Gun and Game Forum banner

Glowing Eyes at Night? What is it?

24K views 57 replies 27 participants last post by  H-BAR 
#1 ·
Ever been out at night and seen glowing eyes? I know the cats eyes are red or yellow at night.
I have heard Cougars eyes glow green or yellow in lights at night.
What about wild hogs eyes? Do they glow when the flashlights hit them in the dark? How about owls? Or do you know any other animials that eyes glow when your flashlights light em up at night?

#27 ·
I take back what I said about my snakes eyes, I just tested it with my LED pen light and was able to get a reflection of light back, but it was from a rear side (more side then rear) view, but from head on no eye shine.

#28 · (Edited)
DZ:When I shine a light in deers eyes I expect to see many,many red and blue lights respond shortly.
Very true sam

growing up my grandparents had a dairy farm in eastern Ohio, near Wheeling W. Va. me and my grandpa use to ride the pickup through the fields after dark checking out the deer and shining lights along the edges of the field looking for all the ones that looked like Bullwinkle. on a good night we could see well over 100 total. even though it was his own property and we were not hunting them, it was still very much illegal. but Gramps could care less. this was just something we did for entertainment when I visited. we did it ever since I was just a little kid.

#29 ·
I take back what I said about my snakes eyes, I just tested it with my LED pen light and was able to get a reflection of light back, but it was from a rear side (more side then rear) view, but from head on no eye shine.
It has been my experience that a calm and relaxed snake is far more enjoyable than one that has LEDs shined in his eyes and is pissed off. :pirate: Just thought I pass it along.

#30 ·
It has been my experience that a calm and relaxed snake is far more enjoyable than one that has LEDs shined in his eyes and is pissed off. :pirate: Just thought I pass it along.

I don't shine my LED light in my snakes eyes all the time. I did it last night to see if they did have eye shine or not. And for your information it didn't piss him off. It was like for 2 seconds and done.

No need to get an attitude with me about it.

#31 ·
No attitude. Thought the image of LED light shining in a snake's eyes and what its thought's my be kind of humorous. I can speak form experience that reptiles can be kind of "moody".

#32 ·
No attitude. Thought the image of LED light shining in a snake's eyes and what its thought's my be kind of humorous. I can speak form experience that reptiles can be kind of "moody".

Oo ok, I misunderstood you.

I normally dont shine it in there eyes though. Usually at night when I get up around 2am I will flash the light in their cage to see what the temps are to see if I need to turn up or down the heat on the under tank heaters and often they are out and about, I had just never noticed any eye shine before. Normally when I turn the flash light on they come up to the glass and want to be taken out lol.

All 3 of my snakes are pretty layed back, but the corn snake does get moody now and then. He has never bit or struck at me but some times he just does NOT want to be handled so he usually goes back in his vivarium when hes like that.

Sorry, didnt mean to Hijack the thread.

#40 · (Edited)
I don't think this was answered thoroughly enough. Animals which are active enough at night (deer, dogs, wolves, etc) have a reflective layer in their retina BEHIND the light receptors. This causes light that wasn't caught by the receptors to be reflected back up past them, giving them a second chance to capture the light. This allows the eyes to register as much as 75% more light, which means that this simple coating allows a creature to see up to 75% better at night than we can. Of course, different pupils and different number of rods (dogs and cats both have many more rods and much larger pupils than we do!) increase night vision further.

#41 ·
I don't think this was answered thoroughly enough. Animals which are active enough at night (deer, dogs, wolves, etc) have a reflective layer in their retina BEHIND the light receptors. This causes light that wasn't caught by the receptors to be reflected back up past them, giving them a second chance to capture the light. This allows the eyes to register as much as 75% more light, which means that this simple coating allows a creature to see up to 75% better at night than we can. Of course, different pupils and different number of rods (dogs and cats both have many more rods and much larger pupils than we do!) increase night vision further.
We do have a tendency to get off track.

#43 ·
i conducted a test last night.
i shined a light in my own eyes
THEY GLOW!
am i possessed?

BTW
it made me cranky too so i can understand where them snakes are coming from.

#45 ·
i conducted a test last night.
i shined a light in my own eyes
THEY GLOW!
am i possessed?
The possessed part may may be attributed to the fact that you not only conducted the test, but admitted to it... :hypnotized: :D :usa2:

I'm being a smartass, and I'm kidding....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.