Crappie fishing?

Discussion in 'Fishing' started by Browning, Mar 6, 2011.

1. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

I'm looking for some tips on what bait to use this time of year for Crappie. I've never fished'm before. I'll be fishing around stumps and other structure from a boat in varying depths of water mostly 6-20+ ft. The water is pretty dingy from all the rain we have had so keep that in mind. I'm hopeing to try it this weekend so I'm looking for help ASAP. By the way I have a fish finder with HD bottom resolution so finding the structure will be pretty easy and also finding what depth the fish are running at will be pretty easy too. the water temp's are 40-45 degrees right now if that helps any at all too.

I usualy bass/bluegill fish and bowfish so the crappie are new to me.

Thanks guys. And I'll be glad to help u guys with fishing tips for other species if I can.
  2. Glenn62

Glenn62 G&G Regular

Been a long time since I've done any fishing but when I did, a lot was for crappie.. I fished in a small rather shallow /narrow river that had several fords across it (see link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ford_(crossing) and we'd fish at the small pool where the ford started across the river/creek.. I used mostly small minnows and had good luck with them Water was murkey mostly but the crappie had no trouble finding them..Used a bobber and spinning outfit with light lb test line..Good fighters.. Adjusted the bobber for water depth as it varied ..
    Best of luck,

Glenn
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  3. chesterwin

chesterwin Super Moderator

Live minnows work well for crappie. In less murky water I like to use mepps or similar spinner baits.
  4. Oxford

Oxford G&G Enthusiast

Browning...Just found your thread. Since you asked, I'll try to describe what I use for catching crappie.

As mentioned before, minnows are good for crappie bait. That's what I use 95% of the time. Only time I use crappie jigs is when I'm out of minnows.

As for fishing technique...I have best success by not using a bobber.

I simply use a lightweight rod...one with very high sensitivity...one that bends easily, especially at it's tip, usually the rod is about five feet long because I drop the line straight down from my old aluminum fishing boat.

I've found that crappie like the protection of a stationary object...such as a large tree trunk, or my favorite is down around a bridge pier.

Depth...I drop the baited hook, and smallest sinker that will take the hook down and keep it there even with moving water. My goal is to get the hook down just to the bottom. Then I start cranking a very small amount...stop, crank about two cranks, stop, etc.keeping that up till my hook is back to the top.

Crappie bite very lightly...so you must develop a fine touch and sensitivity to when a crappie nudges the hook. When you think that's the case...jerk the line upward and keep cranking slowly. You will miss some...and get some. Often times you'll be surprised that, yes...that nudge was a crappie with it's mouth over your minnow...and you've got him with your hook now.

Oftentimes, crappie feel safe hanging around a large submerged tree trunk, with it's limbs spreading outward under water, Sure, you'll lose a lot of hooks...but it's worth that to catch a bunch of crappie.

Here's a few of pictures of my crappie fishing results:

Attached Files:

5. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

For the short time I was in Texas, I caught most of my crappie off of Minows. While Catfish were more fun to Catch in my opinion, I looooooved the taste of Crappie :D
  6. High Noon

High Noon G&G Newbie

Although I'm not much of a fly fisherman, one of the funnest times I've had was with a fly rod and some hungry crappy. Other than that, IF we fish for em, we use the standard crappy jigs and fiddle around with our retrieve until we find what they like.

The fly rod is definitely a blast though.
  7. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Crappie Fishing

Browning: Sir, my friends feed them minnows:) I choose to use jigs, {1/8 ounce} varying colors. With 'twitch' light jerks, raising falling methods, around brush piles. line weight; 6lbs seems to work best for me:)
    Follow up with pictures:)
  8. Browning

Browning G&G Newbie

Well we have been getting pelted by rain for the past two weeks. the lake is now muddy as can be and is 10+ ft. over summer pool already. Needless to say I didn't even try fishing this past weekend. Things are suposed to clear up this week n get warm this weekend. So I might try it.

Thanks agin guys!
  9. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

Call them Specs down here and use small minnows or night crawlers.