Deer Rifle Season With A Muzzle Loader?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by MLN1963, Dec 26, 2009.

1. MLN1963

MLN1963 G&G Newbie

I have a question about using a muzzle loader. I know you can't use a high powered rifle during muzzle season since it is supposed to be a "primitive" type weapon used. Now, can you do the reverse, use a BP muzzle loader during regular deer rifle season?

I ask as someone told me you could but I don't know that for sure. Reading the hunting regs I didn't see anything covering that situation. To add on to that could you use a rifled slug barrel shotgun during rifle season?

Honestly I only see you limiting your hunting range with either of those two instead of a high powered centerfire rifle.

Any game wardens or others in the know have an answer for me?

Thanks
  2. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

Well, I know some states don't have a problem
    with using a muzzleloader during a modern gun
    season. Call your state game agency or check
    their website. There might be something in
    your states hunting guide about this.
  3. Brandhard

Brandhard G&G Enthusiast

Can't speak for OK, but I know that WI regs specifically allow it. I sure can't imagine why they would care.... but leave it to a state bureaucracy to come up with a reason why it would! :(
  4. MLN1963

MLN1963 G&G Newbie

I looked in the hunting regulations book we have and didn't see anything. I'll try figure out the proper state agency to ask. Honestly I really can't see why it would be a problem but I don't want to do something illegal either.
  5. MLN1963

MLN1963 G&G Newbie

This whole topic came up a while back because I wanted to get into deer hunting with my son. I was concerned over the expense as I have a job that can go away at anytime. I foolishly assumed the cheapest way to go would be bow hunting. My friend quickly showed me that bow hunting was the most expensive way to get into hunting.

He said the cheapest way is to buy a couple BP muzzle loaders from WM and use them during rifle and Muzzle loader season. I had planned on doing just that but several people said you couldn't. Since then I've tried to find out if it was legal or not just buy asking around to my hunting friends. Well, it's been about 50/50 and no one actually knows.

That is where this came from. LOL
  6. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

Even cheaper would be to go buy a couple of surplus Mosin Nagants or Mausers to hunt with, but you can't use them during ML season.
  7. Brandhard

Brandhard G&G Enthusiast

That's how I got started, Mosin Nagant, my father in law got himself a Yugo Mauser, about the same price as a entry level muzzle loader, but now I've got to get around to buying a muzzle loader as well, so I can hunt that!
  8. MLN1963

MLN1963 G&G Newbie

Tell me if I'm looking at this correctly. I can use, Slug, BP, Rifle, Handgun or Archery during Deer Gun Season?