EAA Windicator 357 Mag

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by rl356, Jun 2, 2008.

1. rl356

rl356 G&G Newbie

I recently found a brand new EAA Windicator 357 Mag at my local gun shop for $190 and some change. I handled it a little and found the lock-up to be decent, the actions were crisp, and overall this seemed to be a fairly well built piece. As with all of my firearm purchases, I like to do a little online research before I commit to spending the money on it. It seems that there isn't any recent information out there about this firearm. All my search results kept pointing me in the same direction of a review on handloads.com that is dated back in 2003. Anyone here have any personal experience with this revolver, and if so, any information that you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
  2. troylaplante

troylaplante G&G Newbie

I bought one about two years ago. I did some reading online first. Specifically, this article gave me perhaps the most info. The online reviews were OK, so I got one for $179. The problem with the ejector rod mentioned towards the bottom of the page is EXACTLY what I have as a problem, as well. I have to constantly twist the ejector rod a bit for it to sit properly for the cylinder to latch in place. That is my only complaint. It is a bit of a pain to regularly fiddle with the ejector rod. Two friends of mine prefer my Windicator to my S&W Airweight since it is heavier and easier for them to hold steady. It is solid in construction but will win no beauty contest. I usually fire .38 special in it, since I also shoot .38, but it handles .357 just fine.
  3. rl356

rl356 G&G Newbie

Thanks Troy. That article you posted was the same article that I had kept coming across in my search for information. Since it was dated back in 2002 I was hoping that maybe the manufacturer had changed the design, or the material used, in order to correct the issue with the ejector rod. When you say that you have to twist the ejector rod around in order to get the cylinder to lock up now, is that just when you're reloading, or is it something that you have to keep an eye on while firing?
  4. troylaplante

troylaplante G&G Newbie

It is primarily when reloading. The cylinder will not snap shut and lock without twisting the ejector rod out of full extension. I can not recall ever having the problem while firing. It does not happen each and every time, but sure was frustrating when I was having to figure out what the problem was and how to overcome it. As I said, I bought it (as I check my file cabinet and pull out the purchase receipt) 6/8/06. I am not sure of the date of manufacture and have not checked, but I can tell you the problem still exists on mine.

I just pulled mine out of the safe to play with it. The ejector rod got caught three out of five times I unlatched the cylinder and kept the cylinder from locking back in place. I did the usual quick twist and it snapped back in place. After that, I just turn the ejector rod clockwise a good five or ten turns and the cylinder locks in fine every time. I don't get it, but it is a quirk of that particular revolver.
  5. rl356

rl356 G&G Newbie

Thanks for the input Troy. I think I'll go ahead and pick this one up.
  6. stnemason

stnemason G&G Newbie

It's been a couple of years - how is it working?
  7. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

Last edited: Dec 1, 2010
  8. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

I had one. For the price it was a nice gun. Very heavy for a snubby but shot well and the weight helped reduce the recoil. Was accurate and shot every time I pulled the trigger. I liked it. I sold it because I bought it to carry and it was too heavy to use as a carry gun. Otherwise I was happy with it.
  9. Kdye

Kdye G&G Newbie

Some problems

So it's a little late for this to really matter but I bought this gun for it's cost and the stopping power. At first it was great, obviously easy maintenance, with no problem. Then about a month later as previously Stated, the ejecting Became a problem which really isn't that big of a problem. But a serious problem followed about a week later. When firing with .357 ammunition, the cylinder came loose and fell out to the side. Like really!!! If I wouldn't have been target shooting for accuracy,(slow shooting) there could have been some serious injuries.....!! So I took the freaking thing back in a rage ( to gander mountain), an figures the gunsmith wasn't there. Guess how he fixed it, lock-tight.... As ghetto as it sounds its worked fine ever since. But would I buy another EAA.... I might think twice about paying a couple extra dollars for a better quality. But I can't talk to much crap because it's still one of my favorite guns, it's a little hand cannon.....
  10. bmartin1966

bmartin1966 G&G Newbie

First 100 rounds

My wife just bought me the Windicator .357 magnum and I went to the range for the first 100 rounds. I must say that the first 100 rounds went off perfectly. Very accurate and no problems so far. i will update with further trips to the range.
  11. TACAV

TACAV G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

lol thread resurrection from 2008!! I wonder how rl356's gun is holding up lol.

I have no experience with this gun but from reading all the reviews since 2008 it seems that people like the thing for shooting standard pressure loads but the one most common thing people have against it is that the ejector and spring and lock up does not hold up well to lots of high pressure .357s and .38+p's.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2011
  12. rl356

rl356 G&G Newbie

It's not holding up well at all. Didn't take too long for the lock-up to get nice and loose on me. Sold it to an acquaintance who thought he could rectify the situation.