French MAS Models 36 and 49/56 Rifles

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Dan K. Evans, Sep 15, 2008.

1. Dan K. Evans

Dan K. Evans G&G Newbie

Has anyone had experience shooting the MAS rifles? I have both and was recently able to purchase ammo from Parvi. Now I understand that Parvi may cause double or tripple fires due to poor primers. Any ideas out there. Thanks, Dan
  2. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

My shooting buddy has both the bolt MAS36 and the semiauto M49/56, in both calibers - 7.5 French and .308 Win.
    He loads 7.5 French by fireforming 6.5 Swedish Mauser cases to the 7.5 French chamber (very light powder load, sealed with wax), then loading properly.
    I had a MAS49?56 in .308 Win, and we both had problems. We realised the gas system was NOT modified for the more powerful cartridge.
    I sold the rifle before finding the instructions for the proper mods. Keith is still playing with his.
    The 7.5 French rifles are reliable and accurate. A quaint design, but pretty rugged.
  3. TheJoker

TheJoker G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

"...upon the east bank of Big Blue River, a mile o
    I've got a MAS-36. It was officially the last bolt action design to be adopted by a military. My only complaint is that there is no windage adjustment. It shoots constant groups although a tick to the left.

(...somehow I just can't see French men using the "Kentucky Windage" method of sighting!)

As bigdog says, it is an interesting, unique design that results in a compact rifle without sacrificing barrel length. The intregal bayonet is also a clever feature. I don't really shoot mine as often as I'd like because of the cost of the ammunition.

I've only fired the prvi partizan 7,5 x 54 though it, but have had no issues in 80 rounds or so. I picked up several boxes of 20 for $13.00 each at a gunshow last year.

It definately places solidly in the middle of it's WWII bolt action peers. Sorry. I don't have a better picture(...my camera went south recently), but here it is amoungst what I would consider it's WWII contemporaries(..second from the top):

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2008
  4. acarpenter

acarpenter G&G Newbie

Nice looking Mas36.
    All this talk is making me want to pay mine off and bail it out of layaway, but then I guess the ammo will hurt my wallet next.

I had the oppurtunity to buy a M49/56 in original 7.5 but I didnt know what I was missing when I didn't buy it.
    It was $499 though, and I have a Garand in my future...
  5. Capt'n Mil Coll

Capt'n Mil Coll G&G Enthusiast

I have these as well a M36 bolt in 7.5 French. And a M49/56 in .308. I have never had any problems with either one. The 49/56 is one of the most rugged semi autos I have ever seen. The bolt is massive. Must have been designed with the sands of the deserts in mind.
  6. millwright39

millwright39 G&G Newbie

If my mind serves me right on the mas the only windage adjustment was done in the factory or arsenal the rear sight peep =they have several preset they changed out the rear peep to which way to sight it in..Hope that make sence.

I myself like the curved MAS bolt handle
  7. remchuck

remchuck G&G Newbie

i used the lee resize die on 6.5 brass and then trimmed.i didn't fireform.i had no problems with the newly formed brass.
  8. TheJoker

The answer makes sense, but certainly not the solution. So if the wind changes velocity, we send the rifle back to the arsenal and "go on holiday!"

Leave it to the French! :34:

I too like the look and style of the MAS-36. I'm going to take mine to the range next week and run 40 or 60 rounds through it
  9. millwright39

millwright39 G&G Newbie

Yes I hear ya on the sights,, I use the prvi ammo also and have had good luck with it.
  10. acarpenter

acarpenter G&G Newbie

The MAS36 I picked up!
    [​IMG]
  11. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Is ammunition hard to come by for the MAS? I ask because I've been thinking of getting a MAS 36. But if ammunition is that hard to come by and takes some experience to be able to handload, I'll pass to something easier until I get more reloading experience...Thanks in advance for any help.

And I didn't mean or try to hi-jack your thread Dan K., just thought I'd sneak a question in if it's ok with you?
  12. acarpenter

acarpenter G&G Newbie

I just googled 7.5 french and quite a few places have it.
    Not ALOT of places, but I'd say you should be able to order it for a while.
    I am going to order as much as I can afford just in case though.
    I am going to order mine from ammunitiontogo.com I think its Prvi.
    I just tried Prvi ammo for the first time yesterday in my M96 and really liked it.
    Accurate too.

Dan, did you ever find out anything else about your 49/56 problem?
    I really want one of those to go along with the Mas36.
  13. Dan K. Evans

Dan K. Evans G&G Newbie

MAS Rifles 49/56 and 36/51

ACARPENTER- No real info on the problem with the Parvi ammo and the 49/56. So, I have yet to shoot it and it appears to be unissued. Also, I have yet to shoot the MAS 36 also likely unissued. Have you shot your 36? If so tell me about it.

Can one remove the grenade launcher without screwing up the barrel and sites? I heard it could be twisted off creating no problem. I don't plan to do so - just wondering.

Thanks, Dan
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2008
  14. acarpenter

acarpenter G&G Newbie

Actually, I am waiting on the ammo to come in that I ordered for it earlier this week but UPS takes a couple more days than it used to because they are short on frivers or something.
    However, I have the MAS36 with NO grenade launcher anyway. I am excited to shoot it though, and will let you know how it turns out.
    [​IMG]

...I actually went ahead and ordered a MAS 49/56 in original French 7.5x54 so I eagerly await that package next week as well!!! :)
  15. TheJoker

I fired 20 rounds of the Parvi through my MAS 1936 this week. It still shoots consistantly to the left about 8 inches at 100 yards. It made really nice groups once I started aiming at the right edge of the paper.

I sure wish there was some windage adjustment in the dang thing; I really don't want to send it back to the arsenal!!!

:rant:
  16. acarpenter

acarpenter G&G Newbie

Thats so wierd that there isn't a windage of any kind...
  17. couchtr26

couchtr26 G&G Newbie

I saw a MAS 36 today and was wondering about it. I had remembered reading somewhere about the bolt being uncomfortable? I believe it had to do with with the bolt handle facing forward or something like that. I just thought I might ask as it looked very nice. No noticeable problems, good wood, great finish and about $300 or so. Haven't had a French rifle before figured it would be nice after taking their language in high school for 4 years to get one to see if I could actually get myself using it again.
  18. acarpenter

acarpenter G&G Newbie

I fired my MAS36 for the first time yesterday, and I noticed that if you don't think about the funny bolt handle when shooting it, you wouldn't eve notice.
    The one thing you will notice is the kick. My should has lesions on it.
    But hey, it DID shoot a nice group!

Just a heads up, I got mine for $199 so unless that one is just calling your name, you might wanna look around. Or try to talk him down.
    [​IMG]
  19. 29er savoy

29er savoy G&G Newbie

as for the 36 forwardbolt handle the french were big on the "fix bayonett charge thing" if you hold the rifle in a bayonett stance the bolt works rather well. i have a 36 that was converted to 7.62. about 15 years ago sarco was selling the mas 36 grenade launcher assy. the launcher came with a upper and lower front stock the hand guard is inletted for the fold up site. but it just un screws to take it off. i can't mount mine because the dia. is too small to fit the 308 barrel.
  20. couchtr26

couchtr26 G&G Newbie

I was thinking the price was a bit high. However, I haven't been following price changes in the old military rifles as I should have been. I also have little for knowledge on the MAS but have been looking into them lately. When I first started looking in the Shotgun News, it was the one I never saw for sale through importers. Thinking I might check Gunbroker, see about what people are winning them for and try to talk him down from there or try to bid on one. Have had a lot of luck on Gunbroker.