Good scope for under $200.00

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Captok, Dec 6, 2007.

1. Captok

Captok G&G Newbie

I have a Remington Mod. 700 .223
    will be killing coyotes, foxes, bobcats and anything else I stir up in the woods of Arkansas.

I want some ideas on a good scope for under $200.

the cap
  2. nathangdad

nathangdad G&G Newbie

Nikon

Nikon has a really good fixed power scope for under $200.00. I recommend fixed power and plenty of practice rather than turning the end of a scope in the field when you need to be on target.
  3. TexasT

TexasT Devil's Advocate >:) Forum Contributor Forum Contributor

4. ArkansasHunter

ArkansasHunter G&G Newbie

Captok type in SWFA and you'll find the scope your looking for at a price you can afford.
    I bought a Burris Fullfield 3 X 9 40 and I like it !!! And I also got a free pair of nice binoculars with it.
    Cabela's has the same scopes with the bino's or a free GPS domaflatchey (your choice).
    Check out the site anyway SWFA.
    A.H
  5. Rem 742 30-06

Rem 742 30-06 G&G Newbie

I bought one at Gander Mountain for like 150 or less I don't remember it was a bushnell. I don't have my gun here with me I am at school but I am pretty sure it is a bushnell.
  6. two-70

two-70 G&G Newbie

nikon pro staffs are under 200
  7. HandsomeRob

HandsomeRob G&G Newbie

Bushnell elite 3200 can be found under 200 to be honest there are a lot under 200 like A.H. said check out SWFA. I recommend Opticsplanet.com you can search for all rifle scopes 100 to 499 but the list them in order by price. It will start with the 100's then move up. Pick one and then if you want ask us if its a good one. Any order over 30 dollars has free UPS ground shipping too.
  8. jashoffa

jashoffa G&G Newbie

I think the best you can get under $200 would be a nikon, Just MHO.
  9. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Optics technology, like a lot of others has pretty much peaked, until the next big break-thru. I think most of the more recognizable brandnames are of equal value.
  10. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
  11. Captok

Captok G&G Newbie

Thanks to everyone for the input

i went with a Nikon Promaster.

Thanks again,
    captok
    :stupid:
  12. CrazyIvan

CrazyIvan G&G Newbie

I like my Barska Swat.

Some people don't like them, but I have been knocking 3/4" holes out of targets at 100 yards from my Bushmaster Varminter with mine.

There are a few different Barska SWAT models. I have the highest one. There are a few for under $200. Check em out at www.OpticsPlanet.com
  13. MountainMan

MountainMan G&G Newbie

i was inpressed with THE SportsmansGuide online store thats where i ordered my Hawke varmint from
  14. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

sportsmans guide typically sells junk.
  15. rasterman77

rasterman77 G&G Newbie

16. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

will be my next one for sure
  17. Magnumsrule

Magnumsrule G&G Newbie

The bushnel 3200 are about that price i think? they arnt that bad an my 4200 is sweet with the rainguard
  18. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

I highly disagree. They sometimes sell Trijicon scopes, not junk. They sometimes have Aimpoint scopes, still not really junk. I could continue but won't.

I've been a member of Discount Hunting Gear, Discount Hunting Boots, Discount Shoes, Discount Ammunition, Discount Ammo, Discount Boots, Military Surplus, Outdoor Gear At the Sportsman's Guide for about 5 or 6 yrs, now and if I had a problem with something I've had for 5 yrs. and I have the receipt, if they still carry it they'll replace it. Or else I get a credit, unless the damage or malfunction is due to neglect.
    You have the right to your opinion as I do mine.

One honest example I can offer about them honoring what they sell is this. I bought a laser bore sighter, around 45 bucks shipped and after having it about 4 yrs. it wouldn't zero and if I could get it close, it wouldn't hold it. I called them and was told if I still have the receipt I could send it back for another one if still carried, credit towards a different or less expensive one, then have the difference as a credit or I could get credit towards anything they carry. I did just that and have no complaints.

Not looking to start anything. I just completely disagree with what you've said.

G-Meister
    Last edited: Jan 11, 2008
  19. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

did you happen to see the word TYPICALLY.
  20. GlockMeister

GlockMeister G&G Enthusiast

Yes I did lefty-o lol. Thank you for pointing it out.

I should be mad @ sportsmans guide though. They're a sponsor to or for the American Rifleman T.V. show and I'm pretty sure the owner is a member of the NRA, if not a Life member. But they wouldn't sell me a measly pellet gun because they didn't want to deal with the paperwork. it was due to IL. requiring a FOID card and the same paperwork filled out and filed as if it were a real gun. Anything that shoots 700fps or greater and or is .18" in size or larger, it is considered a firearm in IL.. I even had a gun shop order it for me and they said no. I ended up having the gun shops brother, who is also his gunsmith and lives in Wi. order it and then transfer it to him then to me. What a pain in the arse. All I wanted to do was teach my son to shoot responsibly.

Trust me, I did fire off an email to the NRA and the American Rifleman TV show figuring they needed to know that one of there sponsors was prohibiting a member from fulfilling his 2nd Amendment rights.

Anyhow, point taken. I just have always had good luck with SPG. But then if it looks iffy, I usually don't bother with it, but, that goes for anything anywhere.

I apologize for not stating you did mention typically and i should have replied to that. My bad.

G-Meister