FTF Handgun Purchase Under Age 21

Discussion in 'General Handgun' started by Dark Ice Co., Apr 5, 2011.

1. Dark Ice Co.

Dark Ice Co. G&G Newbie

Been reading and going link to link on a billion different little things today. Anyone know if someone under 21 in Minnesota can PURCHASE a handgun in private sale? I already know that it is legal to OWN a handgun at only age 18+. It is just going to be for home defense (for now). I'm just a bit confused on the buying/selling part of things.
  2. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

That is more a question for your local State Law Enforcement and an Attorney rather than a gun forum. Make 100% sure you do all your homework. Illegal posession of a handgun could result in you loosing your right to own a gun ever again.
  3. Dark Ice Co.

Dark Ice Co. G&G Newbie

Thanks. I'll keep looking around at laws and such. I could just have a family member who is feeling very generous give it to me as a gift. At least I will KNOW that is legal. :p
  4. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

You can purchase and own a rifle or shotgun. Handguns are a different story. Anyone under 21 can not purchase handguns nor handgun ammunition. These are FEDERAL laws not state ones.
  5. Dark Ice Co.

Dark Ice Co. G&G Newbie

I should've figured it would be the same rules.. I was just hoping for a loophole.
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  6. texnmidwest

I understand that. You can possess but that is about it. When I was 18 I had a shooting range that would sell me 45acp when I came to shoot. It did not take long for the ATF to show up and put a stop to it. The fines were pretty hefty for them and the range closed soon after. Sad but true.

What I Find and extreme injustice is that a young man or woman can join the military at age 17, fight in combat with any weapon handed to them but they can not purchase beer or a handgun until they are 21 in most states. I really do not see what difference three years makes with proper training. Heck, I have seen 40 year olds that were more irresponsible with firearms than teenagers!
  7. Dark Ice Co.

Dark Ice Co. G&G Newbie

My local range allows you to buy handgun ammo for use on the range if you're 18+. Were you referring to that or taking the ammo with you?
  8. texnmidwest

That range did not specify but I shot it all there. It was not legal for them to sell me the ammo no matter where I was going to shoot it. If someone 21 or over purchased the ammo I could shoot it with out legal issues! I just could not legally buy it. Same as today.
  9. Dark Ice Co.

Dark Ice Co. G&G Newbie

Yeah the "18 to own, 21 to buy" is like a stupid joke in my opinion..

I'm not too fond of the "you're an adult but you need to wait a few more years until you get all of your rights".
  10. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

DIC...refer to the Gun Control Act of 1968.
  11. srt 10 jimbo

srt 10 jimbo G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

This is wrong. You can buy a handgun in a private sale in Florida if your 18. Just cant buy one in a FFL Dealer.
  12. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

Personally, I'd save $5 a day until you're 21, then go buy yourself a bunch of really nice handguns on your 21st birthday! It's not worth the possibility of losing your right to own any firearms over some bad information you get from any other source than the feds themselves. You would be best protected if you went to your local police department and told them what the scenario was, then asked them what is legal to do.
  13. Dark Ice Co.

Dark Ice Co. G&G Newbie

Now I'm definitely going to have to look it up for my state.. Wish me luck. haha
  14. srt 10 jimbo

Why would you wait 3 years from the time it is legal for you to own a handgun, to buy one? as Spock would say, this is Illogical.
  15. Dark Ice Co.

Dark Ice Co. G&G Newbie

Great news, I can legally buy a handgun in a private sale being 18. There's no possible way you could wipe this smile off my face.
  16. srt 10 jimbo

Congrats, and remember, you dont need to start off with a 44 magnum
  17. Ninja Piper

Ninja Piper G&G Enthusiast

It's that whole "better safe than sorry" mentality. It seemed as if there was a lot of confusion on whether it was legal for him to purchase one at 18. Although, it looks like he is good to go, so congrats!
  18. Dark Ice Co.

Dark Ice Co. G&G Newbie

I'm not sure I'll be lucky enough to find a loophole to let me conceal & carry at age 18 though. LOL

For most online purchases they have to ship to your local FFL dealer.. If I bought a handgun in a private sale ONLINE, I wonder if they would basically just hand it over to me... Probably not, eh?
  19. FS00008

FS00008 Сергей Иванович Мосин. Forum Contributor

***DISCLAIMER*** I am not a lawyer, I am a student of the law, this is not to be construed as legal advice, always check with a lawyer knowledgeable in your state and local firearms laws prior to taking any action. If you need suggestions as to where to find one, contact your local NRA-ILA representative. ***DISCLAIMER***

GCA '68 was amended in 1986. You can purchase handgun ammunition if you state that it is for a long gun. There is no penalty for a store to sell handgun ammunition to someone over 18, but under 21 unless they had reason to believe that it was not for a rifle. I can post the specific USC if you'd like. It was part of the FOPA. Also, it is not illegal federally for someone to purchase a handgun via private party under the age of 21. It is illegal for an FFL to transfer a pistol or Title 1 firearm other than a rifle or shotgun to someone under the age of 21. I can post the specific code section here as well if you'd like.

The term "Title 1" consists of handguns, rifles, shotguns, receivers (IE NDS-3 AK receivers, AR15 lowers, etc.) and long-guns other than rifles or shotguns (IE An AR15 with a bbl >16" but no buttstock, or a pistol gripped cruiser shotgun such as the Mossberg Roadblocker). FFL's can ONLY transfer Rifles or Shotguns to a person under 21 years of age but over 18. They cannot transfer long-guns other than rifles or shotguns to a person under the age of 21. It is not against federal law to acquire these firearms via private party sale.

To the OP, I do not know about Minnesota, but in Arizona, Georgia, and Nevada (outside of Clark County), people over 18, but under 21, may legally purchase pistols and any other Title 1 firearm via private party. They do not have to involve an FFL and title one firearms (in this instance pistols) are not registered with the state (Outside of Clark County Nevada where you are required to register with the local PD).
  20. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Used to be, if you were in the military, you could use your military ID to purchase pistols, even if under 21.
    That's no longer the case...ATF dropped the hammer on that loose practice some time back.

But if in military service, you can be ISSUED a sidearm...
    and you must follow the rules set up by your particular command.