cutting down a rifle barrel

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by pangero859, Jan 22, 2009.

1. pangero859

pangero859 G&G Newbie

I understand that a shorter barrel will decrease accuracy, but will having a barrel trimmed and re crowned dramaticly affect groupings of a .22 at 25yds?
  2. SmallGame2100

SmallGame2100 Suspended

At that distance, it wont be very effected.
    You may see SOME change in groupings, but 25 yards isnt really that far of a distance.
    so I think youre safe.
  3. RgrNo1Shtr

RgrNo1Shtr G&G Newbie

Shorter barrels are not necessarily less accurate. Years ago Warren Page experimented with short barrels in bench rest shooting and concluded a short stiff barrel can be more accurate. Depends on the quality of the barrel. In a twenty two, all the powder is burned after about 16 inches of bullet travel, then friction starts acting. Therefore, optimum velocity in a twenty two would be in barrels 16 to 18 inches. Longer barrels do provide muzzle steadiness by throwing weight forward.
  4. pangero859

pangero859 G&G Newbie

Ok thanks the barrel is a bull barrel, it is 20" long and I was wanting to drop it back to a 16.5 or 17 incher
  5. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

That should make little difference, shorter sight radius would have more an effect than the shorter barrel.
  6. JMcDonald

JMcDonald Suspended

True, shorter barrels are not inherently more accurate. It is the tight radius that would make a difference (and since you have a bull barrel, you are using external sights anyways, so no worries).

I recently cut the factory barrel on my 10/22 to about 16.25". I cut it to about 16.375", and ended up filing it down to 16.25" to get it strait. I re-crowned it using a cone-shaped dremel bit chucked in a drill press for the slow speed (I held the barrel vertically and pushed it into the drill chuck from the bottom). I have seen no degredation of accuracy, but the gun is noticably more swingable and actually a little bit louder.

I would not hesitate doing it again.
  7. turkn8r1

turkn8r1 G&G Newbie

I would not be that concerned with a .22 and accuracy at 25 yards. I don't see any safety problems. I do know that where the rifelings end up being indexed at the bullets exit can effect allot of things but if everything is true and done properly even accuracy should not be effected to any great extent. Changing the position of the rifeling index at the muzzel should only change the point of impact which is adjusted for by the sighting system anyway.
  8. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Just as long as you don't cut it back so far as to incur the wrath of ATF...you should be fine :)
  9. BuckyinOz

BuckyinOz G&G Newbie

Pangero 859
    I agree with the reply that shortening barrels, does not necessarily decrease accuracy. A shorter barrel, means a stiffer barrel, and less whip, after all barrels hum/whip something like a tuning fork, when a shot is fired. It's the position of the end of the barrel, in relation to the action, when the bullet leaves the muzzle, is the important thing. Another factor to consider, is the muzzle itself. Cut the barrel, and you will have to put new crown on the end of the barrel. Some velocity will be lose, as a shorter barrel will not burn the powder as efficiently, but shortening may be more beneficial, in the "bush".
    My advice would be to buy a rifle with a short barrel, like my .444 Marlin.

Cheers Mate
    Bucky, In Australia
  10. pangero859

pangero859 G&G Newbie

I just like to tinker I am building up a little 10/22 from a pawn shop find and a buddy has a barrel for me that he took off of his a while ago, all work is going to be done by a competant machinist. Now this may be a question for a different thread but, I bought an ar-7 a few days ago I found a pistol barrel for it with a grip assem. would this be a no no to put on the action see as I bought it as a rifle, in the same light as this thread I found a place to get target barrels for the ar7, given that I could legaly use the pistol barrel on the action could I have a heavy barrel cut down to say 8 inches to tun it into a heavy barreled pistol?
  11. Purdy

Purdy G&G Enthusiast

If you want a pistol, buy a pistol.
  12. sc928porsche

sc928porsche G&G Newbie

When you cut down a barrel, it has to be exactly square to the bore. It is almost impossible to do without a lathe. After cutting, the muzzle will have to be crowned. Its the only way to keep any accuracy. Keep in mind that by cutting it shorter, you will decrease the velocity of the bullet. If you are using a telescopic sight, then the shorter sight radius is of no importance. If you are useing open sights, it is harder to get a fine picture.