Cops Gun Down Man Legally Carrying Firearm

Discussion in 'CCW' started by Bestiverhad, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Bestiverhad

Bestiverhad G&G Enthusiast

2. Big Cholla

Big Cholla G&G Newbie

I followed every televised second of that Coroner's Jury on the Scott case. IMHO, you shouldn't believe the factualness of the above 'Knox Report'. IMHO, there is so much misreporting going on here to invalidate the case Knox is trying to make. I will not go into the errors one by one. I will just say that IMHO, the shooting of Scott was legal and justified. I believe it was proven that he was legally way past the Nevada requirement to be under the influence of drugs. Mr. Scott's actions of the day starting early in his morning and continuing on thru his visit to Costco precipitated the resulting shooting. ........ Big Cholla
  3. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Any links to the TV coverage (or anything else) that brought you to your conclusions so the rest of us can see if we arrive at the same conclusions?
  4. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Even Erik Scott's own family and lawyers dropped Costco from their lawsuit back in January and and in March they dropped the civil lawsuit against the police department after reviewing all of the evidence and saying that it didn't make any sense to continue perusing it. Remember that in a civil lawsuit you only have to prove and tip the scales at 51% in your favor to win and apparently they didn't think they had a chance of doing that.

There were a lot of independent NON police witnesses such as employees and shoppers in the store testifying that Scott was acting erratically, breaking property in the store while wearing the gun in his waistband amongst other things.

Wearing the gun open carry may be perfectly fine there but it doesnt look very good when your acting crazy and breaking stuff.
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. ChaZam

6. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

From this press conference/interview with the Las Vegas Sun newspaper.

Scott family drops lawsuit against Metro Police over Costco killing - Tuesday, March 13, 2012 | 8:21 p.m. - Las Vegas Sun

Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  7. ChaZam

Seems to be a significant disconnect about what the father said...

“We are extremely disappointed, and this action is being taken with great reluctance,” said William B. Scott, Erik’s father. “We thank our attorney, Ross Goodman, and his team for their outstanding efforts on Erik’s and our behalf. It’s time to move on with our lives.”
    “We feel Erik was wrongfully killed, through an incredibly tragic mistake,” he added. “Officer William Mosher claimed he tapped Erik on the shoulder, and Mosher confirmed, at the coroner’s inquest hearing, that Erik responded by stating that he had a concealed firearm. Erik was trying to comply with the officer’s conflicting commands, when Mosher fired two shots. The commands and those first shots occurred within two seconds. Mosher’s first round hit Erik in the heart, killing him instantly. The second round went through Erik’s right thigh. Officers Mendiola and Stark then fired another five rounds into Erik’s back, after my son was on the ground and dying.”
    Despite multiple witnesses confirming Erik was complying with Officer Mosher’s commands, recent Ninth Circuit Court opinions finding “qualified immunity” for police officers, even after agreeing excessive force had been used, makes it difficult to proceed with this lawsuit.
    “While we believe the Costco surveillance-video data — which captured the shooting — provides irrefutable evidence that Erik was wrongfully killed, the ‘missing’ segment of that video makes it difficult to overcome those qualified-immunity legal issues,” Scott said.
    Odd how critical portions of surveillance video often turn up missing, isn’t it?
  8. Bestiverhad

Regardless of what happened after, it seems to me this was mostly caused by some over excited, smarmy Walmart/CostCo manager winding up a situation and creating a problem where there was not one until he spotted the gun.
    Most likely his actions were controlled by his fear of guns.

For me, the moral of the story is, carry your weapon concealed and take measures to ensure that it remains concealed.
  9. Big Cholla

Big Cholla G&G Newbie

Not to go 'back and forth' with opposing impressions of the Scott case, BUT I will say that it was factually proved that Scott was carrying concealed and not openly. He came to the attention of the "Loss Prevention" employee only after deliberately destroying the packaging and display of a camping product. His own contortions and unconventional movements caused his firearm to be revealed. He was then asked politely to leave the store. He became loudly belligerent and insisted that he was 'important' and was going to conduct his business regardless of what the Employee's wanted and then leave when he was ready. A Costco store manager came to the scene and repeated the 'request' that he leave. Only then did Scott's girl friend become nervous and convinced Scott who was proven to be very high on drugs to leave. Upon meeting the first METRO Officer at the door without saying a word Scott drew his handgun which came out of concealment still in the paddle holster. Black handgun and black holster. The Officer's reaction to what for all intents and purposes was a 'draw to fire' was to stop the threat to himself and all the public at the scene. The surveillance tape never was because the equipment was frequently 'down' and was so that day. There was no hanky panky with any surveillance tape. The Girl Friend promptly disappeared and made herself not available to testify at the Coroner's Jury Hearing. She did give a lengthy statement at the scene which essentially corroborated the Store's employee's version of events even though IMHO she made every attempt to spin the story in Scott's favor.

The Store Employee and Manager wanted Scott out of their store not because he was carrying concealed but because his erratic behavior indicated to them that he was perhaps not competent to be safe while carrying a handgun inside their store with others of the public and store employees present. They did use the fact that he was CCW as a ready excuse to ask him to leave.

Again, I will state IMHO and as proven in a Coroner's Jury Hearing, Scott brought the ultimate results upon himself.

To my knowledge there is no business connection between Costco and Wal-Mart. .............. Big Cholla
  10. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

This happened two years ago!

It happened because Scott wanted to argue the point of concealed carry...it wasn't the fault of anyone but Scott's.
    Let's, for once, place the blame and point our proverbial finger at the correct culprit. All business establishments have the right to post their business. It's just simple fact.

If you are told to leave the store because of a policy...then leave; otherwise, go in, do your business, and get out!
    Once you start arguing your point, the cops get involved and then things really get out of control. Police intervention in a matter such as this seldom turns out well.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2012
  11. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

I carry EVERYWHERE I can without going to the pokey--I consider this prudent. When I carry my behaviour is never such that I might escalate a situtation to where I might have to use my gun due to MY actions (I cannot control other people). I am courteous and respectful and back away from needless conflict. If forced to do so I will use everything at my disposal to immediately solve the problem in my favor and that is that.

I don`t own much of the property I find myself on....if it is PUBLIC property that is one thing, but a person who owns private property is certainly entitled to ask me to leave. If I`m asked to leave someone`s private property I will do so immediately if I safely can--I might ask for my money back if it reasonable to do so at an event but in any case will respect their private property rights and simply leave. No yelling, no fuss, no squabbles.
  12. mitchr

mitchr G&G Enthusiast

In view of this info, it would appear that the story Bestiverhad linked to was another 'hit piece' by a slime bag "journalist" (I use the term with sarcasm) that had a personal agenda. Same situation as the Zimmerman/Travon case.
  13. oldjarhead

To my knowledge there is no business connection between Costco and Wal-Mart. .............. Big Cholla

Only by telephone.
  14. oldjarhead

Both situations have gotten out-of-control; and both have been botched by the police involved.

If one is going to carry he must do so responsibly. These are situations that I cover thoroughly during my ccw classes with the expectations of such a situation may very well occur someday for my clients .

You can be as sarcastic as you want, BC has obviously analyzed the Scott fiasco to the point of understanding "DON"T ARGUE YOUR RIGHT/PRIVILEGE TO CARRY AGAINST A STORE'S RIGHT/PRIVILEGE TO SET POLICY".

You cannot, in most states, be arrested for carrying legally but you can be arrested for disorderly conduct while carrying a firearm.

In cases such as this, Stupidity always belies the loser.
  15. Bestiverhad

I don't know what caused me to believe Costco was created by Walmart.
    Oh well.
    I stand corrected.
    Thanks