developments about Federal and LWRC on the 6.8

Discussion in 'AR15' started by Dark1, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Dark1

Dark1 Suspended

Here is some info I just got from one o my friends that is at the NRA convention about new developments with the 6.8apc

I had the opportunity today to speak at length with the North American Sales Manager for LWRC and an attorney employed by Federal in their Product Service Both men were surprisingly candid about the recently surfaced details confirming the existence of Federal 6.8 SPC ammo. The following are some of the details and comments shared with me by the two gentlemen:
    ]The contract for LWRC rifles and Federal 6.8 ammunition is for the Saudi Government.

A contract has been agreed upon and ammunition is currently in production to fill that contract.

The ammunition is being manufactured to specifications provided by the Saudi’s. However 6.8 SPC testing and development is continuing within Federal.

The ammunition being supplied in the Saudi contract is indeed the 90g Fusion projectile.

It is expected that a formal introduction of 6.8 ammunition to the commercial market will be made by Federal in 2013 barring any unforeseen delays.

It is likely the introduction will be announced at the 2013 SHOT show…but no guarantees.

Although the 90g Fusion projectile will be the first offering, other less expensive projectiles suitable for training will likely follow. Federal is well aware of the need for cost effective training rounds.

However, the attorney from Federal was not aware of the existence of both SAAMI SPC and non-SAAMI SPC-2 chambers, but expressed an interest in knowing more about the differences, and indicated he would join 68forums to collect more details.

The LWRC Sales Manager also made a comment that multiple ammunition manufactures other than Federal will be offering 6.8 ammunition in the very near future. This did not appear to be conjecture or speculation. He spoke with such authority, it suggested to me that either LWRC has negotiated with additional manufacturers to produce 6.8 SPC ammo, or…he has sufficient industry intel to make such a confident statement.

All in all...GOOD NEWS.
  2. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

For the Saudi govt you say? Interesting.
  3. SasquatchSniper

SasquatchSniper G&G Newbie

If 6.8 ever drops closer to the cost of 5.56 I would love to have one
  4. Dark1

Dark1 Suspended

By 2013 Tula PMC and Fed will have 6.8 so we will see prices dropping threw out 2012 in to 2013
  5. Palladin8

Palladin8 G&G Enthusiast

This of course depends on how the election turns out. I can see ammo for anything chambered by the evil black rifle sky rocket. Well actually all ammo prices will be affected.

So does this article mean that the Saudi govt is adopting this cartridge as their offical military cartridge? Are they doing away with 5.56? If it is adopted by their military then I wonder if others will follow in their foot steps.
    It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
  6. SasquatchSniper

According to Wikipedia Jordan is the only country to adopt 6.8 SPC thus far.
  7. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Yup and it is only for the LWRC super short SBRs such as their 8" PSD and 10.5" CQB models. Probably for specialty use or for their security roled forces.

It is not something they are mass implementing to the entire military.
  8. beardedjesse

beardedjesse G&G Regular Forum Contributor

Whats a box of the least expensive 6.8spc cost these days?
  9. SasquatchSniper

$15.57 compared to $4.40 for 5.56 :(
  10. beardedjesse

HOLY MOLY! haha
  11. Dark1

Dark1 Suspended

There is no cheep plinking ammo right now becos there is no mil surplus out there. but 5.56 .308 and 6.8 hunting ammo is all about the same price.When Tula amd PMC is saying there ammo will start around 11.00 a box at first.
  12. Dark1

Dark1 Suspended

This was just announced this weakened at the NRA show so I fought it would be on the crappy 80% fake Wikipedia yet.

PS find a better source for info than Wikipedia.
  13. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

the saudi gvmnt is not yet adopting this as their standard cartridge, it is going to be used by their presidential security forces. the saudi's also ordered a whole lot of 5.56mm ammunition.
  14. SasquatchSniper

That has been on Wikipedia for a while actually and I said "According to Wikipedia" so it would be taken with a grain of salt, but Tacav is pretty knowledgeable about such things so if he agrees then I have no reason to doubt it. And Wikipedia has been shown 98% true according to research anyway, and since the info wasn't for a research paper that's fine by me, thanks.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  15. beardedjesse

Give the man a break, hes not writing a doctorate level dissertation here...we're on a Gun&Game blog...haha :laugh:
  16. TACAV

Here ya go. :)

SOFEX 2010 - US rifles to be produced in Jordan

I would rank Jane's right up there for correct and factual information on military hardware and small arms.

Correct. Jordan's royal protection security forces are adopting the 6.8 cartridge into their arsenal just like the Saudi's protection forces, it is not an all out replacement for the 5.56mm.

Why thank you.

Also for those that did not know it has been in the works now for a while now that LWRC is licensing manufacturing assets and rights overseas and the 8" barreled 6.8SPC PSD carbine will be made in facilities in Jordan. The article I posted above also mentions that factoid as well but again the manufacturing info regarding Jordan is old news now. Notice the date of that article is way back in 2010.

Not quite sure why they are making a big hoopla about it now at the NRA Show. *shrugs

PS. That 6.8 is an awesome round. Even out of a VSBR. (very short barreled rifle - under 10.3 ").

[​IMG]

^^ Pic of an LWRC PSD I got to test out a couple years ago.
    I would not want to be on the receiving end of one.
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  17. Dark1

Dark1 Suspended

The big thing is Saudi it was not released to the public till the NRA show about the Saudi adoption of the 6.8 the Jordan thing is old. I wasn't saying wiki was wrong about that part I was referring o him saying that Saudi couldn't be using it exist wiki didn't say so

And form info from the show Saudi will in time be replacing all there riffles and carbines with 6.8s of some sort
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  18. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

the reason the info was just released, is the contracts with the saudi gvmnt were only signed about a month ago. it hasnt been some long drawn out big secret.
  19. SasquatchSniper

IF I am ever able to build a SBR in the future like I want, and IF the price of 6.8 ammo is reasonable I'm thinking that I'd love to have a rifle like that one!
  20. TACAV

300 blackout.
    WAAY more parts commonality with the 5.56 (AR system) and cheaper to shoot (factory ammo). Also even though it is newer, it already has surpassed 6.8 in regards to the amount, variety, and selection of gun parts and ammo loadings for it.

Not to mention extremely effective in short barreled rifles like the PSD, and effective out to 300 yards which is well within the realm and type of use you would see with a VSBR like that.

LWRC is working on a 300 blackout PSD but ironically enough it wont be a pistol gun, it will be a DI gun.
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2012