Do hay bales break carbon shafts?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by alwaysaz, Jun 24, 2010.

1. alwaysaz

alwaysaz G&G Newbie

The boy scout camp I went to growing up had us shoot into hay bales, but they were very weak bows.

How do carbon shafts hold up against hay bales when they are shot out of new compound bows?

I cracked a shaft when I shot one of the corner targets on a foam block that had that moved. The arrow went out the side instead of the back and that's all it took to put a nice crack in the shaft. I thought it wise to ask before trying out shafts and ruining more arrows.
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

most hay bales wont even stop a carbon arrow.
  3. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

I shoot into hay bales sometimes. Straw and Hay both do okay, but they will not stop an arrow from a full strength bow. A heavy piece of foam or a few sheets of cardboard will slow it down, but it is hard on your fletching and you may lose arrows inside the bale anyway.

I use Hay for my 30 lb re-curve with good success though.
  4. magicjeep

magicjeep G&G Newbie

I just started shooting a bow again. I have a new compound bow set at 50# (I believe) and while I was sighting it in I missed the target and nailed the 4x4 post holding up another target. It took some digging, some fighting and a few choice words but I got the arrow out without any damage to the shaft. After seeing that I would think bales wouldnt damage a carbon arrow but like the posts above I would worry about the arrow passing through.
  5. don5544

don5544 G&G Regular

Will not damage.

It depends on how tight a bale is packed on whether or not it will stop the arrow.

You get a heavy bale of coastal and it should stop it.
  6. Rodax

Rodax G&G Newbie

Right On

Don 5544 is right on. I have shot carbon express from a 65 pound Hoyt compound bow into hay bales for years. There is no damage to the arrows. The bales will stop any arrow when new and tightly compressed in the frame. As they age, the frame needs to be compressed further or the bales replaced to prevent the arrows from passing through.
  7. sniper762

sniper762 G&G Enthusiast

MUST HAVE hit something hard that got bailed up with the hay.
  8. ottawa rogue

ottawa rogue G&G Enthusiast

you could always recompress the hay bales yourself.
    get a couple of lengths of 2x6 or 2x8, put 'em on the top and bottom.
    then go and get a couple of ratcheting tie down straps and wrap 'em around the outside of your bale stack.
    tighten 'em down and voila....no more pass throughs.
    this worked real well with gold tips and easton axis arrows shot through a 70lb pearson spoiler.
    the arrows would stick out in the back about 3".
    and you can always adjust your tension for more or less arrow penetration.
  9. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

always check the shaft real good after hitting a hard object. if the carbon shaft is cracked, it can come apart when fired and put a bunch of carbon splinters thru your arm & hand. it has happened at my brother's archery club range. real messy!
  10. VladmirVarmintr

VladmirVarmintr G&G Newbie

if the arrow can take hitting bones of an animal, it can take a bale of hay. just keep everything in mind you would when shooting anything else.
  11. alwaysaz

alwaysaz G&G Newbie

Tons of good info here. Based on what I saw here I decided to give it a try. I set it up but have not had the chance to use it yet.

I picked up 8 bales of straw. I lined up the bales 2 deep with a piece of cardboard sandwhiched between the 2 layers. I am hoping that the added resistance will keep the Fletch from hitting the cardboard.I am planning on shooting a compressed foam block that rests on top of the 1st row of straw and backs against the cardboard and of the second row. This should stop the block from hopping around while I shoot and gives it a nice big backdrop. I will try shooting the double stack straw bails as well. My biggest worry with that is that I will be searching for needles in a haystack...

I'll let you all know how it works out for me after I have a couple of chances to use it, and throw a couple pics up.
  12. alwaysaz

alwaysaz G&G Newbie

I didn't see this post before I got the bails. That would be perfect. If my arrows are going in too deep I will give this a try.
  13. alwaysaz

alwaysaz G&G Newbie

Works great.

I love the setup. The arrow is not getting out of the back of the bale when I shoot it. I have one bale set up on its side and the arrow gets through that bale, but the cardboard really stops it from going in more than another inch into the second bale. The bales seem to work as well or better than the block target, although the convenience of having targets printed on the block makes it my go to target.