DIY gun safes?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by LarBar, Dec 8, 2010.

1. LarBar

LarBar G&G Regular

Any of you built your own safe or basement type locker? I got this crazy idea
    of building something in my basement.
    My entry doors are not standard size for a large safe delivered and need an alternative.

Stay warm-----Lar
  2. trigger

trigger G&G Enthusiast

Ive seen them made out of old refrigerators
  3. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

There's gun safes for sale that come in pieces and you assemble them. Zanotti Armor is one, there's at least one or two other brands I can't think of at the moment.
  4. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

My uncle actually built a gun-room in his basement with 2-hour fire protection and a security door. It is about 8X8 and has many guns and a ton of ammo. Reminds me of a "panic room" but more along the lines of a "war room." hehe.

He finished the outside like any other room, drywall, paint, etc... On the inside, he used metal studs and 3/32" steel plate on the interior, to protect from penetration through the wall by badguys. The door is steel
  5. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

If you own your house, and plan to stay there for a long time, go for it! Build a heavy duty gun safe out of 1/4" steel, 4x8 foot sheets. If you weld, it is a good project. The sheets of steel are not too expensive, and can be moved with a hand truck.

If you do NOT own your home, I suggest one or more of those Job Site work boxes that you can lock with single keyed matching padlocks. The boxes come in 4 foot lengths, and can be easily moved in. They can be bolted to the floor. I have one for my "tactical" guns that I want to store laying on their side. It works great. Just don't lose the key. LOL
  6. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

One DIY possibility is an upright freezer. I feel it's a better choice than a fridge. The insulation is better and there are fewer shelves to remove. Also, many of the older ones come with built-in locks. Some of those locks are the circular key type, not easy to open, a plus for a gun safe.

There's also a psychological aspect to using an upright freezer. if you run a dehumidifier rod into the safe after removing the power cord for the compressor and plug it into the wall, any thieves will assume the safe is the freezer it appears to be and leave it alone, provided it is somewhere a thief would expect to find a freezer. People see what they expect to see; it's the old rule, "If you hear hoofbeats, think horses, not zebras." What a freezer gun safe does is make your zebra look like a horse. A thief in a house is on minus minutes from the moment he gets inside. He can't spend a lot of time looking in non-obvious places for things to steal. He's not likely to break open a locked "upright freezer" looking for guns, and he won't be likely to cart it off either.

Thus, if you are going to make a do-it-yourself gun safe, I feel the upright freezer route is the way you ought to go.
  7. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Enthusiast

I built one out of an upright freezer. Cost a total of $9, counting the lock and the bolts to fasten it to the wall. I'll try and get pics up.
  8. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    i used a truckbed drawer type toolbox.
    350lbs. empty
    i welded the biggest hasp i could find on it.
    and bought a bolt cutter proof lock.
    fits under my bed
    i installed handles to get it in the house.
    then removed them.
  9. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    out of sight.
    out of mind.
  10. Rambo

Rambo Your worst nightmare Forum Contributor

My buddy took a small room in his basement that was under the front stoop and put an old bank vault door on it. Pretty neat. I saw another guy that did a similar thing but built a false wall in front of it so you cannot tell where it is. If you are doing some remodeling, you can sometimes build a small, hidden closet for storing weapons discreetly around your house. Besides my steel gun cabinets, I have a couple of those hidden closets. They only hold about 4 rifles and 6 handguns each but they are shallow enough you cannot tell where they are.
  11. LarBar

LarBar G&G Regular

Thanks for the ideas guys.
    A pic off the wall Im thinking of blowing-out for a safe.
    Behind is an addition with shallow crawl. Is it possible without loosing structural integrity?

Attached Files:

12. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

A large commercial electrical panel built in the wall.
  13. rondog

rondog G&G Enthusiast

You can buy new vault doors from Amsec and Ft. Knox, probably others. I've thought about expanding our basement, installing a vault door in the existing basement wall, and making a really big gun room/vault. It would be the ultimate! But I ain't rich. Vault Doors by Fort Knox
  14. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Have a house framing carpenter look at your wall. Tell him you want to put a doorway through it. See what he recommends for shoring up the wall/overhead structure.
  15. Shotgun Rain

Shotgun Rain G&G Newbie

My idea of a DIY gun safe is a room constructed of concrete/brick, with steel bars surrounding my guns in the special room.

Basically, locking your guns in a prison cell. I love welding so I could see myself doing this one day.
  16. IMH1

IMH1 G&G Newbie

you can re structure the wall, you just need to head off the opening, the size and type of material will depend on the span and amount of load coming down on it, either steel or LVL. It can be done with no issues
  17. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Mmmm,

any good welding shop can make a basic guncase to your specifications. You can then insert wood and felt where necessary to support your firearms.