Difference between ADL and BDL

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by raym, Dec 6, 2008.

1. raym

raym G&G Newbie

I have 2 Remington rifles. One in .222 that was the gun my grandfather taught me to shoot with and one in 30.06. What is the difference between ADL and BDL. I don't know which they are and there are no markings on the barrel that I know of to tell me. Thanks.
  2. jtuck

jtuck G&G Enthusiast

The main difference that I can think of is that the ADL doesn't have a floorplate to where you can drop the cartridges out. In the ADL you have to cycle each cartridge to unload the rifle. I believe the BDL may have a little fancier checkering as well. Welcome to G&G, there are a lot of guys on here who know a lot more than me, so I'm sure you'll get your questions answered.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  3. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

The BDL grade rifle is a more prettier rifle and probably more refined than an ADL grade. ...A.H
  4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

Not sure about recently but AH is correct as I understand it. The only difference was finish. For easy starters if both of the rifles are wood stocks then the BDL will have a black endcap on the fore arm and a glossy finish. The ADL will have no black end cap. Lots of variations but here are a couple examples of what I am talking about.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  5. mosin warrior

mosin warrior G&G Newbie

My personal favorite Model 700 is the Mountain Rifle. It just looks sleek. Of course it also helps that I own one.
  6. GlennF

GlennF G&G Regular

I'll second the 700 Mountain rifle. I bought one (30-06) when they first came out around 1989. Light, well designed stock that minimizes recoil and accurate. Killed a woodland caribou, mule deer and 6 x 6 elk with it.

Back to the original post, I think all ADL's had a "blind" magazine.
  7. raym

raym G&G Newbie

Thanks. I now remember it had to do primarily with finish and floorplate for unloading. I appreciate it. Hope to bag an axis deer and some hogs this year.
  8. mosin warrior

mosin warrior G&G Newbie

Doesn't the BDL also have a detachable magazine or is that just the 700 Mountain Rifle?
  9. GlennF

GlennF G&G Regular

The maountain rifle has a hinged trap-door magazine plate. The rifle never had a removeable clip. There is another version of the 700 you can get with a clip.
  10. mosin warrior

mosin warrior G&G Newbie

My Mountain Rifle has a detachable clip.
  11. mosin warrior

mosin warrior G&G Newbie

I just searched it and you can get a 700 Mountain Rifle with a detachable magazine. It is called the Model 700 Mountain Rifle DM

Here's the linkRemington Model 700™ Mountain DM
  12. GlennF

GlennF G&G Regular

I forgot they came out with this version. My rifle is a 1989 version. Clips are handy, but can be a nuisance if they don't fit quite right. I have a friend with a Savage 110 with a clip, and it is forever falling out. He is too cheap to have a gunsmith look at it or buy a replacement.
  13. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

All I know is that I have my dad's old 700 .30-06 hunting rifle, and it's a nice one! ADL/BDL, don't know, but it's not as fancy as the one above. Nice boomstick though.
  14. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

My new Remington M700 SPS Varmint is a BDL. The only reason I know that is because when I bought a replacement stock, they asked if it was an ADL or BDL. I said that I didn't know, and they then said that the BDL has the floorplate that drops down to release ammo, while the ADL does not.

There might be other differences, but my Varmint has a pretty matte/tactical look, no checkering or anything like that.