Cost/Expense Differences - 9MM vs .45?

Discussion in 'Ammunition Reports' started by Ambidextrous, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Ambidextrous

Ambidextrous G&G Newbie

Not sure if this is the correct forum (sub-forum) or not, but I'm trying to get a "general" (rough) idea, on the basic price/cost/expense difference between 9mm & .45 rounds (?) ... lets say "inexpensive practice/target rounds" to keep it as much of an apples-to-apples comparison as possible.

Thanks in advance...
  2. Tracer

Tracer G&G Enthusiast

3. Martin Rage

Martin Rage G&G Enthusiast

anywhere from 50% to 100% more depending on the market. Ammo prices are like the stock market.
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Generally, 230 grain FMJ .45 ACP costs more, anywhere from 50% to 80% more than 124 grain FMJ 9x19 mm Luger. On the other hand, the .45 ACP is capable of reliable single shot stops and the 9mm Luger simply isn't. It's all in how you look at it. I shoot a lot of 9x18 Makarov and 7.62x25 Tokarev too, but I'd never presume either one would stop a maddened human with a single shot to the center of mass. The .45 ACP will, which is why the Army's next pistol is going to be a .45 and to hell with what NATO doesn't like.
  5. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf G&G Regular

At the local Bi-Mart a 250 rd bulk pack of Rem-Umc 9mm ball ammo is $58 and some change.
    The same bulk pack in .45ACP is $94 and some change.
  6. Ambidextrous

Ambidextrous G&G Newbie

Thank you all very much, this is about what I figured it would be (as tracer so succinctly put it; "double").

Based-on some of the comments here, I would like to present this for opinions (though I understand it may need to be presented in a new thread):

9mm vs

(I don't believe I've infringed upon the copyright...if so, I understand this link and/or thread will be removed).

Thanks again,
    Glenn...
  7. Ambidextrous

Ambidextrous G&G Newbie

Ok gentlemen, I'd like to slightly modify the question here...

How does .357 (and/or Magnum) ammo stack-up price-wise against the two aforementioned semi-auto's, please?

This is my ultimate wish, to have one of each (revolver/wheel AND a semi-auto) - but for the moment, $ is an issue, so that's why I'm looking at the Hi-Points.

I'm guessing I can't touch a decent .357 for much under, about, the $500-range, correct?

I think I'm going to go with the Hi-Point .45 ACP ~ for now. "For the price/money", AND based-on the reading I've done, it seems as if THAT DEAL can't be beat!?!

For about $250-$300 bucks one can get a "decent" .45 (brand new and with a solid warranty) and a couple/few hundred rounds of ammo...what's not to like about THAT?

Thanks in advance as always......
  8. Ambidextrous

Ambidextrous G&G Newbie

Should I maybe have started another thread? (I'm often not exactly sure what constitutes or justifies beginning a new one...?)
  9. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

The .357 ammo price is usually more than the 45ACP. If you can find .38's which you can use for target practice, it will be a little less than the .45. I am not real fond of the High Point and would recommend looking for something with a little more quality.
  10. Ambidextrous

Ambidextrous G&G Newbie

Thanks for the reply and the info on the expense for the wheel guns - but I'm wondering; do you have any personal experience with Hi-Point?

Besides plenty of comments about them being "ugly" (which I, personally, couldn't care less about), and I suppose sort of a general attitude or belief that because they are "inexpensive", that they must be "cheap", or not any good, I really don't find (haven't found) much (at all) negative having been written about them in the several months that I've been looking at them.

I mean I am finding next to nothing written about any serious, hardcore problems...not any more than just about every other brand out there.

If you have any solid evidence of something (anything) "wrong" with them, well, I'm all ears ......
  11. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

I'm not saying the HP is bad, but it lacks quality. As a pistol instructor I have tried students guns, and found it to be bulky, with a poor trigger, and would probably be the last gun I would ever pick if I was going to purchase one. These students usually see a big improvement in their scores when they switch to another gun. If you are not an avid shooter, then by all means get it. If you want a quality gun that will last a lifetime, spend the $500-$600 and pick a name brand. For an example, I have NEVER had a student complain about the trigger of a M1911 type when they compare it to the newer double action type pistols. Invariably they like the feel and trigger and accuracy that follows with a good 1911 type pistol. True they may have chosen their pistol because of size, or that they could carry more rounds, or that they could carry with a degree of safety with a round in the chamber; but they all remark about the smoothness of the single action autos. HP owners invariable will buy 'up' if they end up doing more shooting in the hobby.
  12. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

Check out this link AmmoEngine: .44 Magnum / .44 Remington Magnum, Instock For Sale Premium & Discount Ammunition, Ammo Deals It's what I use to find good deals on ammo, and you can select all kinds of calibers to do comparisons.
  13. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I just bought 9mm and .45 at Walmart yesterday. The cheap target Federal in the red box that is sold at most Walmarts was $10.69 a box for 9mm and .45 was $16.99.

Kind of off topic but if you're looking at saving money on ammo and you shoot a lot have you considered reloading? You can get a set up from Lee which is lower end but very good equipment in my opinion for about $100-$125 and $30-$35 per caliber for the dies. If you save your brass you can load 100 9mm's for about $8.00 and 100 .45's for about $11.00. Aside from saving money, I find loading ammo fun once you get the hang of it.
  14. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

.357 Magnum will usually be the same as .45 at best and usually a little more. The .38's will be more than 9mm and less than .45's in most cases. A .357 Magnum is one handgun I think everyone should own. It is like getting two guns in one where you can shoot both rounds. It is a great all around gun. They are easy to use, easy to learn on, almost impossible to jam, fun to shoot and plenty enough power to stop and bad guy as well as most animals. If you are shopping on a budget look at Taurus. They make a very good revolver with a 100% lifetime warranty and can be found under $300 if you shop around. I have one Taurus revolver and two Taurus autos. I have been very happy with them.

For the autos, I would stay away from High Point. My opinion is you'd be better off to save a little and buy a better gun or look at used guns. You will find thousands of people who swear by High Point and have had great success but for every one good experience you will hear about one bad experience. Do you want to chance your life on a gun with 50/50 odds?
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  15. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Yep, I do. Once if put in a joke bid in an auction of .45 bucks for a Hi Point .45. Imagine my shock when I won the darned thing. Got the gun, I was amazed at how heavy the thing was, even though half of it seemed to be plastic. The strange grip on it forced me to hold it real high, which caused the slide to "bite" me every time I shot it. Which wasn't often because it would jam about every 2-3 shots.

One of the 2 guns I ever owned I just gave away to my little brother. I would have felt guilty charging him anything for it. He uses it for a single shot shark killer when he goes fishing in the Gulf and ties into a shark so he can get it in the boat without it biting somebody.
  16. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

I have shot two HiPoints and they both ran like a sewing machine. They like to be run "wet" and with a strong trigger finger. My only misgiving is their weight. But if that is not a problem, and it is all you can afford, then go for it !! Having a heavy, butt-ugly .45 or 9mm is better than preparing to attack a shooter with your Buck knife !!
  17. Ambidextrous

Ambidextrous G&G Newbie

SwedeSteve,

I understand "a strong trigger finger", but by "wet", do you mean; well-oiled?? And the "sewing machine" reference...not sure what that means, could you expound on that too please?

Thanks again, and in advance.......
  18. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf G&G Regular

I have limited experience with a High Point 9mm pistol. A neighbor brought one by my place for me to try out. I fired a few magazines through it, it fed hollow points, ball ammo, and cast lead reloads flawlessly. Even mixing the rounds in the magazine couldn't make it jam. It's not pretty, does not have the trigger pull of a $1000 pistol, and is relatively heavy. But it works, and has a good warranty. Folks on a tight budget can defend themselves too.