FEG PA63 9x18

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Spikestrip, Mar 16, 2007.

1. Spikestrip

Spikestrip G&G Newbie

I'm looking to pick up one of these for a song, $109 from J&G. I've gotta find someone here in So Cal with an FFL to do the transfer (Turners wanted $75 just for the transfer, not to mention the $25 background check!). I've read it has a heavy trigger pull, and am wondering if there is some kind of Bubba trigger job I could do... Anyone have one of these, and are you happy with it?
  2. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Newbie

Spike; most dealers will do a transfer for $20 around here. These guys are trying to get their profit margin out of the sale as if it was a regular item they had stocked.
    Don't know about the trigger pull; the Makarovs have a fine pull and the FEG is a copy so it should be similar.
  3. Teakwood

Teakwood G&G Newbie

Pardon
    The FEG PA63 is an enlarged copy of a Walther PP.
    It is not a copy of a Makarov PM. It bears no resemblance to a Makarov other than caliber.

As to the atrocious trigger pull and nasty kick of PA63, one can purchase a lighter 11# mainspring and polish the trigger mechanism to reduce the pull and replace the recoil spring with a 15# to help reduce the kick.
    These springs are made by Wolff Gunsoprings. Makarov.com carries them.
  4. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Newbie

Yes I know that the guns are copies from Walther. The Makarov is a copy of the Walther and so the Feg is an enlarged copy of a Walther. I had believed them to be exact copies having never seen one in person. Thanks for this info.

Question though how can a gun with such a small calibre kick so much in a gun that weighs more? The makarov 9X18 has little kick, a larger gun as you say it is should kick less?

Having never shot a FEG I would tell you to try a Makarov to compare trigger pulls/kick.
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2007
  5. Teakwood

Teakwood G&G Newbie

Whoa!
    The Makarov is NOT a copy of a Walther. The only things it has in common with a Walther is a pull-down trigger guard and blow-back action.
    The Walther has about 45 individual parts.
    The Makarov has about 25.

They are two different pistols.

With regard to kick, with the PA63, it is more like "bite."
    I can easily put 300 rounds through one of my Makarovs in an afternoon with no discomfort.
    As to the PA63, my hand hurts badly after less than 50 rounds.
  6. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Newbie

Really; Man I am gonna have to get ahold of one. Everything I have read is that it is a clone of a walther. I just looked up the schematics on both and there are some differences in the two as well as some similar parts also.

I still find it difficult to believe that the PA63 is so much more difficult to shoot than the Mak. I enjoy my mak; never liked the look of the PA63; might have to own one now just to see! So the FEG's are a copy of a Walther. How does the Walther compare to the Mak and ther PA63 when shooting?

Thanks Teakwood; learn something new everyday! :hitwithrock:
  7. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

I can say from building grips for them that most will benefit from just a good cleaning\lube job. The double action pull is long and fairly heavy, but I've shot brand-new guns that were a lot worse.
  8. Zen900

Zen900 G&G Newbie

I have a bubba trigger job I did on mine. I cut down the hammer spring which lowered the pull to around 6 pounds. I ordered a new hammer spring but never used it because I liked the shortened spring job. (dont overshorten the hammer spring or youll get FTFs)I love my PA63 except for the safety lever takes a ball peen hammer to turn on and off. Well not that bad but you get the point. And yes you will have to replace the recoil spring. It is mush.
  9. Teakwood

Teakwood G&G Newbie

SPOCAHP ANAR
    If you will recall, the Makarov PM is all steel and somewhat heavier than the PA63, which has an alloy frame. I have one PA63, 3 Walther PPs, and a bunch of Makarov PMs.

The PA63 is the most uncomfortable to shoot out of the box, with its light frame and heavier 9x18M round. I have lightened the trigger spring and installed a 17# recoil spring in it, which makes it easier to handle. Also, I use a Hogue Handall grip on it. If one takes a firm grip, the recoil isn't too bad, but as I said, it does cause some abuse to the hand. As to accuracy, it is on a par with a Makarov PM.

I have Walther PPs in .32 ACP and in .380. In either caliber, they have snappy kick. The .380 has a kick about like the PA63, and I do not like to shoot it much either. As to accuracy and reliability, frankly I find the PA63 to be a better choice than the Walther PP .380. The reason I like the Walther in .32 is that I can empty a mag very quickly and I find its accuracy on a par with the PA63 and the Makarov.

In my opinion, the best choice is the Makarov PM. The slightly heavier weight is offset by the stability and shooting comfort that adds.
    The PA63 comes in a close second for accuracy and has an advantage in weight, but it still is not very comfortable for an afternoon's shooting.
    The Walther in .380 is cute, but expensive and has no real advantages over the other two.

Bottom line is that the Makarov PM is best overall for me.
    If anyone is considering a Walther in .380, I would recommend a FEG (PA63 or other) instead. They are lot cheaper and, in my experience, perform better. Just be aware that the alloy frame will eventually crack and one should not use ammo with bullet weight over 95 gr.

BTW, the FEG factory has had a license from Walther to manufacture PPs for many years.
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2007