Corrosive Ammo

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Garand9015, Aug 27, 2007.

1. Garand9015

Garand9015 G&G Newbie

I thought I would make a post telling what corrosive ammo is and how to clean it. This ammo is usually surplus but I have heard cases of ammo like wolf being corrosive. Almost all, if not all surplus on the Market these days is corrosive. What makes it corrosive is that there is Mercuric type salts in the primer of the ammunition, when this ammo is discharged it literally coats the barrel in these salts and will rot your barrel if not cleaned the right way. Hoppes solvent and etc will not work it will rot under it. What I use is Windex with ammonia I shoot a lot of surplus threw my Mosin M44 and the bore if fine, except for the soviet troops who had it before me did not clean it right after shooting corrosive ammo. Simply to get those out use a bottle of windex and spray down the barrel to opposing end makeing sure it does not go on your action. Always do towards muzzle. Next let it sit for about a min the put one patch down the barrel. Then repeat that step again. Next spray some windex on patches and run them down the bore until they are clean. Usually 3 or 4 will do the job but if shooting a lot more may be needed. Next dry your bore very good and procede with regular cleaning. Make sure you spray your bolt face with windex also. I personnally like to take the bolt apart and clean it. These steps are for BOLT ACTION RIFLES. Semi-Autos are diffrent because of the gas system, but use the same base. There are many ways to clean corrosive ammo but I find this way to be very easy and reliable and I have used it for years. Make sure you use the windex part at the range and dry it and when home do regular cleaning. Thankyou for reading and comments are appreciated.

use windex with ammonia
    Last edited: Aug 27, 2007
  2. Snowman

Snowman G&G Newbie

Great info. Just tried the windex and it works great with Hoppes #9 as a follow up.
  3. ChuckO

ChuckO G&G Newbie

I didn't think too much modern manufactured ammo used mercury primers. I did run into it once, i forget the brand, but it was 5.56 in blue and red boxes.
  4. ezearln

ezearln G&G Newbie

Maybe I'm behind the times but aren't most primers lead azide?
  5. Garand9015

Garand9015 G&G Newbie

All surplus ammo uses a berdan mercury primer. New DOMESTIC commercial ammo uses lead azide in the primer which is non corrosive. Take a look, all domestic brands like winchester and remington etc. use boxer primed ammunition. Now as I had stated, all surplus uses a berdan primer and NO SURPLUS IS NON-CORROSIVE. So wolf and etc use berdan primers which in theary have always been corrosive. Therefore ammo like wolf I treat as surplus. I am not saying wolf is corrosive but that is my theary. What is NON-CORROSIVE BY THEIR STANDARDS MAY BE CORROSIVE BY OURS. Take a look at ak47.net they have a big disscussion about this topic. Thanks for reading.
  6. ChuckO

ChuckO G&G Newbie

I really have to disagree with that statement. Most military ammo manufacturers stopped using corrosive ingredients in the fifties. Not to say you wont find some around but most is not. I fire military surplus pretty much exclusively in my HK91, have been since 1986. I have to admit I don't always clean right away and have never experienced any bore corrosion.
    Corrosive primers may be more prevalent in 7.62x39, being as most of that ammo is Russian and Chinese manufacture?
    But corrosive primers in 7.62x51 is pretty rare, same for the 5.56 NATO.
  7. Garand9015

Garand9015 G&G Newbie

As I had stated I consider all surplus to be corrosive. It is my theary, I personally know that ammo in 7.62x51 has been advertised as Non-Corrosive "but" I have seen Romainian 8mm mauser made in 1974 being advertised as Non-Corrosive also. I know for a fact though that the Romanian ammo in indeed corrosive. What I am trying to say is that most if not all surplus is corrosive and I treat it all as corrosive no matter what the dealer/distrubuter says. I would rather take the safe root of cleaning my rifles with a little windex that costs $2 rather buying a new action and barrel that costs $300.