Fastest shooting non semi-auto rifles

Discussion in 'Curios and Relics' started by asdaven, Dec 13, 2012.

1. asdaven

asdaven G&G Regular

Mostly im talking military rifles. For all purposes, I will include lever actuon rifles in pistol caliber as they did have a role in Westward Expansion and the Indian Wars. Im just curious which non semi auto rifle you all find to put the most rounds per minute down range. From the rifles I own, I find a Swiss K31 to be the fastest non semi auto I own. I would think a Lee Enfield would still further outclass that due to its 10 round vs 6 round capacity. Lever action rifles in high powered pistol calibers such .357 mag or 44-40 I would imagine would come very close in rate of fire to a Lee Enfield. I have found lever actions in rifle cartridges such as 30-30 or 45-70, to not have a high rate of fire due to the power to weight ratio (greater muzzle rise and longer to get back on target) and the longer lever throw and longer action loses the mechanical advantage of the lever action. The long rifle calibers are faster in a bolt action IMO. I know Remington has made some pump action rifles as well, dont know peoples mileage with them. Comparatively, I find a K98 faster than a Mosin and faster than a 03 Springfield. The M1917 might have an edge on the Springfield due to cock on close and 6 round vs 5 round capacity. I find the Mosin to be the slowest of them all due to placement of the bolt handle. What about Krag Jorgesons, steyr mannlichers, Ross rifles? I find that the Steyr 5 round in bloc clip would be slower than stripper clips on the other weapons. However, if it like 8 rounds like the Garand then it would be worth it vs an 8 round stripper clip.
    Your opinions?
    Thanks
  2. animalspooker

animalspooker G&G Regular

Plus it takes me a while to pick myself up off the ground, dust myself off and then find my gun again.
  3. mouser868

mouser868 G&G Enthusiast

Why are you in a hurry, I'd rather shoot slow and hit what I'm aiming at than spray and pray and miss
  4. 99dragon99

99dragon99 G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

The fastest non-semi that I have is a pump 22. I don't have a pump center fire to compare so I can't really say much, but my experiences are as follows:

Mosin - stiff bolt
    Mauser - better
    Yugo Mauser - better yet
    Swiss K98 - Much better
    Winchester 94 30-30 - nice but ejected rounds hit me in the head or come close to it.

With the pump action I find myself to be able to fire faster because the finger never leaves the trigger. I have issues with the bolt action but that is related to practice. The straight pull Swiss does however "feel" better....
  5. GUNZABLAZIN

GUNZABLAZIN G&G Enthusiast

Oops, what is a Swiss K-98??? :silly:
  6. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

Marlin Lever in .44 Magnum spits 10 rounds out fast, and with a good punch, as well.

For those that are "sensitive" the Marlin Lever in .45 Colt is equally fast, just not as much recoil.

Unlike the Winchesters, the cases fly out to the side, not in your face.
  7. RedneckCatholic

RedneckCatholic G&G Enthusiast

The Valley Below the Uplandish Volksgemeinde
    The worlds record for aimed fire from a bolt gun was set by an Enfield...for what it's worth to you to know about it.
  8. gsbuickman

gsbuickman G&G Newbie

Its hard to beat an enfield. It just sucks that its getting ammo is such a pain in da' butt..........
  9. shop tom

shop tom G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

The fastest I have ever shot a non-auto rifle was a Remington pump Model 14 in 35 Remington.

tom
  10. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

Carcanos have been purported to fire pretty fast....unbelievably fast some think. ;/

My Mosins are slow, not gonna set any records. I'm pretty fast with a 30/30 lever if I want...but no where near semi-auto speed.

The fastest thing I shoot besides semi-auto .22s is a pump 12G. So I would hazard a guess that a pump rifle would be my fastest. I have shot a few pump rifles but never tried for speed.

Been interested in those pump Remington .223s that take the AR mags.
  11. asdaven

asdaven G&G Regular

Rapid fire is interesting because it has a fun factor. And there are ways of shooting super quick and still being accurate enough to hit your target. The British can do it with their Lee Enfields and Cowboy Action Shooters do it with their lever actions. The Lee Enfield with trained soldiers could lay down more lead than Americans with Garands in some cases. And in the Old west, lever action rifles were the assault rifles of the day. The Swiss K 31 certainly is different. Quick, being a straight pull, but the handle is not close to the trigger. The straight bolts like Yugo/Czech Mausers or the Mosin Nagants, I have found no where as quick as a bent bolt. The most effecient way to operate these is to use your palm. However, these have a wider arc of travel. I have a 24/47 Yugo Mauser and an actual German K98. While the 24/47 bolt is a slightly tighter fit in action and slightly smoother, the K98 is quicker due to the bent bolt and closeness of the handle to the trigger. The K98 is the first bolt gun ive ever picked up for the first time and instinctively shot it and worked the action while still on my shoulder and not loose the sight picture. The German K98 is the fastest shooting Mauser hands down. Im sure if I picked up a Lee Enfield for the first time I would instinctively do the same thing as the bolt handle is place super close to the trigger just like the K98. No reaching for the bolt like on a Mosin Nagant. The M1917 and 03 Springfield have smooth actions and bent bolts but seem a lot stiffer and not as quick. The 03 Springfield has a wider arc bolt than the K98 or the Lee Enfield. A Lee Enfield is next on my "to buy" list.....ten round capacity, unique Cock on Close feature, and if you get a No. 4, it has peep sights. Then, there's the lever actions. A lever action is also on my "to buy" list. Someone mentioned a .44 mag lever gun and for low recoil, one chambered in 45 colt. How about .357 mag? Thats what im looking at. The .44 seems to cause more recoil and muzzle rise, where it's almost null for a .45 colt or. 357 mag. So, a lever gun in those two calibers would be even faster than one in. 44 mag. .45 colt is just as expensive as 44 mag, which makes the 44 more economical. More bang for the buck. 44-40 and 45 Colt are just for the novelty, when the 44 and 357 are more powerful. 357 would be the cheapest and most common ammo here and I believe packs more energy and range than a 44-40 or 45 Colt out of a rifle. The 357 while smaller bore makes up its energy to the bigger rounds with higher velocity. Only the 44 mag is more powerful. Super cheap 38 special can be used for quick close range cowboy action shooting and plinking. 44 and 357 magnum cartridges are the same length, so the action travel will be the same for either. The action will be a lot quicker than say a 30-30 , which is a lot longer round.
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  12. blaster

blaster G&G Enthusiast

pump actions are the fastest non semi autos. that is why they are banned along with the evil "assault weapons in civilized countries. I believe the Colt Lightining rifle was one of the best and most popular during the days of the old West. it was chambered in a variety of calibers. I like the pump action and have put many aimed rapid shots downrange with them. my favorite deer rifle is an old Rem. 760 but it is in .30/06 so it is rare that I need a follow up shot but when I do, it is fast.
  13. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    Yeah, I'll have to say it is hands down one of these:
    [​IMG]
  14. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    Yeah, ask Custer's boys how the breach loader's fared against the Henrys.
  15. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

16. GUNZABLAZIN

GUNZABLAZIN G&G Enthusiast

On an Enfield keep your thumb and trigger finger on the bolt and fire with your middle finger! I have seen it done, very fast way to shoot, takes a little practice for a "Mad Minute".
  17. swedesrus

swedesrus G&G Enthusiast

The Lee Enfield bar none, proven time & time again..................
  18. RedneckCatholic

RedneckCatholic G&G Enthusiast

The Valley Below the Uplandish Volksgemeinde
    I got an Ishapore L2a--it's simply a #3 Enfield manufactured in 7.62/.308.
  19. Tack Driver

Tack Driver G&G Enthusiast

Definitely the Lee-Enfield
  20. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

Rapid fire is indeed fun but it often is merely a waste of ammo.

One well placed shot is worth more than twenty helter-skelter shots.

Try working a pumper in the prone position...doesn't work out very well. A good smooth working bolt gun will outshine any other contenders except perhaps a semi with a shooter who believes in the mantra 'one shot, one kill'.

You don't have to be fast, you need to be skilled.