Deer hunting with an SKS?

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Obsidious, Mar 21, 2008.

1. Obsidious

Obsidious G&G Newbie

I have a brand-new Norinco SKS that was given to me by my father. He had it for many years but had never taken it out of the box or fired it. It was a gift to him from his ex-wife (one of them) and he never used it because he prefers his AR-15.

So, I'm going to get into deer hunting (either this year or, more than likely, next year) and I was planning to buy another rifle to deer hunt with. In Missouri, we hunt whitetail and its in the woods so most of the shooting is done within 100 yards. Several people have told me that the SKS is suitable for hunting, as long as I outfit it with a scope.

There are literally TONS of SKS accessories out there. I'm sure most of them aren't worth my time but as a new and inexperienced shooter/hunter I have some questions for you pros out there about outfitting my SKS for hunting whitetail:

1. Should I even bother? I could spend the money scoping and accessorizing the SKS for hunting, OR I could buy a decent hunting rifle package from Mossberg or Remington and have two rifles: one for pleasure and the other for business. Which of the two options is less stupid?

2. If I do choose to hunt with the SKS, what accessories should I get? And be specific...don't just say "you need a scope". Yeah, I know :). With the scope, should I get one of the ever-popular cover mount scopes? Or get a stock with a rail over the hand-guard and mount a long eye-relief scope forward of the reciever (I believe that is called the scout position, but I may be wrong). I'm leaning towards the latter option, but this will place the scope more than four inches from where my eye will be and that is well out of the eye-relief range of most of the scopes I've found (which tend to be 3 to 4 inches). Will this be a problem?

3. If I do get a second rifle to hunt with, what should I get? I am not looking to spend more that $500 out of the gate on a first time hunting rifle. And that includes the scope. Down the line I will probably upgrade to something fancier but this hunt will be my first.

Any and all help will be appreciated.
  2. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

Sure you can buy 2 more rifles, just because( that is a good thing ! ) ! The SKS is very suitable for deer where you are, if you typicaly shoot less 100 yards, the open sights will work fine after some range time. One thing to keep in mind is that much of the surplus ammo is FMJ/Ball so, make sure you use a soft point bullet on the deer.

If you want to get a different set up for hunting, I think, after reading many other posts, that a Savage is a great entry level choice $$ wise and I have never heard a complaint as to their accuracy. I own almost entirely Ruger and Mauser so I dont have any direct experience with Savage. Had a Remington once... bleah, sold it.

So, go to the range. Give that SKS a run at 100yards with the iron sights, and see if you can group it well enough to feel confident that you can take a game animal cleanly and humanely. If you don't feel you can, get a scope. If you choose to scope it I suggest a low power variable 1x to 4x or 1.5x to 5x, your budget will narrow your manufacturers, there are many to choose from.
  3. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Suspended

Just go learn to shoot your SKS and go deer hunting. At <100 yds it's most likely to do just fine as is. Scope is not needed. The SKS has pretty much taken over the poor man's deer rifle status here in East TN.
  4. mike63

mike63 G&G Newbie

I've taken deer with my Russian, and I don't bother with a scope or any other accessories. Like has been said, just learn to shoot it inside 100 yards you'll be fine.
  5. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

I used a norinco mak 90 in NC and took several deer with it. Shots were at about 50 yds and usually running or moving. I personally liked the "flick-ability" of the rifle and I am sure a SKS would be about the same. As for the caliber capability, the 7.62x39 is more than capable of taking deer sized game at the range you described. Get some wolf gold soft points go to the range and give it a shot. Good luck.
  6. Obsidious

Obsidious G&G Newbie

Thank you all for the advice.

At this point, I don't know that I'll be comfortable hunting without a scope, even at less that 100 yards. After I spend some time at the range with the rifle, I might feel differently but I guess we will see.

As far as a scope goes, I'm considering that if I mount a scope I'd do so forward the receiver, on the hand guard; after replacing the stock with one that has a rail there. Probably this one:

[​IMG]

My question is about eye relief on scopes. If I get a scope with 3.5 inches of eye relief, does that mean that my eye has to be at least 3.5 inches away from the scope to use it, or that it should be no more than 3.5 inches from it? If it is the latter, then I won't have any problem with a scope in that position. If it is the former, then I'll wind up getting hit in the face with hot brass.
  7. mitch_mckee

mitch_mckee Suspended

You can put a scope on an SKS but it doesn't amount to much since the mounting points are both loose and have to be removed to clean thereby screwing up the point of aim.

They are not made for scopes though people keep trying.
  8. Obsidious

Obsidious G&G Newbie

I hadn't thought of that.

I think I will buy a new rifle for hunting. I looked at the Savage rifles and they looked pretty decent. I like the Mossberg 100 ATR as well.
  9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

The one major drawback to accuracy with the SKS is the short sight radius (distance from front to rear sight). Couple this with a open leaf-style rear sight and you have to know the Russians were not concerned with pinpoint accuracy. One way to remedy this is to go with a scope. But, I honestly have to say you will be disappointed with this set up! So, what to do? A happy middle ground can be had by extending the sight radius, and incorporating an adjustable peep-style rear sight similar to the M16 type. Look here: Tech-SIGHTS Precision Shooting Accessories I have been using one for quite some time and it drastically reduced my shot groups! The top SKS in the pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2008
  10. Obsidious

Obsidious G&G Newbie

Steve, that is probably the handiest SKS accessory I have ever seen. This will probably be the first thing that I buy for this rifle! Thank you so much!

I'm still going to buy another rifle. Just because you can't really have too many rifles.
  11. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I've used my norinco SKS for deer in the past. I actually have that Tapco stock on it, I love it.

I would not recommend putting a scope on it. The iron sights are rather good on the norinco, and can produce decent groups at under 100 yards.

Remember, when hunting deer, you need to be using 5+1 rounds. I would either build a block for the 10-round box-mag that comes with the norinco, or, buy this magazine:

MidwayUSA - TAPCO Magazine SKS 7.62x39mm Russian 5-Round Detachable Polymer Black

It's the only 5 round SKS magazine that I have gotten to work.

Also, I would get this ammo, as I've found it to be rather accurate and great for deer:

MidwayUSA - Federal Power-Shok Ammunition 7.62x39mm Russian 123 Grain Soft Point Box of 20

Good Luck.
  12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

The simple solution,if it were me would be to get a deer rifle for hunting and have fun with the SKS at the range. sam.
  13. AKHunter

AKHunter G&G Newbie

What Sam said ^^^
  14. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

Under 100 I'd say it will be fine. Iron sights should work so long as your eyes are good. My eyes aren't very good and I wouldn't shoot over 75 with open sights. If you want a scope, look up a side rail that attaches directly to the receiver. None of the receiver cover mounts work well enough. You'll need to have a machinist drip and tap the holes for it unless you're good at that kind of thing yourself. The tech sights are good to. I have them on my Norinco.
  15. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I agree with Sam too, but if I had an SKS I would make some changes to it and the first change would be the stock.
  16. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Sam- Why buy a new rifle? He has one.
    The Tech-Sight costs much less than a new rifle, and you were already in the ballpark with the "as issued" SKS anyway. My idea would be put the rear peep on, it will tighten up your groups, and hunt with it, save up your money, and buy a really high quality deer-sniper down the road.
    Anyone that doubts the cartiridge at 100-150M hasn't done their homework.
    AH- A new stock? Because it is too short, or what?
  17. Obsidious

Obsidious G&G Newbie

I'm going with Steve's idea here. I REALLY like the sight he showed me. I'll be ordering one of those next week.

I like the look of the wooden stock on my SKS with my 40 round removable magazine. I know some people have trouble getting them to fit but mine slaps right in there like it was meant to be. For hunting, I have a 5 round removable. I do have very long arms and the SKS is rather short for me, but I am going to by a butt pad and get a rail attachment and add a forward grip. With my long arms, it is more comfortable for me to hold the rifle past the hand-guard, but obviously I don't want to be holding the barrel while firing!

I'll save up my money and buy a high quality deer rifle for hunting down the line.
  18. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Watch how accurate it shoots after ripping off a few 40rnd mags and overheating the barrel.In the first place they werent accurate to start with and the bores vary so bad using .308,.310,or .311 bullets is just guess work unless you slug the bore.They are fun to spray&pray with,but never designed for one shot,one kill.I never said it wouldn't do it. I said I thoght it would be best to play with a plaything and hunt with a hunting rifle.I believe using it would give you a 50/50 chance.If that is good enough,go for it. sam.
  19. stitchclimber

stitchclimber G&G Newbie

Obsidious, I just moved from Joplin, I'd go with a second rifle. Brandon's Guns on 15th st between Rangeline and Main is the best Gunstore in Joplin, hands down. Please don't spend any $ at steves trading post at main and 44. They seem nice, but they're overpriced and they're products tend to go to crap in the long run. PM if you have any more questions.
  20. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Personally A.H., for some reason, even though it weighs as much as it does, I like the stocks on the Yugo 59/66s. lol
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008