custom 10/22

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ravage05, Dec 24, 2006.

1. ravage05

ravage05 G&G Newbie

I have recently bought my first ruger 10/22 and am about to start a bit of custom work on it. I plan to do a trigger and action job, I am going with a Hogue stock, I can't decide my barrell. I am thinking either a Butler Creek or a Green Mountain. What do some of you guys think?
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

whats your goal for the rifle? a plinker or an accurate target rifle.

i personally shy away from anything butler creek sells.
  3. ravage05

ravage05 G&G Newbie

I am want an accurate target rifle
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

then you do not want a hogue stock. to be accurate the rifle needs a stable stock, and the hogue is not very stiff. as for barrels, green mountain is the bottom rung of good barrels, next step up is volquartsen, then the real good barrels are by lilja,shilen,pac-nor. with a decently set up rifle, and a good scope you should be able to fire respectable groups assuming you have great ammo. that is the realy key to consistantly firing small groups with a 22. buck a box ammo doesnt cut it.
  5. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

I have an Adams and Bennet barrel in a Fajen stock. Works very well. Be sure to get a good scope base as well. The one they give you is not that great. Also, replace the trigger with one that has an overtravel adjustment. While your at it, throw every factory spring in the trash and get some new ones.
  6. ravage05

ravage05 G&G Newbie

How do the Adams and Bennet barrels match up to the others? Also, as far as stocks go, is wood that much more accurate than synthetic.

I am new to customizing, so all the input is very helpful.....
  7. rfc357

rfc357 G&G Newbie

Take this for what it is, a sample size of one.

I re-built a 10/22 with an Adams & Bennett barrel, a Fajen laminated stock, a Volquartsen trigger group, and a high scope mount. Put a Bushnell scope with adjustable parallax on top. Did nothing to the insides of the action top end. The rifle shoots under a quarter from a rest at 50 yards with CCI Green Tag. Total time invested: one hour.

I'm happy.

The Fajen stock fits me great in offhand, although the comb is kind of high for position shooting or shooting from a rest.

I like the steel barrel for weight and steadiness. A friend did a rifle with a composite barrel. It shoots fine, but feels (to me) too light and unbalanced. But I am a rifle competitor, and I like my rifles on the heavy side and muzzle heavy.
  8. ash

ash G&G Regular

I have a Butler creek Bbl on mine and a composite thumbhole stock.
    I can routinely hit the same hole every time at 50 yards with remington golden bullet .22's.
    You don't need to spend a lot of money just get out there and practice.

P.S. Don't spend less than $70 on a scope after you replace the barrrel.
  9. ruger22com

ruger22com G&G Newbie

A&B are the same as green mountain and BOTH are top notch...next step up is clark....then vq and the real expensive ones.

I agree with getting a better stock IF you are serious about competition shooting...but just for plinking the hogue is great. If you need any help, I have a site with over 100 photos that shows how to install or modify anything on a 10/22 at <% TITLE %>

got any questions I will be happy to help!
    Bob
  10. ravage05

ravage05 G&G Newbie

Thanks for all the input, keep it comming
  11. Peeshooter

Peeshooter G&G Newbie

I have a Shilen that works great, but a friend has a Green Mtn. that is about as good. Butler Creek has a relatively poor reputation for accuracy and chambering.

Peesh
  12. 22plinker

22plinker G&G Newbie

I ordered a Butler Creek .920 x 20" barrel and synthetic stock. The stock is much wider on the forend & has nice crisp checkering that makes for a sure grip. The gun is much steadier to hold, much more accurate. The wider stock and heavier gun make for a much steadier "hold" and more accurate aim.
    Next for me, a trigger job!