FEG PMK-380

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by kennyboy, Sep 24, 2008.

1. kennyboy

kennyboy G&G Newbie

I just inherited this piece and would like to know more about the pro/cons etc. It has K.B.I. Harrisburg and AJ 2358 on the barrel. Is it a good carry gun, good reliability? What would be the value in good condition? I am thinking of a Glock 19 if I sell this one. Thanks for any help. Kennyboy
  2. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

I own two FEGs, though not your model. They are very reliable.

The PMK-380 is a Walther PP/PPK type pistol, with a 7 round magazine. .380 ACP, aka 9mm Kurz or 9mm Short, is on the low end of personal defense calibers, but if your pistol will reliably shoot hollowpoints or jacketed hollowpoints it can work in the personal defense role. Hey, the price is right.

You might also take a look at gunbroker.com and enter PMK 380 as your search string. There are some PMK-380 magazine going cheaply there right now. You'll need more than one or two to practice with.

And welcome to the forum. I hope you'll find it's everything you hoped for.
  3. kennyboy

kennyboy G&G Newbie

Thanks Cyrano. What is the difference between .380 ACP and .380 AP? The latter ammo I was given with the gun.
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

"AP" is an abbreviation commonly used to indicate "armor piercing" ammunition. As far as I know, no one has ever made armor piercing bullets for the .380. I'd suggest you buy a box of .380 ACP and compare the rounds you got with the pistol to it. I'd bet they're the same.

Look the pistol over carefully. Somewhere on either the slide or the ejection port you'll find the caliber of the pistol stamped into the gun. Being that FEG is a European company, you may see something like "9mmK" stamped on it. That's shorthand for 9mm Kurz, or 9mm Short in English; which is what Europeans call .380 ACP. Or, because it was imported by Kassnar (what the KBI stands for) it may have ".380 ACP" stamped on it.

If you still have reservations about what ammo it takes after doing this, take it to a gun shop and have the gunsmith take a look at it. He'll be able to tell you the correct ammo for it.

And don't forget what I said about going to gunbroker.com and seeing about getting extra magazines for it! You want at least three magazines to go with your pistol. Otherwise, you'll spend more time loading the magazine than you will shooting it when you take it to the range. Much more fun if you have multiple magazines. Good luck!
  5. kennyboy

kennyboy G&G Newbie

Thanks again. Will check out that site.
  6. modificationvt

modificationvt G&G Newbie

this was my first carry gun, and I still take it to the range with me when ever I go shooting. The only issue I have had with it was it not going fully into battery with some ammunition, but it was nothing a quick tap on the slide couldnt fix.
  7. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

I've got one of these, and it is a great gun. Only thing I don't like is the single screw holding the grips on. It seems to always come loose after maybe 30-40 rounds of ammo through the gun. I always take a little screwdrive with me to the range because of it. I tried to find some Hogue-type grips. Was unable to. I also tried to find some additional magazines, was unable to.

One thing I noticed is that the magazine is not heavy enough to self-eject when you push the mag release. I just slide it a bit with my pinky to get it out of its seat a little bit and it falls out. So, this might be a bad thing during a reload (if you need to reload) in a self-defense type situation.

Overall, though, the gun is great, I like the weight of it...Full Blued Steel. The finish is awesome of for a $265 gun. Reliability-wise, I haven't had too many problems with it. Had a couple stove-pipes with it during break in, but that was it. Easy to strip (though don't lose the ejector spring, EEK!)

The biggest flaw with owning this firearm is that there are not readily avaiable parts for it. This model of FEG is no longer imported to the United States, so it could become a collector's item at some point, but that hurts the parts availability. I searched high & low for parts, to no avail.

I also have A scanned version of the user manual. I made a post of it at some point, but the scans of the user manual (PDF) can be found at the following link, as well as some pics of the gun. (I failed to scan in Page 12, so there is a photo of it there. The rest is in PDF format in the following link)

Index of /banzaibrothers2002/Guns/ACPs/FEG

If you decide to buy a different gun, might I recommend a Para Ord Warthog. They are awesome!
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008