Dcm 1903a3 wow!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by GlockMeister, Apr 16, 2010.

1. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  2. Levergun4570

Levergun4570 G&G Newbie

You don't see that everyday.
  3. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

It's a nice gun but a Smith Corona should not have an RA stamped stock, nor R marked parts. That OG is an Ogden Arsenal rebuild mark, which jives with the parts mismatch.

that said, I still would bet it hits $1,000. It needs to be shot....
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  4. killsnapz

killsnapz G&G Newbie

Wow! Did you see the amount of cosmoline on the bolt and receiver? Well one can dream at least.

Michael
  5. jason1965

jason1965 mil-surp collector Forum Contributor

The RA stamp is from the Raritan Arsenal,which was a military rifle refurb factory(which is now a contaminated,super fund cleanup site).
    I don't think it is uncommon to find 03A3's with R (Remington)And SC parts mixed together.
    It is strange to see the OG stamp on it though.

I would trade my Wife for it,If the guy doesn't mind her having PMS 28 days out of every month.
  6. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

Raritan Arsenal was RA-P. The RA mark indicates a Remington Stock, which is confirmed by the square cut of the stock inlet on the lower barrel stock spring. The Smith Corona stock had a "round" cut.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  7. jason1965

I hate to disagree with you,but RA was Raritan Arsenal.
    The RA does not indicate that it is a Remington stock.The only way to tell the difference is the way you stated above by the band spring.:)

I went to a great sight last night that had all the info on making positive rifle identification by the markings.I am trying to find it again,and will post the link as soon as I do.:)

Stock Rebuilding Marks
  8. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

I checked my Bruce Canfield bible, rubbed all 5 of my 1903's, and here is what I can say. I have 2 03a3's, including the holy grail - 1943 Remington unissued, no rearsenaling. It's got the early Remington stock w/o the RA. My mixmaster has a later stock w/ the RA in this identical spot. It also shows an Anniston rebult mark.

That gun pictured was rebuilt at Ogden Arsenal. The stock is a Remington. The RA mark is exactly where the later Remington stocks were marked.

There are 2 ways to tell if it's a Remington stock if the RA isn't present. We've both discussed the stock cut, however you can also compare the checkering grid on the buttplate (12 LPI vs. 16LPI)

I don't own ANY raritan arsenal guns, but I have seen both RA and RA-P on them. It seems they are always scattered on the gun rather than by the crossed cannons.

I love to discuss this stuff because I'm always learning, please send the link over and I'll try and find some into on the multiple Raritan marks!
  9. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

Sorry to say but my original notation was correct. Check out this on Page 567 of William Brophy's book on the 1903. It indicates not only the RA (cannons) FJA of the Remington stocks but the RA-P of a Raritan Rebuild.

http://books.google.com/books?id=vb...resnum=9&ved=0CCgQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=&f=false

I think the complexity of this hobby is what makes it fun! (Now I have to get Brophy's book as well.....)

Did you see this gun went for $1,125? It's a beautiful gun and I hope someone shoots it!
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  10. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

Jason,

Could you also measure the checkering grid on your SC stock? It should be around 12 LPI and not the 16 LPI of the Remington, IIRC. This is another thing to scrutinize as alot of buttplates get trashed or rusted and people swap them out.
  11. jason1965

Thanks for the posts,it's amazing all the different pieces of info that are out there.I think I'm going to get that book!

Please forgive my ignorance,but what do you mean by LPI?

As soon as I can,I am going to post pictures of my rifle.It is all original with all SC parts including the barrel.the FJA stamp is real faint,and the crossed cannons stamp is just barely visible.Wish I knew where I could get the original marking tool so I could re-strike the cross cannon stamp.
  12. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

^^^^^^^^^^^^

LPI means Lines per inch
  13. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

Yep, lines per inch. evidently remington buttplates are around 16LPI, which is consistent on my 03a3, and Smith Corona were a little coarser at 12LPI.

I would love to have verification from an SC stock.
  14. jason1965

I just measured my SC 03a3,and got 11 LPI.I measured it 3 times to be sure,and it came up the same all 3 times.

Should be able to post pix to-day.
  15. jason1965

As promised,here are some pictures of my SC 03a3.
    There is just one of the two cartouches still faintly visible and that is the FJA.
    You can just barely make out the top of one of the crossed cannons ordinance stamp.

Attached Files:

16. adrians

adrians G&G Newbie

very nice ,i'm jealous ,
    maybe the gods will smile on me some day and hook me up with one ...one can only hope lol
  17. jason1965

I have to say,it took me a long time to find one that met my criteria.I have seen a lot around,most are mis-matched,terrible shape,or rebuilds.
    I found the one I have in the local sporting goods store.They had one on display before that one,but it was a piece of junk.A couple of weeks later, the one I bought came in on consignment and after taking one look at it,I grabbed it.it was only $500.Can you believe that?!
  18. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

Jason, that is a beautiful gun. I must say I love 03a3's probably more that garands, and I love garands. Yours is a beautiful example of a Smith Corona.Thanks for the phot verification of the buttplate. I had never been able to confirm that. I'll try and post some pictures of my remington and show the 16LPI plate for comparision.

Happy Shooting!
  19. Orlando

Orlando G&G Enthusiast

Here is a DCM/NRA 190A3 that I bought from a guy who originally purchased it in the late 1950's for $19.00 from the DCM/NRA program.
    He bought it, put a few rds through her and stored it.
    Came with original leather 1907 sling and nickle oiler.
    The pics are just after I brought her home and didnt even clean the dust of it yet

1903a3 Remington :: 1903a3 slideshow by Garandlover - Photobucket
  20. jason1965

Very nice rifle.
    Is there a way to pause the pictures ?