Different Types of semi-auto AKs available in the US

Discussion in 'AK47' started by BattleRifleG3, Jan 11, 2006.

1. BattleRifleG3

BattleRifleG3 Retired Moderator

Since this is a frequently asked question, I'll do my best to summarize what's available in the United States and some basic details. I will leave it open for a short time for folks to add stuff I may have forgotten, but please keep to the basic information and keep other discussions for other threads. This is just a one thread overview of models. Also please correct me if any of this is wrong.

In no particular order, here are the AKs available in semi-auto form to US civilians irrespective of state laws.

Chinese:
    Pre-ban Polytech and Norinco rifles withstamped or milled receivers, long and short barrels, threaded muzzles, bayonet lugs, and some with folding stocks. Models include Polytech Legend and more (please contribute and I will add them.)
    Other models made to comply with 1989 import ban are Polytech and Norinco MAK-90, MAK-91, NHM-90, NHM-91, BWK and such. These came with thumbhole stocks and no threaded muzzles or bayonet lugs.
    Also made a Norinco Hunter based loosely on the Valmet Hunter with a two piece classic sporting stock.
    These various models were chambered primarily in 7.62x39mm, but also came in 223.

Romanian:
    Cugir, Intrac, and ROMAK models imported before Clinton Exec Order in 2000. Had thumbhole stocks like the above Chinese models.
    SAR-1, 2, and 3 - Made in Romania but had enough parts replaced with US made ones (see other sticky) to be imported after the above ban.
    WASR 10, 2, and 3 - Imported as single stack rifles but most converted to double stack and using US made parts.
    The 1 or 10 models are in 7.62x39mm, the 2 models are in 5.45x39mm, and the 3 models are in 223/5.56x45mm. The ROMAK 3 is a larger rifle based on the RPK and chambered in 7.62x54R.

Hungarian:
    Various models imported with thumbhole stocks, no longer imported.
    Military parts kits and builds on US receivers include AMD-63 and AMD-65.

Polish:
    Various parts kit builds thereof, including 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm

Russian:
    Saiga rifles and shotguns available in 7.62x39mm, 223, 308, 12ga, 20ga, and 410. Factory made in sporting configurations to take proprietary mags, but 7.62x39 and 223 models are based on their military counterparts and are easily retrofitted with military stocks and to use military mags. Other Saiga models can have stock conversions but do not easily adapt to any other mags.
    VEPR models based on the thicker RPK design. Available in 7.62x39mm, 223, 5.45x39mm, and 308 with a variety of barrel lengths.

Bulgarian:
    Many thumbhole stocked versions available from before the Clinton Exec Order with milled and stamped receivers.
    Current stamped and milled versions available from Arsenal USA.
    Milled US receiver models called SAM-7 in 7.62x39mm and SAM-5 in 223.
    Single stack Bulgarian receiver rifles converted to take military mags called SLRs.
    Other current US stamped receiver versions available from Arsenal in 7.62x39mm and 5.45x39mm.

Egyptian:
    Generally copies of the Chinese models, with long and short barrels. Known as MAADI and MISR models.

Yugoslavian:
    Heavy duty models with many RPK features made in pre and post '89 ban forms in 7.62x39mm, 308, and 8x57mm.
    Parts kits now on the market and special receivers are available.

Israeli Galil:
    Pre and post '89 ban versions in 223 and 308, including a sporting version called the Hadar that had a full length one piece thumbhole stock.

Finnish Valmet:
    Pre bans only in 7.62x39mm, 223, and 308
    Valmet Hunter version with classic stock in 308 and 30-06.

Currently available choices include Saigas and conversions thereof, the WASR series in pre and post expiration form, VEPRs, ARSENAL USA models with stamped and milled receivers, ROMAK-3/PSL/FPK (mislabeled Romanian Dragunov), and builds from parts kits by Ohio Rapid Fire, Vector Arms, DCI, Arsenal, Krebs, AK-USA, and many students (there are no graduates) of the WECSOG - Wylie E Coyote School Of Gunsmithing - that means you and me. Other models no longer imported are still on the market in used or unused conditions, with prices varying greatly.
  2. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

correct me if i am wrong, but there was a VERY rare line of MAK 90's that had the folding stock like the AK47s
  3. BattleRifleG3

Are you sure those are MAK-90s and not a pre-Mak-90 Chinese AK by Polytech or Norinco? And are you referring to a sidefolder or underfolder?

If it WAS a MAK-90, which are all from 1990 or later after the import ban, and was a sidefolder, it was either illegally modified or it was modified using US compliance parts either before or after the ban.

If it was an underfolder, there were a few MAK-90s caught in customs with underfolders that had thumbhole stocks installed on top of the folders, forcing the folder to remain in the closed position. Really wierd looking, but I saw a few on occasion.
  4. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

BRG3- It said that it was a RARE mak 90 that has a UNDERFOLDING stock(no thoumbhole over it or anything. I was trying to find it the other day to link you
  5. BattleRifleG3

MAK-90s by their definition were modified to comply with the import ban. Either the one you are looking at had an underfolder installed after being imported or it had an additional thumbhole stock that was removed.
  6. FutureMarine

FutureMarine G&G Newbie

Okay thank you for your help BRG3
  7. grndesert

grndesert G&G Newbie

That's a good listing. I've had most all those models execpt for the Polytech
    legend..Never had that one.Those are all good. But when the next big gun
    show comes around Iam going to buy a KREBS custom AK.....
    Then start selling my off my imported Ak's....
  8. Jaymo

Jaymo G&G Newbie

Krebs Custom AK

grndesert-

I just read a nice article on the Krebs AK and it was rated quite high by the author and was very accurate for a weapon that has been known as the spray and pray variety (not semi-auto). The price was $999.00 which is not cheap but it is a beautiful black rifle !!
  9. Jaymo

Jaymo G&G Newbie

BattleRifleG3-

I have been bitten by a bug for the Yugoslavian AKM Model M70AB2 in 7.62x39 which is made by Century Intnl. Arms. It has a 17" barrel, underfolder stock and a nice set of folding nite sites (even though the tritium has been removed). Do you or anyone know how these stand up against any of the other AK/AKM semi-autos of their type ? Just thought I'd ask some advice before plunking down the dough. Thanks all for any help and advice !

A nice little test of this weapon is in the June 2006 issue of GUNS magazine starts on pg. 30.
  10. BattleRifleG3

Let's try to keep this sticky thread to model designations and differences. So far so good.

Please feel free to start new threads on various questions. I myself would be happy to see the AK forum get some more activity and new threads.
  11. Colt

Colt G&G Newbie

Hello G3,
    I dont mean to discuse ANY illigal gun activity on G&G so PPLLEEAASSEE dont take it that way i realy enjoy readin threads on this site and talking to other gun owners on your chat but i was wondering during a build if you could legaly make a fully auto ak if you have a tax stamp or is there no way to only asking because i have shot some fully auto's that were owned by some friends and they were a blast to shoot and i think it would be fun to own one myself if i can do t safly and legaly sorry if this creates any problems .

Thanks,
    Colt
  12. Cobra 76 two

Cobra 76 two G&G Newbie

First post here...

BRG3! HA! Found ya ...lol!

One thing to add about the Egyptian Maadi MISR-90s...

They were not just "Chinese copies" but actually used some Chinese parts from what I understand. Because they were "halfbreeds" and because of some issues with fitting the heavier Chinese barrels they are considered "bottom of the barrel AKs" by many purists. It has been found though that some of the earlier models like the one I own are very high quality and don't have the poor finish or hammer marks on the barrels that some of the later ones have. They are easily recognized by the fully enclosed Chinese front sights and angle cut receivers that require a custom made or fitted buttstock if the thumbhole is replaced with a standard AK stock. Mine had a welded plate across the back as it was originally made to be an AK pistol.

Nice forum!
  13. Doctor Larry K

Doctor Larry K G&G Newbie

Years ago I had an AK47 which I foolishly traded for something. I want to buy another one. What is a reasonable price to pay for a reliable one. I have a very modest collection and I want to add the AK.
    Any help would be appreciated. Also, what are a couple of brands I should stay away from?

Thank you

Doc
  14. joeshooter

joeshooter G&G Newbie

The saiga also comes in 30_06. Just thought I'd mention it.
  15. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

Link? I've never heard of or seen one.
  16. Pred

Pred Suspended

As far as I know you can buy a Saiga in .410, 12 gauge, .223, 7.62.x29, and .308. Never heard or seen of a factory Saiga in .30-06. Doctor, most every AK will go bang every time you pull the trigger. The cheapest AK's you can buy are the WASR-10's. The only downside to these rifles are the fact they are not factory high cap receivers(true high cap receivers usually have a dimple above the mag opening, about half way up the receiver on both sides. However the Saiga's don't if I remember correctly). Now, what happens is the monkeys at Century Arms take a dremel tool to them and open them up. You might have to clean it up a little, but if buying one just test a mag in a few of them and take one that has the least amount of wobble. With some type of optic, and refinish the wood, they make great guns for somewhere around $300-$400(don't pay more though). Next you have Norinco's and the Egyptian AK's. They are going up in price(should still be able to get them for around $400-$450) and are true high cap AK's. They have good accuracy, and a nice fit/finish. Yugo are next on the list, they are around $450-$600. Now, above that you have Arsenal from around $550-$1000. They have great accuracy for an AK, and are great all around guns. Saiga's can be had for under $350 in stock, low capacity form from the factory. If you've got some decent tools, and are not afraid to take a chance, you can convert them to nice high cap AK's for another, probably $100-$150. If you want something different, the Romak 3's are starting to show up all over the place for around $600-$800(Romanian version of the Dragunov). I horribly screwed up at the last gun show. I could have picked up a, what looked to be new Interarms Tantal for about $400. The ammo(5.45x39, I think) is still very cheap, and so are the mags. I'm still kicking myself for not buying it.
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  17. BattleRifleG3

I have a Saiga in 30-06, and made what is probably the first wooden stock for it in the US. The thread is somewhere in the AK forum, started by me.
  18. Pred

Pred Suspended

Again, I've never seen/heard of a Saiga in .30-06.
  19. BattleRifleG3

20. cubbieman

cubbieman G&G Newbie

it also comes in 20 gauge