Girl Confronts Muslim on Pledge of Allegiance

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by The_Patriot, Aug 31, 2009.

1. The_Patriot

The_Patriot G&G Newbie

I came across this gem this morning.

Interesting. Should spark some serious discussion, I imagine.

Flap over flag, hijab leads to suspension of Hernando student - St. Petersburg Times

Me? Well, I won't comment too much as it'll get me in trouble.

It is interesting, though, that "freedom of speech" only goes one way. We live in a place where a minority group (of any kind) can usually get away with offending a majority group, but it isn't allowed the other way around.
  2. White Rook

White Rook G&G Enthusiast

I think your right about this topic starting a really good discussion about the Flag... :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates: :unitedstates:

It isn't just foreigners that disrespect our flag. I see it at ball games all of the time. People don't stand when our National Anthem is played or people don't remove their hats. I don't think the majority of our people are being taught at home or at school to respect our flag and what it stands for.

It' only my opinion but I think it should be against the law to burn our flag.
  3. The_Patriot

The_Patriot G&G Newbie

Oh, no doubt. I wasn't suggesting such a thing. I've seen plenty of that.

I just saw the news story and thought you folks might want to read it as well.
  4. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

I can understand the girls frustration when she saw the muslim girl not stand for the Pledge.
    BUT she should of minded her own bussiness, though it would be hard for me to that to.
    Saying this I'm proud she took a stand for our country. Lets hope this young lady struck a nerve with the Muslim girl to give her thought about where she's liveing now which is the United States.
    Also it is wonderful that our youth are standing up for our country even if it is against the rules.
    United we stand, Devided we fall...A.H
  5. Sandy Pockets

Sandy Pockets G&G Newbie

This states my opinion exactly. Nothing more to say after that.

Theodore Roosevelt's ideas on immigrants and being an AMERICAN in 1907.
    "In the first place, we should insist
    that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith
    becomes an American and assimilates himself to us,
    he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else,
    for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man
    because of creed, or birthplace, or origin.
    But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American,
    and nothing but an American...
    There can be no divided allegiance here.
    Any man who says he is an American,
    but something else also,
    isn't an American at all.
    We have room for but one flag, the American flag...
    We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...
    and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."
    Theodore Roosevelt 1907
    [​IMG]
  6. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

The first thing I'd like to know is whether the Muslim female in quesion is an American citizen or not. If she isn't, she need not recite the Pledge; that's an American citizen's thing, the operative word being "allegiance."

But either way, she should stand out of respect for the country she is in. Years ago, my training ship called at a British port and I went to a band concert in a park. As is the custom in the UK, the band concluded the concert by playing "God Save the Queen." Everyone stood and the British servicemen present saluted. I didn't; I was in civvies. But I stood as a token of respect. Both of the girls in this incident need to learn manners and the principal of the school needs to crack down on the Muslim girl whether she is a citizen or not.
  7. paynetrain

paynetrain G&G Newbie

8. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

Heather was in wrong as soon as she told her to take that thing off her head. Period. She had good intentions of asking the girl to stand during the pledge, but she took it one step too far. She could have explained that it is American custom to stand during the pledge of allegiance. That's all she had to do and leave it at that. It's not her job to police the school and see who's standing up for the pledge and who is not. If the school officials want to do that, it's up to them. Just as Heather has the right to exercise her free speech, it stops at somebody else's right to exercise their religion. She should know better especially since a similar thing happened to her in Mexico.

Heather almost sounds like the kind of kid that sits around too many adults and is repeating what they say. If she's enlisting into our Army next year she may be a bit immature for that.
  9. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Texas-T I kind of hinted what you said in my Post. But on 2nd thought this is our Country and what the WELL !!!

We have all these immigrants comeing over here bringing what I suppose they want to get away from, which does'nt make any since. Nor does it make since why they don't want to get with our program. Why bother comeing here then.

Sandy Pockets posted Roosevelt's idea's on immigrants. So I think as born Americans we should make comment, push and insult if we have to because what do we have to loose ? This should be our attitude.
    This is America and this is how we live and this is what we do. You move over here this is what we expect of you !!!
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2009
  10. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

There are some that will disagree with that,but I am not one of them,too much of that crap going on today!
  11. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

AMEN brother.:irked:
  12. Ten Man

Ten Man G&G Newbie

It's worth repeating!!
  13. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

She overstepped on this one. But I will say I am proud she did SOMETHING !!
  14. Archetype_wyo

Archetype_wyo G&G Enthusiast

Its an actual law that if you are a citizen of the US you HAVE to put your hand over your heart you can get arrested. Only exceptions being uniformed military.
  15. troy2000

troy2000 Suspended

No. You can't be arrested for not putting your hand over your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance. There is no such law.

Nor should there be.
  16. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

Ramzy Kiliç, executive director of the Tampa chapter of the Council on American-Islamic Relations, said he was concerned by Heather Lawrence's apparent cultural insensitivity.

But he also said he was surprised to hear that a Muslim would not stand for the pledge. There is no tenet in the religion that encourages Muslims not to do so. "That's her right," Kiliç said. "I myself believe she should have stood."

Kiliç said. "I myself believe she should have stood." There you have it; my sentiments exactly. Coming from a family of long diplomatic and military experience, I can tell you that foreigners respectfully stand and even salute when appropriate during American ceremonies even in their own countries, just as we do during their ceremonies. The Iranian girl should have stood; but I don't blame her. I blame the school for not explaining protocol to a new or visiting student.
  17. Rave

Rave G&G Enthusiast

Good points!
  18. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

Well said. This incident aside, I've seen new citizens and foreign visitors show more respect in general than our own native born people. With the exception of LaRasa types out there, most foreign violators of our customs do so out of genuine ignorance because their hosts are contemptuous and disrespectful of protocol and fail to pass along that protocol. I think the school falls into that category.
  19. SightNSqueeze

SightNSqueeze G&G Newbie

Maybe Obama can have both of the girls to the White House for a beer - they should be safe as long as Bill Clinton isn't there.
  20. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

I don't understand why they talk about religion. The pledge of allegiance is about national pride for the country. It isn't about religion.

This just irks me to no end...UGH...