Danish Madsen M47 rifle

Discussion in 'General Military' started by cr107, Nov 14, 2010.

1. cr107

cr107 G&G Newbie

Anyone have one, or know much about them? have one available near me and it beautiful!
  2. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

Hey cr, do you intentionally go looking for these unique rifles? I'm told I have an affinity for "oddball guns" but you have me beat by a long shot! Lol!!!
  3. cr107

cr107 G&G Newbie

No, they find me lol. I have never seen a rifle like this. But they are very popular among the people that have them.
  4. cr107

cr107 G&G Newbie

Well I got it, or am getting it. Meeting the guy later this week to check it out, of course it a Christmas gift from my mom so I wont actually get it till then (how lame, LOL) But I will try and manager to get some pics for interested parties.
  5. cr107

cr107 G&G Newbie

6. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Regular

I've had a Madsen M47 since about 1968 when I found about 8 of them in a store in Houston. Bought one of them for deer hunting. None of the rifles appeared to ever have been issued and were dumped in the U.S. market back then. I selected the one that had the closest match between the color/grain in stock and handguard, but still not really close. I've always thought Madsen may have had two different suppliers for stock and handguards to explain the difference in them. LOL, you don't want to know what I paid for it.

Nice shooting rifle and still have it. Still in excellent condition. Unfortunately, well over 20 years ago, I figured out how to adapt a scope mount to it and drilled side of receiver to mount a scope, therefore running its collector's value. Whenever I take it to range, always will be someone who will see it and ask about it. Don't think anyone who has seen mine, knew what it was, much less ever heard of it.

Nice article about the Madsen posted, but author may have been wrong about Columbia getting 5,000 of them. From what I've read, its believed they ordered around 5,000 M47s, but either Colombia canceled order shortly after Madsen began shipping rifles or failed to pay for first shipment received and rest not shipped. Regardless, the Madsens ended up in U.S. in the 60s.

By the way, be prepared for its muzzle blast. With its short barrel and muzzle brake its a little on the noisey side.
  7. waterdog

waterdog G&G Newbie

Seven parts to the bolt sounds like a(Mosin)rear locking lugs (Enfield ) split receiver (Carcano, Mosin) but it sure looks purty.
  8. PSLMAN

PSLMAN G&G Enthusiast

Yeah, all that makes me wish I had one and I love the wood on it!
  9. cr107

cr107 G&G Newbie

About the numbers, I read that Columbia ordered them, took delivery, and immediately stockpiled them and sold to surplus dealers. And adopted one of the many semi auto rifles available to them. (FN49 or the like)

I wouldnt mind seeing a pic of the scope mount set up.
  10. huffmanite

huffmanite G&G Regular

No Pics available.....had found some kind of side mount on clearance designed to fit a shotgun....adapted it. Not pretty, but works.
  11. MJ11

MJ11 G&G Newbie

They seem nice but I can't bring myself to shoot it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. Capt.Hotpants

Capt.Hotpants G&G Regular

MJ if you send that bad boy to me I'll shoot it for ya! I'll even clean it! ;)
  13. littlestoney406

littlestoney406 G&G Newbie

MJ, is there anything you don't have?
  14. cr107

cr107 G&G Newbie

I thought the same thing, lol. On the 2 mil surp boards I post on, MJ always comes up with these BEAUTIFUL guns. I envy you MJ. You have a very nice collection!

I have mine up for sale now in the trader!
  15. jason1965

jason1965 mil-surp collector Forum Contributor

He's probably not married with children and has all kinds of money and free time