figured out my Chinese SKS date

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by jlem, Feb 25, 2009.

1. jlem

jlem G&G Newbie

So just for fun I typed in to google ( Chinese sks markings ) and 3 hours later my head hurts and I know way more than I probably need to know. I did figure out the arsenal and date of my Chinese SKS from Yooper John web site. I always thought that all Chinese SKS where made by Norinco but I was very mistaken. So I figured out that my Chinese SKS was made by /26\ JIANSHE ARSENAL in 1963. So now I am curious if some Chinese SKS's are worth more than others which will be another night.

Attached Files:

2. larmus

larmus G&G Newbie

Jlem this is were everyone refered me to when looking for the year of manufacturing for my chinese...

Yooper John

lots of info on every type of sks...
  3. G23c

G23c G&G Newbie

wow, thats a great site. thanks!
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

MANY shops made the SKS in China - it was practically a cottage industry! We are still finding previously unknown manufacturers' codes, and they are added to Yooper John's chart. The dating by serial # range method for the SKS in China works for the /26\ factory, but will NOT necessarily work for other factories. From what I have read, the /26\ factory was the primary PRC arsenal for production, which is why we see so many compared to others.

Norinco was a late-comer to SKS production. Most of their guns were made for the commercial market. True military contract SKS rifles usually bring a higher value.