Does cleaning a collectable firearm decrease its value?

Discussion in 'General Military' started by Capt'n Mil Coll, Apr 9, 2010.

1. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

Ok so most have seen the Antiques Roadshow.
    On there they have experts that seem to know everything about Chippendale Chairs, Dolls, Watches, Swords, Pottery, Marbles, Comic Books, Milk Jugs and everything else under the sun.

They also have experts on firearms.
    I have witnessed one rifle rusty from top to bottom that a guy brought in. Found it behind relatives door. It had a brass plaque that said it was a commorative rifle from Concord Bridge. One of one hundred. The shot heard around the world. They valued it at something like a half a million dollars. I have also watched when a guy brought in a Henry Golden Boy that had a steel reciever instead of a (what is it? brass or bronze).
    That was valued at quite a lot as well.

In all the cases no matter what the collectable firearm they tell the owners not to clean the weapon because that will decrease the value.

So my question is why would just cleaning a collectable firearm, and Im not talking about my WWII M1 Garand here, decrease the value?

Any thoughts or comments?
  2. 9mmXDm

9mmXDm Suspended

The PATINA will be taken away and that is something you don't want to do.
  3. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I've learned from that show and another one that you should have people who restore stuff do it.
    They know what to do and what not to do. Pawn Stars is the other show.
  4. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

I think it really depends on the condition of the firearm. If the gun is rusting or pitting badly, then you're going to want to try to stop the rust so it won't get any worse. Something like that is cleaning it to help preserve it's value. But if you strip it and reblue/refinish, then that will probably decrease value. But that is also dependent on what kind of firearm it is too, and whether or not it is rare like some of the ones you mentioned that were featured on the show.
  5. Krag 30-40

Krag 30-40 G&G Newbie

Any alteration of the original finish on an antique firearm is undesireable from a collectors standpoint.I would not call cleaning the bore an alteration of the original finish or the removal of old grease and oil on an antique firearm or routine oiling or waxing.Consider also those people on the Antique Roadhow are dealers.They are not storing and maintaining items for years.Rusty guns are rusty guns but when light surface rust appears as from handling you don't preserve that,there is no real history there.In museums where things are maintained in a regulated atmoshere in cases have been using waxes on firearms for long term preservation but they're never handled as a personal collection would be.

One of the biggest no nos is polishing the brass on old guns like muzzle loaders.You have a rifle with 200 years of wear on the stock and metal and the brass furniture all polished up like new.Nothing looks worse.

There is a difference in routine maintenance and cleaning.Sanding a stock down and cleaning the bejesus out of the metal with emery cloth or 10 steel wool isn't maintenance.
  6. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

One of the most neutral methods to clean on old gun is to use olive oil. Performs a couple of functions, including getting the grime off the metal w/o removing any browning/patina that has occurred. Secondly, it will clean and moisturize the wood. Drying is one of the biggest problems with old wood stocks.
  7. Chris_B

Chris_B G&G Newbie

To get very technical, patina is not an original finish :) Neither is rust. However, restoration of a firearm is a subject that should be carefully considered and most times rejected

The answer to 'does cleaning affect value of collectible forearms' is "it depends on what you mean by cleaning"

I purchased an M1911 made in 1918 this year. It was filthy. All the crud in the barrel and all the dirt inside the pistol was not USGI, so I removed it all ;) What I did not do was scour it with a brillo pad to remove rust or touch up the blue where it was worn. Did I lower it's value? Why, no. What exactly makes a dirty firearm worth more? I feel there's a universe of difference between 'cleaning' and 'altering condition'

Taking the antiques roadshow example, cleaning a Matisse with a scotchbrite pad and acetone may make it less dirty, but it hurts value a little bit. That doesn't mean there's no way to clean that delicate thing properly. Transferring the idea to a rugged item like a firearm is much less difficult

The alteration of condition on the vast majority of potentially attainable firearms fascinates me. I was in the collector car hobby for a long while, where it's common practice to correctly restore original and out of production items to factory condition; items like four bolt main Buick 455 blocks or factory Stage 2 heads are a little rare and those items can cost a considerable amount; the car they could be on may be worth a considerable sum too; much more than the average firearm that may be resorted. But the firearm restoration is still considered a big no-no by most folks

I guess it's safe to say that in the case of the Musket, above, any alteration at all may detract from what a potential buyer may consider to be 'correct'
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  8. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Well,

a difference exists between cleaning and altering the appearance.

There is nothing wrong with removing dirt and grease from a firearm.

However, as objects age they develop what is known as a patina from years of exposure to the atmosphere, the sun, etc. Removing this patina from an antique firearm can really lower its value to collectors and museums.
  9. Capt.Hotpants

Capt.Hotpants G&G Regular

With firearms less is more. Firearms restoration is stopping rust, cleaning grime, preserving wood. Its not strip down the parts, reblue, sandblast, etc.

Collectors want original, not new.
  10. cheapblaster

cheapblaster G&G Enthusiast

I once told a friend who had an old Winchester lever action just this. "Clean it, oil it. That's it. Do not try to 'pretty it up', you will wreck it's value." Does that about sum it up?
  11. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Oddly enough, I use the same thing to fry up venison steaks.. :D
    The oil, not old guns..
  12. franchi

franchi G&G Newbie

some collectors want the gun in the dust grime and rust so it can be properly preserved. some people will take a gun that is worth a lot of money and take half the value off becaue they got bored and had some sand paper or a wire brush lying around.
  13. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Only experienced antique restorers should do preservation work.

The amount of time & care that goes into restoring an old Edison Chifferobe is substantial,
    and one should put the same time & effort into their antique weapons.

On the other hand, if you are going to go out & shoot the stuffings out of it, do whatever is neccesary to make it work properly.

If the item is a valuable wall-hanger/safe queen...keep it that way.

If you want to enjoy a firearm the way God intended...clean & Fire :D

I have a 1913 Marlin model 37, currently in shootable condition, and I've enjoyed shooting it :)
    [​IMG]
    I've been deeply considering how I want to go about its reconditioning...VERY carefully considering...

However, I intend to make sure it functions properly so that it will be an enjoyable shooter
    for at least another 50-100 years.

The original finish on the stock is worn off in spots...it has a funny cracked look in places.
    The blueing is brown all over...and there are a few pits from rust...
    and in some places it's gone completely.

So...since it is a properly-working firearm which is a joy to shoot...what should one do??

Part of me wants to do a total stock restoration...using the old methods.
    Strip & refinish using early 1900's methods, but I'm a bit stuck on which way to go there...
    Varnish...BLO...Tung oil...I'm not 100% sure which was original for Marlin rifles, still researching that.

The blueing I'm loath to do anything more than keep the rust off of it and keep it well-oiled.
    But...if I redo the furniture, should I go ahead and have it re-blued or even Nickel-plated??
    What's the harm after having already redone the stock??

I prefer making it look as nice as posssible, as it's current condition is rather rough...
    and none of my rifles looks anywhere near as beat-up and abused as this one...

So should I just keep it clean & well-oiled, or tear it down for a total refinishing???