Glock 27 love/hate

Discussion in 'Glock' started by jaeger, Jan 23, 2008.

1. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

I purchased a glock 27 in .40 last week for a concealed carry weapon, and have really came to dislike the weapon. But at the same time I dont even know why I dont like it. Just the feel/look I guess. Oh and I just found out that I have to carry a 9mm anyway because that is what my agency qualifies with.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2008
  2. damage855

damage855 G&G Newbie

I personly realy like the glocks but if thats not your thing get rid of it and get something you do like. try several things out at the range if you can borrow friends ect.
  3. SilverRun

SilverRun G&G Newbie

I carry a G27 CCW - I like it alright. It is not my favorite Glock, but it serves the intended purpose.
  4. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

I went to my local range thinking I'd leave liking the Sig 226 and that that's what I was going to get. Instead I found that I liked the G27 over any other .40's I tried, including the G22 and G23.

Now, I did have the fortune of having a Pearce +1 grip extension so my pinky has somewhere to go and a Hogue Handall grip sleeve with palm swell.

That grip sleeve actually makes the grip feel smaller and less like a brick, even though it's actually bigger. It's probably because it fills my hand more properly and rounds off the sharp corners.

If you do want to hang onto the G27, check out those mods for it and see if that makes a difference. If you then decide you like it, but have to have it in 9x19mm, get the G26.

Overall, make sure you try out a bunch of different firearms to be sure you're comfortable with the one you may need to save your life one day.
  5. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

Have Glock 26; very reliable pistol. Have had stoppages in all my autos, but only 1 in a couple thousand rounds for Glock. The .45's hang up a bit more than that. Like revolver for CCW for that reason, but when carrying auto would lean toward Glocks.
  6. mym1a

mym1a G&G Newbie

never owned a glock but have heard nothing but good things about them ???
  7. TXplt

TXplt Gun Toting Boeing Driver Forum Contributor

+ corrosion resistant, very tough, infinitely reliable with all kinds of ammo, firing pin block, tru-glo's give good hi-vis and low light sight picture, reasonably accurate.

- somewhat strange trigger pull (even with mod), Will go BANG with trigger depressed even if you don't want it to (I know this shoud never happen), "blocky" and some have issues with natural pointing characteristics of the gun.
  8. J.L. Berry

J.L. Berry G&G Newbie

No argueing here, if you just "don't like it" trade her in.

I'm actually a bit in the opposite boat I carry the 27 or 23 (as mood dictates) because I'm required to carry a 40 Glock. On my own preference I would likely choose a Glock 26 (9mm version of the 27).

Sig and Khar among others make some nice small 9mm's.
  9. DWARREN123

DWARREN123 G&G Newbie

If your hands are medium to large then you probably need the grip extensions on the mags. The 27 is, in my opinion, a utility gun. Not pretty, kind of blocky but works.
  10. RMTactical

RMTactical G&G Newbie

I love my G27. The longer I have it, the more I love it.
  11. ccap74

ccap74 G&G Newbie

S&W sells a M&P .40 compact. I really like mine,mostly just the way it feels in my hand. A small, medium and larg replacable backstrap and the grip is the same angle as a 1911. By the way, I also own a G27:burnout:
  12. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

I agree with ccap74. When I was getting ready to get a handgun, I held a 1911, a Glock, and an M&P. The 1911 was too expensive, the Glock felt horrible in my hand, and the M&P was just right, both with fit (like a 1911), and price (cheaper than a glock).

It hasn't let me down yet.
  13. jaeger

jaeger G&G Regular

I have to say the G27 has not let me down, and I am a shooter.........100rd's a week+. I think I will try out the lone wolf 9mm conv barrel and go from there.
  14. glockguy

glockguy G&G Newbie

I have the Glock 26 and absolutely love it for carry
  15. squirrelblaster

squirrelblaster G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

same here,however i have handed afew and they just dont feel right in my hand.....
  16. almighty

almighty G&G Newbie

well, if your looking to find another gun, im in the market for a 27 :D
  17. Roger79

Roger79 G&G Newbie

I own a Glock 22 that I carried for quite a few years, however recently I was looking for something smaller so i bought a Kahr CW40 and carried it for awhile. I still wasnt quite satisfied so I checked out the new S&W M&P compact 40, in a word its awesome! It comes with 3 interchangable backstraps to fit the gun to your hand rather than the one size fits none routine, and has 3 dot steel Novak sights versus the glock plastic.

Now dont get me wrong I love my Glock and am getting ready to completely rework it to include new lower and bar-sto barrel with trijicon night sights. All total Ill have about a grand in it, crazy you say, maybe just depends on how much you like a particular gun. The point Im trying to make here is this, Glocks are by no means inferior, but if you look at what you get for the money the M&P beats the glock hands down. I paid just over 560 for my M&P 40C have put 700 rounds through it and never a malfunction one. IMHO you compare that to a glock and the only thing you get that is the same is reliability at a much higher price.

Just my $0.02
  18. LarryO1970

LarryO1970 G&G Enthusiast

It's all subjective really. For someone to be proficient, accurate and comfortable, whatever gun we are talking about just has to fit the shooter, not the other way around.

I am not a Glock person. They are abrasive and do not fit in my hands well enough to be comfortable. I have actually gotten beyond the stigma of "plastic guns" but still... it does not fit well... thus I do not shoot it well. Some will argue the safety on the trigger, some swear by it... but I've always felt that was a crazy place to put it. To me, safety always comes first. The irony here is that I have two handguns... one with the safety on the trigger and another with no external, manual safety other than the triggers themselves. I like the line from "Black Hawk Down" ... this is my safety... *holding up his finger* ...

For my own personal sidearms, I chose the Sig P229 "Equinox" and Springfield XD by how it fit my hands. Because of that, I am comfortable, accurate and proficient.

This is not to say people need to run out and buy what others are endorsing... it is a grip/hand comfort thing. Most handguns these days are chambered in almost any caliber you could want... that would be secondary to making sure you are comfortable with the handgun, the controls and the sights.
  19. just_a_car

just_a_car G&G Newbie

Um, I paid $420+$20shipping+$20transfer = $460 for a "like new/used" G27 with Heinie Straight-Eight night sights, grip plug, Hogue Handall grip sleeve, an extra 10rd G23 mag, and Pearce +1 grip extensions on both G27 mags.

Now, tell me how your $560 gun is cheaper?...

Oh, and my G27 is at around 400 rounds with zero malfunctions.
  20. Bravo

Bravo G&G Newbie

M&P Compacts can be found new at $460-480. I'm not saying that Roger got ripped off, but there are better deals out there than what he paid.

M&P Compact: $460 -$50 Rebate + 2 Free Mags = $410 for new gun with 4 magazines.

M&P's are cheaper than Glocks, and are just as reliable. It's just a matter of opinion on which grip feels better.