Gloss or mat finish? or other?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Deep13, Feb 22, 2010.

?

Gloss black vs. mat black vs. silver vs. camoflage

Poll closed Mar 24, 2010.
  1. gloss black

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. mat black

14 vote(s)
    82.4%
  3. silver colored

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. camoflage

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Deep13

Deep13 G&G Regular

What is your preference for a scope finish? I'm not asking what you have so much as which you prefer.
    I ask because while most scopes are black, few have that classic gloss finish anymore. I think part of the reason is that hunters prefer to have glare-free surfaces on their guns and partly because a matte finish is cheaper to make than a polished gloss.
    If you prefer different finishes for different situations, vote or explain which you prefer most of the time.
    My stainless Savage m.12 has a mat black finish Millet 44mm with matte black rings despite the fact that the barrel and receiver are silvery stainless because that is what the dealer who sold it to me had in stock. Naturally, it ought to be silver rings and scope.
    My CZ 542 has a 40mm Burris scope. Burris only makes black scopes in mat and, again, the dealer only had that and matte CZ rings in stock. Gloss would have looked better.
    My Marlin 1894c has a Burris 2-7x35mm in matte black. I ordered it on line and did not really think about the color. Burris is a good name, less expensive than Leupold, and they only come in mat black. I would prefer gloss, but I suspect many here feel it is an abomination to put any scope on a lever-gun.
    Finally, I bought a 1.5-5x20mm Leupold for my AR15 carbine. That was available in gloss, but somehow such a shiney scope did not seem appropriate for AR15. Besides, the mounting rings and base are glare-free matte.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. pico

pico G&G Newbie

I prefer matte finishes on pretty much all visible firearm parts. I have even sent off several stainless handguns to have them covered for glare prevention.
  3. Sav .250

Sav .250 G&G Enthusiast

Different strokes for different folks............Matte for me.
  4. Deep13

Deep13 G&G Regular

I suspect that will be the majority view.
  5. NRAJOE

NRAJOE YOU TALKIN' TO ME!? Forum Contributor

Actually depends...some rifles look great with gloss scope/rings...some with matte scope/rings.
  6. nra_guns_winner

nra_guns_winner G&G Newbie

I choose anything but shiny!

Nothing, that stands out. I want pure element of, boom got ya.:banana:
  7. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Personally,

I am with mat black.

It is possible to create your own camo from paper to meet the needs of the moment then tape it around parts of the scope tube to assist in
    reducing your visible presence.
  8. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

I just find a scope at a show that meets my needs. I don't put aluminum color tubes on black/blue guns and vice versa, and would like the general finish of the scope to be close to that of barrel and action, but that's it. Any modern scope is aluminum and gun barrels tend to be steel. Black anodized aluminum doesn't match polished and blued steel, so why try?

With an older gun, such as the BRNO ZKW I almost bought this weekend, the steel tubed Weavers, Redfields, or other older scope is the only way to go. The age of the scope on a collectible must be in line with the age of the gun. That particular gun had a period Weaver on it. A modern scope would have detracted from the value.

It's pretty much mandatory for me that the rings and scope have similar finish. If one is matter, so is the other.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2010
  9. texnmidwest

texnmidwest Sir Loin of Beef Forum Contributor

It all depends on the rifle finish. I match the scope finish to the rifle finish the best I can.
    If I have a high luster blued rifle sporting a high gloss walnut stock, I ain't puttin' a Matte finish scope on it! But, then again, I ain't huntin' with it either!
  10. wyoman

wyoman G&G Regular

I can't answer that because I have different finishes and colors, so I want the scope to match.
  11. NRAJOE

Just like my Marlin 883...

[​IMG]

Wouldn't look right with a matte scope...the gloss looks nice with the blued steel and wood....old school look.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  12. Deersniper

Deersniper G&G Newbie

13. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

If you don't care about the scope possibly giving you away, whether it be while hunting or anything else, then go ahead and get gloss or silver even.

If you prefer the scope to not give you away by giving off glare, then get matte finish.

If you like two-tone, and have a blued or black gun and want two-tone, and don't care about glare, get a silver scope.

Sure, a gloss scope can look real good on certain rifles. But glare can give you away. Again, if that doesn't worry or bother youm get whatever you want.

It's part of the reason they came out with camo patterned guns and scopes. For better concealment. If you don't care about any of that, then get whatever you want. If you want your scope to "look" good on your rifle, then get whatever looks good on your rifle.

And yes in the same turn a gloss blued barrel could and can also give off glare to I suppose. It's just with scopes there are more angles and bends for light to reflect off off. And people tend to worry about it with a scope more so then the gun.
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2010
  14. NRAJOE

I have a silver matte on my stainless 10/22

[​IMG]

No glare.
  15. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Um, I disagree. I see A LOT of shine coming off that scope. Also a little bit off the barrel band as well. I bet when outside and the sn hits it at the right angles will really reflect off that puppy.

It looks good though.