firearms over 100 years old and shipping requirements

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by FN FAL, Dec 11, 2011.

1. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

At one time I read that firearms 100 years or more old were no longer under the GCA control. Is that true?

If so can one have a firearm or parts shipped if they are 100 or more years old without getting an FFL involved?

I have spent the better part of the afternoon wearing my eyes out on the ATF website and have yet to find anything even remotely useful.

My suspicions are that when the C&R stuff come about they did away with the exemption for 100+ year old guns. But not sure of that.

So has anyone run into this situation?

tim
  2. ChaZam

ChaZam G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

ATF Online - Firearms - Frequently Asked Questions - Collectors

The ATF definition is those made in 1898 or before. Some local or state laws could prevent them from being shipped directly to some areas, but my M39 Finn with an 1898 Tula receiver was shipped directly from Pat Burns in NY to my house in Denton, Tx.
  3. docmaghee

docmaghee G&G Newbie

I know this is off the topic here, but to you ChaZam-I used to live in Denton-Home of Mean Joe Green-and graduted from Sanger High School. Been in Indiana for 30 years now.........
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The year 1898 is the key, FN FAL. When the law was passed (in 1998), the specification was that the firearm had to manufactured 100 years before or earlier. But they specified the year 1898, so even if the year stamped on the rifle is 1911 and therefore the gun is 100 years old, it's still not eligible to be shipped directly to you unless you have a Curio & Relic license.

Post-1898 and pre-1961 and on the BATFE Curio & Relic list, you can have it shipped to you on your C&R. Manufactured in 1898 or earlier, and anyone legally eligible to own a firearm can have it shipped directly to them. Post-1961, it has to go through a Class 1 FFL gun shop. All very straightforward, you see.

Of course, check your state laws to see what their attitude on Curio & Relic pistols may be. Some states will allow you to have a C&R pistol shipped directly to your address of record on the Class 3 license. Many don't. If you have a C&R license, the books you get along with it include a manual with the state gun laws for all fifty states and many large municipalities with weird gun laws of their own. Check and see if you have to ship your C&R pistol purchases to a Class 1 FFL gun shop, and what the state rules are concerning your taking possession of such a pistol.
  5. Ballbearing

Ballbearing G&G Enthusiast

Ooh, I'd like to get my hands on a nice Lee-Metford then.
  6. FN FAL

FN FAL NOT a new member Forum Contributor

Thanks for the quick replies, the rifle parts in question are from 1906 so that would make them still under the thumb of uncle sam.

thanks tim
  7. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

you can get the parts, excluding the reciever.