Definition of Shotgun Gauge

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Bravo, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I thought I'd share this info with you all (I hope it wasn't posted elsewhere already). Some of you might already know, but I didn't, so I figure at least someone else out there doesn't know.

Growing up, I always knew that the smaller the shotgun gauge, the bigger the shotgun shell was. That's all I knew, and I took it for granted.

If you've ever wondered why a 12-gauge shotgun is 12-gauge, and why a 28-gauge is 28-gauge, here's why:

In other words, a 12-gauge shotgun has a 0.729-inch diameter bore, because it takes 12 0.792-inch diameter lead spheres to make 1 pound of lead.

The same goes for a 20-gauge. It takes 20 0.615-inch diameter lead spheres to make 1 pound of lead, and thus a 20-guage shotgun has the bore diameter of 1 of those spheres.

This goes for every shotgun gauge (10,12,16,20,24,28,32), except .410. The .410 shotgun is actually a measurement of caliber, meaning the ball leaving the barrel is 0.41" in diameter. If the .410 shotgun were to be measured in gauge, it would be a 67.5-gauge shotgun.

Also, old cannons were also sometimes measured in gauge, although their measurements were based off of the weight of iron, rather than lead.

Just some facts, I hope someone learned something :D

Source:
    Gauge (bore diameter) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  2. cremley

cremley G&G Newbie

Colorado, with all the pot smoking libtards -_-
    wow! that actually helped a lot. I was wondering what the difference was between a .410 and the 20. Now I know! thanks
  3. turner

turner Suspended

The .410 has a lot more balls...... (per pound, of course)...lol.
  4. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Correct

Many people have just stared at me when I explained the lead
    ball deal to them. Glad you made the post.