free ammo!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by stevem44, Oct 25, 2008.

1. stevem44

stevem44 G&G Newbie

ok well my friends uncle recieved 1000 rounds of 5.56 ammo from his friend that was a cop. the cop told him that they had alot of ammo that we never use so he just gave him 1000 rounds! he said they had thoudsands more!

but anyway, my uncle is a cop and i have a ar-15 and a .40 ( i think thats what they use now) if not i have a .45 to! and i think eveybody knows how expensive 5.56 ammo is! can a cop really do that? or does he have to work in the aromory or something like that! it would be great to have some free ammo, does anybody know how he could get some for me?

ohh what pistol round do they use? im pretty sure it was a .40 but last time i was at my uncles house he had 2 glocks, one in .40 and one in .45 and i forget which one was his personal and work gun.

thanks
  2. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

I'd be a little hesitant to accept it. If it sounds too good, you know the rest.

I may accept it with all the propper paperwork and signatures of the right people who know what's going down. Also, are we talking LA or Mayberry here.

As far as pistol caliber it can vary. Some depts mandateone caliber some give a choice. The 40 is gaining in popularity. Guys in my neck of the woods are about 1/2 .40 1/2 .45 I think some of the females still perfe the nine. No I'm not trying to be funny. The ladies just seem more comfrtable with it.
  3. stevem44

stevem44 G&G Newbie

lol mayberry, its a small police dept. i was just wondering, and my uncle also told me that after so long they get rid of their old ammo for new ammo.

ok thanks, im pretty sure my uncle uses his .40 for his carry gun
  4. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

An ex-cop I know got his M1A that way. (This was a lot of years ago.) The Army was cleaning out its stocks of M14s. They altered the trigger groups by changing out the sear (I believe) so you had a choice of Safe or Semi-Auto; no full auto capability. They gave the guns away to local police forces for their SWAT teams. His tiny department got a dozen of them, many more than they could use, and the chief gave several of them to the guys as to take home as personal weapons. He still has it and it shoots very well for him.

Up here, every so often (like every 15 or 20 years) some of the local PDs change their mandated duty guns. When that happens, a couple of the local gun stores get the deal to provide the town with new ones, and they take the old ones as trade-ins against the cost of the new ones. If you happen to like the old model, there are good deals to be had; and you'll know at least they were properly taken care of by the officers who had to trade them in.
  5. CO_Mountain_Boy

CO_Mountain_Boy G&G Newbie

Hmmm....sounds kinda fishy. We have to trade in our old ammo and weapons in exchange for new ones. We also have to keep track of how much ammo we use at the range, even for personal use. The government keeps pretty tight records on this. Maybe it varies by municipality?

I use a .40 Deagle. By choice. Issued sidearm is an XD .45.
    Used to have an M14, but they got recalled by the feds.
  6. stevem44

stevem44 G&G Newbie

hmm? i dunno then, but its been well over a year for my friends uncle and nothing happened to him
  7. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

This actually is what some depts. do when they get overstocked , or have a lot of older ammo. Mostly the cops take it home for themselves...
    They cant sell it so they have to give it away...
    I think it is great if some local people get some ammo that is very valuable today...
    Rich
  8. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I got a box of free ammo once from a local officer I went shooting with. It was a box of black talon. lol
  9. YankeeSpirit76

YankeeSpirit76 G&G Newbie

That ammo belongs to the taxpayers who payed for it. I don't think any cop has the authority to give it to whoever they want. Why don't they use the ammo anymore? Did they stop practicing? Is it to old to use? I doubt it.
  10. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

If it goes to citizens or cops , it IS being returned to the TAXPAYERS !
    Cops pay Taxes too...:hitwithrock:
  11. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

^ Agreed !! We have seen some CA HWY Patrol buy backs here. 9mm and .40. They were mostly S&W, and were in real good shape with the usual holster wear marks. In the $300-$350 range.
  12. jimkim

jimkim G&G Newbie

When I worked at the S.O. we got three M14's, about a hundred Kevlar trauma plates, two diesel generators, a huge GMC 4x4 truck, gas masks, and other odds and ends. If the Chief or Sheriff knows what paperwork to fill out he can get all kinds of goodies. The thing to watch for is if any of it ends up going home with them. We found generators at the former Sheriff's farm when he was sent to a Fed-farm.
  13. YankeeSpirit76

YankeeSpirit76 G&G Newbie

Yeah, ONE taxpayer...his buddy!
    And you didn't answer me, did they stop practicing at the range? Why don't they need it anymore????
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2008
  14. madcratebuilder

madcratebuilder G&G Newbie

Overstocked or surplus equipment of any type going home with someone is unethical at best and illegal at worst. Some may consider it a perk of the job. Some departments auction the surplus and use the $$$ in the general fund.
  15. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

All of the ammo my agency has is stocked for 5 years. After that we dispose of it. Through our m-4's 870's and 92's. If there is any left then......uhhhhh yeah we take it home.....I look at it as my federal service tax refund. Do I give it away... Just the bullets to my steel buddy down the range.:scool:
  16. roadie

roadie G&G Newbie

1k seems a bit excessive, but I'd take it. I have a friend who while on vice squad gave me a 100rds of .223, said he got it at the police range and didn't use it all, I was grateful and left it at that.