Glenfield M60 Deal or no deal

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by oldjarhead, Aug 11, 2009.

1. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

I attended a gunshow this past week-end and found a Marlin 989 M2 carbine, that was Saturday, wasn't sure if I wanted it but after allowing myself a cooling off period I went back Sunday and bought it.
    As I was browsing the aisles again I came across an old Glenfield M60 that had a repaired stock with tape wrapped around it. The guy gave me a cock-a-mamie story that he was selling it for a neighbor lady. I know this was a crock because I had seen this same rifle at the last Springfield show with $150 tag on it (that was when the stock was in two pieces; I offered him $75 then and he wouldn't take it).
    The old rifle was tagged at $50, I offered $40 and we settled for $45.
    When I got it home and broke it down, the crud and build-up fell out of the firing mechanism and receiver. Cleaned it up and lubed it some and test fired it. Shoots great with the exception of the last shot of both strings I fired. It appears the magazine plunger can't get the last cartidge into the lifter.
    Glenfield, Model 60, Old Style, 17 round tubular magazine, no sights, built 1975
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

That feed problem is comonly the "feed throat guide',Numrich has them for about $12.plus S&H.I see the stock is $56+ so try to repair that one or look for a better deal.A used one with a good stock should be $100.or less so I wouldn't call it a fantastic deal but you may get a lot of use out of it. ,,,sam.
  3. Iron_Colonel

Iron_Colonel G&G Newbie

It doesn't sound like a bad deal. I suppose it depends on if you want to replace the stock, buying a new one would cost more than the rifle. But if you're just gonna plink with it, then I think you did pretty good. Theres obviously not a lot of recoil with these, so I wouldn't be too worried about a cracked stock. Maybe you can put a couple pins or dowel pieces in the stock if the tape doesn't hold and gorilla glue it or something. But for $45 I think you did ok. So you have a 16 rd mag now :D
  4. oldjarhead

I don't intend to re-stock it. I will merely smooth up the repairs that have already been done to the stock. It was a clean break...just a boogered repair job.
    It's a plinker and I'm satisfied with it.
    I doubt the problem is the feed throat since it feeds and fires the magazine capacity except for the last round. If the feed throat was the culprit more rounds would ftf. I'm pretty confident it's in the inner magazine feed tube there are several parts in the tube that could fail due to age.
    I bought it for a project, I like working old guns. I just found it funny they wanted $150 at the last show, refused an offer of $75, and ended up selling it for $45.
    16 rd...no...it's a 17+1, near a half box in the mag...works for me...lol

And, Sam, I don't know where you are but these are selling in this area for well more than $100 (used) and surely not for less.
  5. thrillbilly

thrillbilly G&G Evangelist

Where I live any semi-auto that shoots is hard to find for under 115$...except for a rare deal or something. I bought a marlin a couple months ago for 70$, but it was the last day of the gunshow and I haggled for awhile, the sticker price was 110$

That's the marlin I traded for a jonboat, I only owned it for about 4 days LOL
  6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Forgive me for giving an honest assesment.Next time I will say what you want to hear instead of what the facts are as I know them.Everyone else,I will tell you exactly what I know the market value is as I understand it.Yes,I have seen a lot of guns sold over market price.I personally just don't buy that way.And as to the feed throat,you say it isn't,thats great.Hope your right.There are a grand total of two parts in the feed tube,the follower and spring,the same as any magazine.I am sorry if my honesty hurt your feelings. ,,,sam.
  7. oldjarhead

Like I said I don't know where you are but in my experience prices are not the same throughout the country. Your response and comment didn't bother me at all but don't take for granted that what applies to your area applies to mine or other areas. I don't believe my comments were out of line nor were they negative to what you said.
    If you will research the tube magazine, you will find there are seven parts to the inner magzine tube.
    1. Magazine tube plug
    2. Magazine tube plug cap
    3. Magazine tube plug spring
    4. Magazine tube plug bushing
    5. Magazine tube plug pin
    6. Magazine tube spring
    7. Magazine tube follower
    Then of course the tube itself.
    I always believed is was just the spring and follower also, until I started working on Marlin rim fire auto-loaders. (Ref: Marlin's assembly drawing furnished by Marlin).
    So, if there was any offense taken, it was by you not me and I don't believe the venomous reply from you is warranted. Apparently you are the one with hurt feelings and I have no clue as to why. If I didn't want opinions I would not have made the first post and that is what I got...your opinion and I thank you for it.
  8. oldjarhead

Yep...this purchase was the last day of a very slow moving gun show. Sales were really down and practically all the vendors were complaining about how slow it was. I think some felt lucky to have sales that would cover the table cost. I imagine they'll do better at Springfield this coming weekend...lol
  9. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

I bought a really nice one at a gunshow for $80...sold it for $130.
  10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I'll say it again:I am sorry I gave you a truthful opinion,others must agree with me as one says they are hard to find for under $115.and another says he found a good one for $80..That is why I go in gunshops and to gunshows,to find the "hard to find",not to pay over value.A good deal to me is when the purchaser is pleased.If you are pleased,I am happy for you.I have guns I bought 25+yrs ago to "fix up"and havn't done it yet.It is a fun hobby and fills in the blanks.I really enjoy making parts I can't find and making obsolete guns work.As to the mag tube,I was talking about moving parts. ,,,sam.
  11. oldjarhead

I really don't know what your problem is, Sam. You said under $100, Thrillbilly (Missouri) can not find one for under $115 and NRA Joe (Ohio) stated he found one for $80...there's a $35 price swing there that shows the prices vary by area and I don't see where anyone is agreeing or disagreeing with you or with me...in fact it is not even an issue. If you are sorry for giving your truthful opinion then so be it; no-one, including me, has disputed your opinion. I simply stated my opinion about the feed throat not seeming to be a problem and somehow it set you off on a rage. On one hand it makes no sense and on the other it just doesn't matter. I'm under the impression you just want to argue; I just wanted to tell my story. For two people with a common interest of putting new life into old guns; this is insane.
  12. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Believe me,you didn't bother me in any way.Hope you get your rifle working.Semper Fidelis. ,,,sam.
  13. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  14. big shrek

big shrek G&G Enthusiast

Oh, and while I'm thinking about it...if you dissassemble the Tube & components therin...and CLEAN it with a Brass Brush/Hoppes #9/etc...& then lightly oil it...sometimes you don't have to replace the spring because you got all the GUNK out that was slowing the spring down.

Some of 'em I've pulled apart have been just as nasty as the stuff in the action was.
  15. oldjarhead

Good point...I'll do that later today; Wednesday is range day.
    The 989M2 had two Eclips missing on the firing mechanism. I checked with Numrich...$3 each! I went to my local home center...2ea for 10 cents. It pays to shop around. lol
  16. oldjarhead

Not yet.
    I'm still trying to figure out how to put a bayonet lug on a tube magged rifle...lol
    I notice there are more accessories on the market for the 60 now. That's good.
  17. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

Shrek I get a forbidden error when I use that link ?
  18. Big Dog

Big Dog Dinosaur Wrangler Forum Contributor

Prices for old .22 rifles, Marlin or otherwise, tend to be all over the board. Here in my town, a beat-to-crap junker STARTS at $125 to $150 in the gun/pawnshops. I have bought a few .22 rifles there that caught my interest, and I know not to expect too much til I clean them and see why the prior owner pawned them. Usually the fix is easy enough. Sometimes it's just filthy - reckon pawnshops NEVER clean the guns they take in!
    The auction sites are even worse - prices range very widely. Seems far fewer 'deals' to be had these last few years.

I'd say you made a good deal overall - you got it for a decent price and knew the basic problems it had. It'll make a fun project.

I'm envious of the 989M2 you got. I have the earlier tube-mag 99M1 - neat little rifle but I'd prefer the box magazine, to get more of the "M1 Carbine" feel to it.
  19. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

I did too. Somethings wrong.
  20. roverboy

roverboy G&G Newbie

I think you got a super deal. I've owned 2 Model 60's.
    Both Marlins. My brother had a Glenfield M60. Great
    little rifle. To bad somebody else thought so too.
    It was stolen. Anyway they are great little rifles.