difference between stamped and milled norinco sks

Discussion in 'SKS' started by bigbadbob, Mar 5, 2010.

1. bigbadbob

bigbadbob G&G Newbie

Hi everyone!
    An acquaintencs of mine is a FFL dealer. I emailed him asking him to help me find an SKS - holy crap, I didn't realize there are so many variations. I know my dad paid about $50 for his 15 or so years ago. My question is: What is the easiest way to tell if it is a stamped or a milled Norinco? We are just emailing back and forth right now and he does not know much about them. He said it is in excellent condition and will sell it to me for $200 (which is what he gave for it on a trade.) Does it matter much if it is stamped or milled? Should I hunt around for a russian made? I'v noticed that a lot of people seem to think the early russian made SKS's are the way to go. For a weekend warior plinker is it worth the difference in price? I am probably going to shoot it once a month or so at the most. Thanks in advance for any help!
  2. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

To my knowledge all the SKS rifles were milled. It's a heavy block of steel!! As in several posts here you will see my rating of the SKS rifles. Go with a Russian if you can find one, a Sino-Soviet(first run of SKS in China on Soviet tooling) if you can find one or a Norinco. All are very nice rifles with chrome-lined bores. People will object and say that the chrome lining will reduce accuracy...it's a battle rifle. If you want better accuracy there are some nice sighting systems out there including the Tech-Sight; which is an aperture sight.
  3. bigbadbob

bigbadbob G&G Newbie

So do you think $200 is a good price for a Norinco SKS in excellent condition? I did just hear back from that he was pretty sure it was milled. I'm not doubting your knowlege, I just read on another forum somewhere that the early Norincos were milled and the later ones were stamped and that the milled were better. My head is spinning trying to figure all of this out. For $200 it seems like a good deal to me.
  4. Archetype_wyo

Ask him what the arsenal stamp is. If it is 26 inside a triangle like this /26\ then ask him how many digits the serial # is and what the first 2 are. Say it is a single million # serial # i.e, 1mil, 2mil, 3mil...9mil. Then add that to 1956 so if it were say 1mil it would be a 1957 rifle, 2mil a 1958 rifle so on and so forth. Yooper John You'll see it there.

*Pre-post edit

I just saw almost 2/3rds the way down on that link it shows a Chinese receiver as sheet metal these may be late late production rifles. I just read even further down on another link same webpage it says that the stamped sheet-metal SKS rifles were the Chinese equivalent of the Last-Ditch rifles that the Germans and Japs made during WWII.
    Yooper John

If that guy does have an early 26 factory Norinco that's milled I say grab it up $200 is a good price.
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  5. res45

res45 G&G Regular

If he has an excellent condition Chinese SKS no matter what version it is for $200 jump on it after you check it out and all is well. After 1965 the Chinese started using different production techniques to cut production cost.

Other than the stamped sheet steel receiver version which is pretty rare to begin with and highly collectible,the receiver will be milled on all other Chinese SKS rifle. The main thing you will notice on the stamped parts rifles is the trigger guard foot appears to be on top of the trigger housing as apposed to the milled version that has one clean flowing line,the stamped parts rifles may also have the barrel pinned into the receiver instead of threaded.

None of these features take away from the rifle as far a function or reliability and accuracy,I've seen some all milled version that looked a lot worse,so don't let the pinned barrel or stamped trigger guard turn you off.
  6. Archetype_wyo

Exactly. Hit on all the points I missed there. If it is a rare model like the stamped rifles you could make a turn around on the rifle and then buy a milled Norinco that's in good shape and make it compliant and put a new stock on it and still have some money for some ammo.
  7. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Enthusiast

For $200 I'll take it milled, stamped or otherwise. Great deal!
  8. bigbadbob

bigbadbob G&G Newbie

Thanks everyone-
    I am going to pick up the gun on Sunday or Monday, I will post pics if you don't mind helping me identify what I have. Also, what is the best ammo for plinking and for self-defense or possibly deer hunting? I doubt I will use it for self-defense or hunting but I like to keep plenty of ammo around "just in case."
    Thanks again!
  9. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Enthusiast

10. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I too have heard of the rare and near-mythical "Stamped SKS", but never seen one - and I have seen a LOT of SKS's.
    Maybe they make a rifle scabbard to fit the Unicorn's saddle too.......

But, the stamped TG makes no difference to performance - those later rifles shoot fine. It just reduced production costs, same as the 'pinned' barrel.

If it's an early /26\ rifle - grab it! I love mine, and it's far superior to any Norinco. Some folks think ALL SKS are 'Norincos' - not true. The Chinese had so many provencial factories building SKS, it was virtually a cottage industry!
    Some rarer factories are very sought after by collectors!
  11. res45

res45 G&G Regular

Norinco,China North Industries Corp. is a multi faceted company,arms mfg. is just one of there subsidiaries. Norinco has nothing to do with any one particular arms mfg company or has any bearing on who or which arsenal made any particular SKS rifle. It's similar to American Co's that have multiple ventures under one roof.

Norinco is also an arms exporter which is why you see it stamped on Chinese SKS rifle. All Chinese arms mfg. come under the supervision of Norinco although they may be made by any one of upteen factories. My Arsenal /26\ made in 1965 all milled all matching has SKS 7.62 x 39mm Norinco Polytec Atlanta GA. stamp on the side.

Norinco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Introduction

Here is mine I bought NIB two years ago.
    [​IMG]
  12. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

The EASIEST way to tell if a reciever is stamped or milled is that the stamped reciever will have easy to see riviets. The milled will not.

Milled is cut from a single block of steel. You use a milling machine and it is very labor intensive and wastes a lot of metal.

Stamped is punched out of a sheet of steel. It is then bent formed drilled chamfered etc to make the part or reciever. It is faster than milled and cheeper to produce but not as strong.

Also as far as recievers are concerend, you screw a barrel and stock directly into a milled reciever. You have to use a trunnion to screw a barrel into a stamped reciever. And another trunnion to screw the stock on to it as well.
  13. Capt.Hotpants

Capt.Hotpants G&G Regular

The chinese military NEVER used the stamped receivers. The stamped rifles were made for commercial sales only. I wouldnt buy one as a shooter, id get a Yugo or something for that. Also the stamped rifles are worth money to a sks collector if its in original shape.
  14. bigbadbob

bigbadbob G&G Newbie

So I picked up the gun and I still can't figure out when it was made. It has a triangle with an upside down triangle inside of that which has the number "3" in it. I am trying to post pictures but I am not sure if they are going to show up. The serial # starts with 2200 and there is an "A" at the end of the serial #. "SKS 7.62x39 CHINA NORINCO PTK INT'L ATL GA" is also stamped on the side. ....and 3 chinese symbols next to the traingle. The gun seems to be in great shape, the wood could maybe be refinished but all the steel seems flawless. He also threw in two leather belt-type ammo pouches, an over-the-shoulder type ammo holder, 13 stripper clips, and a NcSTAR sks scope mount. All for $200 ($125 if my you are talking to my wife!)

Attached Files:

15. Billyz

Billyz G&G Newbie

You got a good deal. Now enjoy it.
  16. res45

res45 G&G Regular

Your factory code is 6636,it will be hard to date because only the factory /26\ rifle can be reliably dated so it's really hard to say,but the spike bayo was introduced in the mid 60's if yours has a threaded barrel with locking lug and milled trigger guard then it was probably made in the mid to late 60's. The ladder sight can also tell you some things if it has a letter that look like an upside down U it's an early model.Late models had III symbol and police and commercial versions will have the #3 stamped on the sight.

Buy the way my /26\ has the same info stamped on the side of the receiver so our two Chinese SKS rifle came from the same importer mine has the A also so I think it has something to do with that but as yet after years of looking I have not found an answer to what the A means. The PTK stand for Polytech Industries.

Nice rifle,looks like somebody had trouble sighting it in the rear sight leaf is set up to four or five hundred meters,you need to get you a sight tool so you can zero it properly. Good shooting.

A few things you can compare.
    Milled trigger guard.
    [​IMG]
    Threaded barrel with short lug.
    [​IMG]
    Early issue Chinese SKS as referenced by rear sight character.
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  17. glove

glove G&G Newbie

I never saw a stamped SKS if anyone could post pics. I would like to see one. I know the AK are stamped.
    Dave
  18. res45

res45 G&G Regular

glove click on this link Yooper John's Gun Information then select SKS from the menu on the left and look on page #14 they have photos of the Chinese sheet steel receiver.
  19. glove

glove G&G Newbie

Man I am glad mine are machined, The stamped ones look like crap. Well I learned something new today. Thanks for the link.
    Dave
  20. MilkMan

MilkMan G&G Newbie

Umm on Yoopers page doesnt it show the differences between the two? It has been a while since I have been there so I may be wrong.