Contender pistol fans

Discussion in 'Thompson' started by giturgun, Oct 28, 2007.

1. giturgun

giturgun G&G Newbie

Anyone shoot the old style Contender anymore? Seems like most have went with the g2 and encore these days. I will probably just keep my Old style since I have 4 barrels for it and don't like trading around.
  2. Texan4life

Texan4life G&G Newbie

I have 2 old style frames one made in 1974 and one in 1982. 12" pistol barrels in .222, .357, .44, .45/.410 and 23" rifle barrels in .204, and .375 jdj. I think they have more character with the cougar engraving on them then the plain flatside G2. Dont get me wrong, I like the encore and hope to get one someday, but I think the contender will always be my favorite.
  3. Chubbo

Chubbo G&G Newbie

Old style Contenders

Hi, Giturgun:
    I talked to a TC dealer today, at a gun show, and asked him what he thought of the difference in the contender and theG2. He said that the old style was his favorite, as the trigger on the G2 was not adjustable as the old one is, and they have left the the trigger stop off the G2 entirely. When a proven product is replaced by a better type, I have found that is better for the manufacturer, not the buyer. I have four of the old contender frames, two for use with seven rifle bbls. and stocks, and two for six pistol bbls. and pistol handles. I don't intend to go to the G2 any time soon.:)
    Chubbo
  4. dgr416

dgr416 G&G Newbie

I have an old contender a 195000 range.It tore up quickly with the 375 jdj I shot about 50 times.I hated that it tore up that sucked.I have to send it to TC now.
  5. SL11

SL11 G&G Newbie

In what way(s) was it "tore up" by the .375 JDJ?

I am wondering what the effects of too-hot loads are on the original style Contender. I have one in 30 Herrett, and am still trying to figure out how to build loads that are at the top of, but not beyond the gun's comfort zone. (Not my comfort zone, the gun's.) The cartridge seems to have been designed to shoot a case full of IMR-4198 at about 48,000 cup, but loads in manuals don't seem to go there anymore. Manuals have loads that are all over the place, with cautions about large variations in free-bore in different barrels. Accurate Powder's loading manual says that Thompson Center told them to keep Contender loads below 42,000 psi, but TC claims to have no memory of telling them that. And, the gun has been barrelled in higher-pressure cartridges like the .375 Winchester and the 6.5 JDJ.

So, I am trying to figure out how to load the thing for long gun life as well as substantial power. Any hints out there?

SL11
  6. tcwildcat7mm

tcwildcat7mm G&G Newbie

I inherited mine from my brother who inherited it from our Uncle who shot silhouette back in the 70's. has the super 14 7mm barrel and the original 45 it came with. i have a scope on the 7 and use it every year to kill deer.Everytime i use it with cowmeone who doesnt know anything about em, they tell me the 7mm is too smalla load for deer. I think the furthest ive had one run is about 90 yards. and the 45 is just a mule. my wife loves it and shes 120 pound lil blonde! I will never get rid of that gun! and i came to this site to get more info on what barrel i want next. 30.06? .375? I just cant decide! but i sure i cannot go wrong!
  7. Czech_too

Czech_too G&G Newbie

I prefer the 'original' Contender frame myself, although I do have a G2. Just recently picked up a pre-easy open w/2 octagon barrels, 357 & 45LC/410. Now I've got to find a few more barrels to go along with it.
    Anyone else out there that belongs to the TCA? If not, it's well worth it IMOP.
    http://thompsoncenterassoc.org/
    Periodically they offer a special chambering or barrel configuration, something not offered by the factory.
  8. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

Mine is old style...4 digit serial number. Bought it in 1968 before the government "requested" TC to discontinue the 45/410 barrel. It's made a comeback but a little different variation. Barrels are 45/410; 22 Hornet, .30 Carbine, 357/38spl...all octagon. I want a 45/70 barrel; shot one several years ago and loved it.
  9. rob2

rob2 G&G Newbie

I have the g2 contender in 45/410 and 7mm-08 w/a scope thought i would like the t/c's since I'm a big deer hunter. but with the exception of the 45 barell I dont hit good with it,(guess i'm just a rifle guy) the problem is I have close to 1000$ invested in everything and cant give it away. nice gun but it seems with these guns you have it or dont. And i dont
  10. tcwildcat7mm

tcwildcat7mm G&G Newbie

Thats funny, i shoot exactly opposite. great with the 7mm and not so great with the 45! i think i need more practice tho, scope on 7 iron on 45. It is much different then my rifles. but thats the fun for me, i love to take somethin i suck at and master it. then find somethin else....I have more bows now than guns. and i got alotta guns!
  11. rob2

rob2 G&G Newbie

yeah I'm big on archery, I live in michigan and it seems that the bow season is the best part ofthe whole season, althogh I love my rifles and muzzleloader. but for some reason I just really dislike this t/c maybe because it just doesn't feel good in my hand I feel as if I am struggling to get a comfortable point with it. plus all my guns I reload for so I am looking to trade out to a plinker AR15 cheaper ammo and my son can handle it. 6 years old already a gun nut.
  12. tcwildcat7mm

tcwildcat7mm G&G Newbie

My middle son is 5 and am lookin for a good gun to start him on. tried some bb n pellet guns but his arms are too short still. i know they got others but i just havent looked hard enough. I got him a bow tho! and 1 pistol bb gun. he loves it and cant wait for turkey season!
  13. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

14. Z-Man

Z-Man G&G Newbie

I have 2 "Original" Contenders (30000 range and 151000 range), a G2 and an Encore. One of my Contenders was acting up and I did not feel like sending it in to TC, so I picked up a G2 Frame. I think that I like the G2 the best. The G2 feels very similar to the Encore, but it is a little bit smoother to open. I am not sure why, but it is.

I shoot these:
    Contender - Super 14, 357 Max (sighted in at 100 yards)
    G2 - Super 14, 44 Mag (Sighted in at 100 yards)
    Encore - 15" 22-250 (Sighted in at 200 yards)
    Encore additional Barrel: 15" 460 S&W, but shoot 454 Casulls (sighted in at 100 yards).
  15. Danjet500

Danjet500 G&G Newbie

First post. I have a mid 70s Contender with 14" .30 Herrett and 4x scope. Also a 14" .44 magnum barrel. Haven't shot in several years but plan to do so again this summer. I recall shooting woodchucks with the .30 H out to around 100 yds. 110 grain hollowpoints really do the trick. I'll need to get some reloading data again. Lots of fun.
  16. rvv3

rvv3 G&G Newbie

When was it made

My T/C Contender serial # is 289508, does anyone knows when it was made????

Thanks
  17. Texan4life

Texan4life G&G Newbie

18. pruneemac

pruneemac G&G Newbie

I have a .223 and 30-30 barrels I just put a red dot sight on and shot it yesterday...
    WOW no prob at 200yds
  19. reverend ron

reverend ron G&G Newbie

pa.where I can still own any firearm I choose.
    Shot a 252# hog with my old contender =300 whisper barrel Core Bon 150gr sp 55yds. Also have .22,.357,.44mag,45 colt 22 hornet,17hmr,221 fireball,223 barrels
  20. hunterspistol

hunterspistol G&G Newbie

Have the "OLD?" style, it's a Type 2 guys. The trigger mechanism pin over the center of the trigger is the easy-open Type 2. Shoot mine every weekend, all three of them. This style is the most sophisticated, complicated Contender that Thompson made. It's mechanically advanced to the others, the G2 doesn't have the same compound mechanism for the trigger. There's no way on God's Green Earth that I'd trade for a G2, no way, no how.

Funny, they called me Reverend at work for a while-and I am not.
    Last edited: May 16, 2008