, 75B is a fantastic choice. What you get with your money is perhaps the best deal in my opinion. They "fit the hand" like a bar of soap that doesn't slip out of it. They are accurate and reliable. They hold 15 plus one.

The Browning is high in my preference:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Hi Power made today (assembled in Portugal made in Belgium) is top notch. Others prefer the "all made and assembled" in Belgium but actually the current ones have better triggers and less problems in reliability. In addition the steel used in the current ones is of higher strength and can handle the .40 SW with ease.

The Hi Power is a classic--as well as the CZ75, CZ75B--proven in performance. The Hi Power holds 13 plus one.

The Beretta M9 (current pistol for the US Army) is excellent. They are accurate and reliable and proven. They cost more than the Taurus rendition but the Taurus's that I've owned (which also have the frame safety versus the slide safety) have not done anything less than the Berettas. In fact the Taurus's, from Brazil, actually used the same tooling machinery (they bought it from Beretta when Beretta retooled) owned previously by Beretta. Taurus is a fine 9mm in my endeavors there.

The SW 59 I had was a real jammer and I never tried another 59 or 39 since that unhappy experience back in the 1970's.

The reason I don't have a double stacked 9mm to date (the Luger is 8 rounds single stacked one on top of the other) is that all double stacked magazines inside 9mm handguns "rattle" when fully loaded. There seems to be some place there in the magazine where rounds are "loose" and move around in there. That problem bothers me. Additionally, the double stacking magazine is more prone to malfunction problems just because it is more complicated in how it works.

If this is your first try at the 9s and funds are restricted you really can't go wrong with either the CZ 75B or the Taurus 92.
  9. Warmongol_71

Warmongol_71 G&G Newbie

EAA ia a definite thought

I would recommend seriously looking at a Europian American Armory full size steel Witnees, Tanfoglio, you want to talk about a great feel in the hand, natural pointability, reliable weapon, this is the one, I picked one up in 40sw and love it, One of the things that is great is the bore is almost in line with your arm, in other words your grip gets way up on the gun, in line with the barrel, and these pistols are at good prices, I picked mine up brand new for $289.00 Brand new on gun broker!

Seriously look into it, I think if you bought one, you would fall in love.
  10. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Personally, I would go with the Glock 17. It would double as an excellent SHTF gun, if needed, yet is a very stable platform for target shooting. Several modifications can be made to suit your preferences.

If money were no object, I would go with the full size stainless steel SIG P226 in 9MM for range use. It is SWEET to shoot.

That's just my opinion, based on many rounds put through both.
  11. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

The Glock will be the most pimpable out of the bunch...and also has the highest possible capacity with those aftermarket 33-rd mags :D

Hard to mess up a Glock...
  12. Don357

Don357 G&G Regular

Per: Piper17
    "The reason I don't have a double stacked 9mm to date (the Luger is 8 rounds single stacked one on top of the other) is that all double stacked magazines inside 9mm handguns "rattle" when fully loaded. There seems to be some place there in the magazine where rounds are "loose" and move around in there. That problem bothers me. Additionally, the double stacking magazine is more prone to malfunction problems just because it is more complicated in how it works."

I have 2 double-stack 9mm's and neither rattle. And besides, I would rather have a rattling CZ than any Glock!
  13. Piper17

Piper17 Suspended

If the fully loaded magazine doesn't rattle by itself it usually does once it is inserted into the handgun--the pressure of the slide over the double stack seems to move the cartridges down enough to create extra space for cartridges to rattle against each other. The sound of it makes me feel like something is off--sort of like the sound of something rattling around in the back of your car or trunk when you take a turn and wonder what it is to the point of stopping the car and fixing that annoying problem....
  14. Sober

Sober G&G Newbie

MY Stoeger Cougar and S&W M&Pc 9mm's both do not rattle at any point. Both of mine are loaded and I assure you, neither rattles at all. On top of that, I had a FTF due to crap ammo with the Stoeger (only issue i have had) and have never had any sort of malfunction with my S&W.

On the subject of a target gun, I have heard good things about the XDM line from springfield. My little S&W M&Pc is very accurate, i would image even more so if i had the full size.
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  15. jlb783

jlb783 G&G Newbie

I do really like the looks of the CZ-75B, problem is, I haven't found a place locally that sells them, and I'd like to feel one before I lay out a couple hundred bucks for one. I did get to fondle a CZ P-07 Duty today though, and it felt excellent in my hand, but I'd kinda prefer the 75B if it will fit my hand as well.
  16. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

+1 Either of these would be excellent choices.
  17. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Don't know where you are in Texas, but if you are in the Dallas area here is a dealer that stocks the CZ line as well as EAA and many other brands. They also have several tables at many of the DFW gunshows so you could easily fondle 100 different 9MM handguns at their tables. They usually are pretty competive with the pricing also. As you can see from my avatar I like the CZs. That is a CZ75BD, a CZ SP-01 Phantom, and a CZ52.

Home - BUY GUNS ONLINE - Mesquite Guns, Dallas Guns, Fort Worth Guns | Schramm's Ammo and Weapons
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2011
  18. 338RUM

338RUM G&G Enthusiast

you sound a lot like me and I went with the smith and wesson m&p pro 9mm I've yet to have any failures in the gun plus I can hit a pie plate at 50 yards most of the time, from a rest the gun will do it every time
  19. CopperniX

CopperniX 34th Infantry Div.

You guys should come into chat some time when JLB is in and just wait because he will change his mind another 50 times as to what he wants. First it was between a 1911 and a Glock and then he wasn't sure if he wanted either of those or a CZ LOL.
  20. jlb783

jlb783 G&G Newbie

Well, I like options. Some days some guns look better than others. :p