Electronic Ear Muffs

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Johnny_Revolver, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Johnny_Revolver

Johnny_Revolver G&G Newbie

You heard that right.. Nyuk nyuk..

Ahem anyway, I`m partially deaf. I suffered a nasty head injury as a callow youth on a bicycle which rendered my left ear all but useless other than for aesthetics.

When I`d be at the range and a conversation would strike up ( hah! like that happens when a group of gun nuts are in a room .. ) I`d slightly uncover my good ear to hear, provided no one else was blasting away.

One day, a guy offered me a go of his .357 mag Desert eagle, I had the ear uncovered to get the finer points on its operation, then let one off with my ear uncovered.. In a booth at an indoor range..

Yep, it rang for a couple days, lucky it was a semi auto, my GP100 + Winclean divided by no ear protection = :34:

So, I lashed out on a set of the aforementioned Electronic Ear Muffs yesterday at the range and put them to immediate use.

They cost me 80 and change, have the Sporting Shooters of Australia logo on them.

Well, at first? It all seemed sureal. I found I could actually hear BETTER than with out them on. Anything above conversation level gets cut out.

I sauntered into the range proper, and I`ll be buttered on both sides, these things are super.

Glen the range guy has a pair and was doing a supervised shoot for 2 young guys and girl. Beside us an older gent was putting a few mags of 45ACP down range, the 2 young guys were flailing away with a GLock and a 92 Beretta 9mm, the girl with a Ruger MkI, there were 2 others shooting centrefire pistols.

Glen and I conducted a conversation at normal levels with all this going on.

I`d say, if you go to the range even once a month, do yourself a favour and get some of these things, they are the ducks guts.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2007
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

ive had a set of peltors for a couple of years now, it is great that you can listen to people talk 50yds away from you.
  3. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

I bought a pair at Harbor Freight a few years back and they have already fallen a part. But, you get what you pay for with stuff from there.

I have since been wearing regular Peltors.

Lefty, how much did those Peltor electronic run ya?
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

maybe $120. you can get the peltor#6's for $80-90 when on sale. ive got the 7's, but for rifle or shotgun, the 6's would be a better choice.
  5. redhed

redhed G&G Newbie

We have a pair made by a company called North that we paid something like 25 dollars for when a friends gun shop went out of business. Can't say anything bad about them other than the fact that we keep forgetting to turn them off and killing the batteries before their time.:09: Other than that, they seem to be comfortable and functional. I wasn't aware that they came in different #'s. Is it a matter of decibel control?
  6. jashoffa

jashoffa G&G Newbie

I have a pair of Peltors, my wife got them for me for my birthday one year. One of the best things you can have for yourself. I like them for countless reasons but I tell you what they are the best for shooting in a group. The bad thing. I forget that others may not have Electronic muffs and so I forget to speak up sometimes. I just love the way you can hear everything that is going on and you can hear the birds and other wildlife while you shoot at the outdoor range. I even enjoy using them when no one is with me. Lets me hear if someone else is walking up and what not. I have even taken a phone call on my cell on speaker while I am messing around at the range and can hear the phone just fine.
  7. Dale

Dale G&G Newbie

Thank ya, Lefty.
  8. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Johnny, could you and Lefty list some E-mail addressesfor these. They sound great.
  9. rckymtnboy

rckymtnboy G&G Newbie

I love my ProEars...except I have the same problem as redhead, I keep forgetting to turn the darn things off and run the batteries down. I don't know if the Peltors do it or not, but my ProEars are directional...kinda like surround sound. You can tell what direction different sounds are coming from, so it's not so awkward when you have them on. Great to use while hunting as well.
  10. jashoffa

jashoffa G&G Newbie

My peltors have a separate mic for each ear and you can tell what direction sounds are coming from. I haven't used my hunting yet but that is not to say I wouldn't. I could see how it could be very useful for a waterfowler. I am not sure about upland or big game but I suppose you could still use them.
  11. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

midway usa is one place to look, also natchez sells 'em. pretty much any place that sells gun parts and accessories sell electronic ear muffs.
  12. meatloaf

meatloaf G&G Newbie

I was wanting to purchase a pair of electronic ears, what's the best brand?
  13. Windwalker

Windwalker G&G Newbie

Thanks for the info. Lefty.
  14. bs1865

bs1865 G&G Newbie

If you are looking for a good pair of electronic ear muffs without laying out big $$, check these out:

Howard Leight Impact

Cabela's -- Howard Leight Impact™ Sport Earmuff

These are very comfortable, excellent amplification for normal conversation, 22db noise reduction for blast, automotic shut off, great clarity, volume control and external audio plug.