For Those That Reload Mosin Nagant

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by ctreser, Mar 10, 2010.

1. ctreser

ctreser G&G Regular Forum Contributor

We finally had some decent weather here in Ohio this last weekend. I was able to try some of these Hornady .312 174gr HPBT bullets I picks up from Graf and Sons over the winter. I tried them in 4 or 5 of my Russian Mosin Nagants. The results were outstanding. I was only shooting from 50 yards but was able to produce clovers with most of them. They slugged between .312 and .315 so I was happy to come across these .312 bullets. They look like Sierra MK's but quite a bit cheaper. Hopefully I can post a formal range report with pics before too long. Also if you have a C & R on file with Graf's you can get a discount.
  2. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

What and how much powder you use with those, and what brand of case?
  3. ctreser

Mostly Graf Brass. These were in front of 44grs IMR4064 and a O.A.L. of 2.970.
  4. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I use those bullets for my Mosin and .303 Brit loads. Great bullet!
  5. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

I still got a 1000 or so of the 2000 pulled 147 grain FMJBT's I got from Wideners for $152 shipped
  6. Ken in Iowa

Ken in Iowa G&G Enthusiast

I believe Clyde is talking about a different class of bullet there gandog. ;)

Thanks for posting about these Clyde. I did not know that Hornady was making these. They are not listed on thier site. Hornady does a good job at providing the fatter .312" projectiles. Just the ticket for the generous Soviet barrels and and the smaller .3105" FMJBT for the tight Finn barrels.

The surplus ammo is fine for blasting, but if you go to all the trouble of reloading, you might as well make good ammo.
  7. R5CYA

R5CYA G&G Newbie

thanks for the load data!
  8. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

I double-checked my bullets - they are the Sierra .311 174 grain FMJ-BT - NOT the Hornady.
  9. ctreser

Those Sierra's were my favorites until I found these Hornady's. Those Sierra's are just a little expensive. I usually shoot the 168gr .308 Nosler's out of my Finn's. I just picked up 100 of those .3105 Hornady FMJ/BT to try in a couple of my Finn's that slug a little large, for a Finn that is. Ken have you or anyone else tried those .3105 in a Finn? Kind of wondering what I can expect. Thanks
  10. Ken in Iowa

Ken in Iowa G&G Enthusiast

I have not but have a friend who had good luck with them in an M39.

Personally, I think they would be great in a Finn .310 bore that's a little worn.
  11. jimb2

jimb2 G&G Enthusiast

I tried some of that steel case Russian 203 gr hunting ammo in the red, white and blue boxes in my m38 this past week. at 25 yards the yellow tip military ball produced one hole groups, but this junk produced 8 inch patterns! Plus it often went "click, pop, bang!"
    In 40 rounds, I had 9 hangfires! I'll never waste my money on that crap again!