Cricket 22, anyone else have problems?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by dhermesc, Feb 23, 2009.

1. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

Last Friday I brought home the Cricket .22 I promised my son for qualifying for State in 4H BB gun shooting. Wish I'd inspected it at Wally World - didn't think I needed to since its such a simple rifle - who could screw it up? Well apparently the guys at Keystone Sporting Arms could.

First working of the bolt (or attempt to work the bolt) told me it had serious problems. Wouldn't slide forward or back without binding and locking up. When it binds you can't force it to open or close without wiggling it back and fourth (you can put enough direct pressure on it to bend the bolt handle and it still won't move - ask me how I know). My son got to hold it before it went back in box. He couldn't work the bolt in any manner.

Since its wally world - no returns. I get the pleasure (and cost) of shipping it back to Keystone for repairs. There is no way anyone at the factory worked the bolt and thought "That's pretty good".
  2. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

Sorry for your getting a lemon

I purchased one (Synthetic black stock and blue hardware) about 3 years back my two daughters saw it and took great interest in it at the gunshop
    we walked out with a new Cricket and hadent had any problems at all!
    second Cricket this fall we were back thrugh the same gunshop and hey had a stainlessteel pink stocked one and the youngest girl had held firmly on to that one! still not a hint of problems for the older one and the newer one I purchased.
    Hope you get good service!
    I'll check later on to hear how it goes for you.
  3. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

We'll see.....

I know they had a decent reputation - especially given the fact that with so few parts its really hard to screw one up. That's what ticked me off so much about this one.
  4. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Wally World ones sometimes sit for ages without being cleaned or inspected...first thing I do with a Wally is do an inspection just like I'm buying a Used Gun from a pawn shop.

Good habit to get into any time you buy a gun anywhere, really.
  5. KC IN TC

KC IN TC G&G Newbie

Here,Here!! W. W. is def a trip when it comes to buying guns or ammo for that matter. I've only bought one gun from there and the "dude" at the counter started explaining how to fill the form out. I'd been buying guns for years and selling them locally for about 4 at that time so I was familier with the process. This guy had me double initial the questions instead of answering them, fill out the address section wrong and some other off the wall things. For a couple of months I kept waiting for a visit from someone telling me I had illegally purchased a firearm could you come with us please!
  6. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

The Cricket I got at WW had a safety in the form of a screw that blocked the bolt unless one used a key to turn it,that is gone now.
    One still has to work the bolt to chamber a round,then manually pull the cocking plunger on the back of the bolt to have the gun in a fireing mode,pretty safe in all,but that key was too much.
    I use it mostly for popping water moccasons in the yard with rat shot.
  7. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

A Safety on a manual single shot? What will they come up with next?
    The imagination of some people!
  8. Mr. 22

Mr. 22 G&G Newbie

I started my boy out on a Chipmunk...

I taught my boy how to shoot with a single shot Chipmunk - that taught him to make that 1st shot count. He was 5 years old at the time and we spotted it at a local gun show - we (both of us) call it "The Divorce Gun". We hid it from his mom, etc. Not recommended..., he has that gun to this day and still shoots it (He's 6'4"! Funny to watch him shoot it now!). I had high hopes for him to be on the Olympic team shooting .22 and .177 air rifle. He really got good, but he turned 17 and thought he liked girls better.
    That Chipmunk is the best thing I could have bought him. Beautiful figured walnut, great fit and finish, even came with a soft case, all for around 150 bucks and very accurate with the peep sights! That was the old Oregon company now I believe that they are produced in my home state - Idaho with deluxe versions with upgraded wood and better sites, etc. Rogue River Rifles... maybe now called a cricket. Buy 'em!

9. Cleankill47

Cleankill47 G&G Newbie

there might actually be a quick fix for that. Remove the bolt and slide your finger along the bottom of the reciever. If you feel something catch, it is most likely the rear stock screw. My little brother over tightened his after I showed him how to diassemble and clean his Marlin .22, and I think it might happen with overtightening of any .22 rifle. Check it out, you might save yourself some trouble.
  10. DANA

DANA G&G Newbie

I have 12 Chipmunks I use for Hunter Safty and never have had any problems. Great guns!!! Not sure what a cricket is?

DANA
  11. BigJ

BigJ G&G Newbie

(I know this is off topic, sorry)

Recently for my 19th birthday my brothers bought me a .22 cricket, they thought it would be funny (I too am 6'4")! But no lie for such a cheap firearm it is very accurate and I use it for 'coon hunting with great success!
  12. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

That's the problem with buying guns at WW. They won't take them back. I purchased all our firearms at the " mom and pop" gunshops. You may pay a little more, but what you get is SERVICE.
  13. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

The local shops around here are the pits. The one who advertises his expertise in gun smithing serviced a rifle and costed me over $100 to get it back so I could take it to a real gunsmith who got a big laugh out of the other guy's "attempted repair". After looking at he asked me how long I screwed with it before bringing it in. When he heard I PAID someone to work on it he couldn't believe it. After he replaced the firing pin the local guy destroyed with a file he showed me the real problem the rifle had (Marlin Levermatic). The other local is where I'd go to look for my guns if they were ever stolen from my house.

The two shops I like going to are 70 miles away in opposite directions, limiting their ability to service after the sale. It costed me $10 to send it back and it should be in their hands today.
  14. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

Can't find a Chipmunk for sale anywhere - new or used. As near as I can tell they are very similar - with Chipmunk offering more caliber selections (22WMR and 17HMR) but both offering several choices in stocks. They have similar actions, sights and both are tapped for scopes.

A Cricket only weighs 2.5 pounds and is cut down pretty small. My son has had massive health problems since he was three and is only now starting lead a somewhat normal life. He spent most of his 5th and 6th year in hospitals before we finally found a doctor that new his arse from a hole in the ground. Special diets and side effects of medications has stunted his growth and hurt his muscle developement so getting as light of rifle as possible was the main order of the day.

Rifles
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  15. .22hustler

.22hustler G&G Enthusiast

We have three local shops within 20 miles of the house. One shop is owned by the local town justice; a heckuva guy, down to earth, and helpful. Another shop is owned by a ex-marine, extremely knowledgeble, great ammo prices, and a 100% return policy; if it ain't right, he'll make it right. The third shop is owned by a fat, know-it-all who I wouldn' trust with a BB gun. I wanted a buck barrel for one of our shotguns, and he told me to give him a $300 deposit and he'll look for one for me. The last time I was there I wanted some scope base mounts, and he wouldn't sell me any until I brought the rifle in, and if he did sell me some, they were non-returnable, even if I didn't take them out of the bag. Won't return, EVER!! You have to make smart decisions, and I'll stick with the other two 'smiths.
  16. wunhunglo

wunhunglo G&G Newbie

Off topic a little bit but we're lucky in that anything we buy from a dealer/shop etc. has to be "fit for purpose" and if it is not, the dealer you bought it from has to exchange it or return your money; no ifs, buts or maybe's!
    Under British (& most european) laws, the warranty is with the dealer. Most goods must have a one year warranty against fair wear & tear. Your warranty is with the dealer you bought the item from.

So if you buy a POS gun which is out of proof or doesn't work as supposed to, the Dealer must either exchange it for a replacement or refund your money. If not, the local Trading Standards Authority will stop him dealing and prosecute him/her.

Of course any decent shop owner would do their best to ensure a satisfied customer. I would write the Wally management & tell them their trading practises suck.
  17. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

18. Scioneer

Scioneer G&G Newbie

Wal-Mart gets sued all the time for different reasons. The laws are too soft to truly hurt them enough.
  19. target johnny

target johnny G&G Newbie

DHERMESC: i sent you a message in your visitors persnonl message, LOOK
  20. dhermesc

dhermesc G&G Newbie

Well the rifle came back last night, and everything appears fine. They simply replaced the bolt, checked head spacing and test fired. The bolt works like it should now so their service held up for what their production line failed at. I asked them to swap out the stock with the keyed locking bolt (the only way walmart sells them) for a stock that doesn't have that "option" and they did that too. Both stocks were extremely high quality (appearing) walnut that puts many higher dollar rifles to shame.

In the end I have nothing to complain about. We'll get it out this weekend and sight it in.