Eagleriver generator quality and reputation?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PONTIACDM, Jan 13, 2012.

1. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

Has anyone had any experience with an EagleRiver generator? Menards has one for a three day sale at $77. It says 1200 watts on it but the box says running 800 watts. I just wanted something small to operate a couple of lights and maybe the fridge. I figured for that price I would get it. I'm curious about the reputation and reliability they have.
  2. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Guide

PONTIACDM: Sir, I'll not speculate, use this, you too can find "usage"

Backup Generators: Consumer Reports

Most manufactor models for EPA restrictions, are carbureted very lean, sometimes being a pain starting
    Learn the starting habit now, not when you are depending on it
  3. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

Most all of the newer Chi-com generators are over rated in power output. The 1200 watt figure on this little unit would be for but a mere few seconds till the engine began to bog down. Even at 800 watts it most likely would struggle. My other issue with many of these "micro" size generators is that some are 2 cycle. Even in the best of weather I find fighting a 2 cycle engine annoying.

tim
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I wouldn't bet on running a fridge on 800 watts. I have an 1800W (2250W starting) genny, and figure it MIGHT run the fridge if needed. Looking at various fridge specs online, it looks like about 1500 watts is average.
    I plan to upgrade to a 4KW unit soon.
    A buddy has run his fridge with a Honda E2000 genny.
  5. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I appreciate the input from everyone. Bigdog I looked at my fridge and it says 600 watts. If nothing else I'll have lights.
  6. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

A fridge in normal cooling mode doesn't use but maybe 1/2 the power that is listed as max, its when they go into defrost mode that they use label rated power.

I looked at a couple places yesterday at generators. You can get a 1500/2000 peak 4 cycle for 200 or less. Fairly light too and would fit in the trunk of a car. One place even had a Champion brand display unit on clearance for 150ish.

tim
  7. ottawa rogue

ottawa rogue G&G Enthusiast

the 1200W rating is most likely peak wattage, figure on the 800W as a continuous output rating
  8. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I'll upgrade at a later date. The price is really what caught my eye on this one. I know you get what you pay for. I think this one will be all I need at the moment.
  9. Brother Bob

Brother Bob G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I bit the bullet and purchased a whole house stand-by generator. It's rated at 18 KW and runs off of propane. I have two propane tanks and plan on getting another, I'd like to have 2,000 gallons of propane when all is said and done. We live so far out in the sticks that it takes weeks sometimes to get electricity restored due to the weather. Keep in mind that gas stations can't pump fuel without electricity. I've driven over 50 miles looking for gasoline. When we finally found one with power, there was 10,000 cars lined up waiting to top off their cars and fill gas cans. Keep plenty of gasoline and 2 cycle oil around if this is what you want to do.