Got called for an INSPECTION!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by Paper, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Paper

Paper I can justify anything. Forum Contributor

Got home tonight and there's a message on my machine for an inspection of my C and R books and weapons. :34:

Not a problem for me since my book's up to date, but..

I heard that BATF had started doing a lot of C and R inspections recently, and I just got a renewal notice last week, since mine expires in May.. I'm sure that might have something to do with the call, too.
  2. SPOCAHP ANAR

SPOCAHP ANAR G&G Enthusiast

Mine's up in May also and I just sent in my paperwork.

Can you still request to meet at the local ATF office with the Bound Book in hand?
  3. .22guy

.22guy G&G Enthusiast

I have heard this on a few different boards, it does seem that there have been an increase in inspections. I wonder why????
  4. Paper

Not sure on this. I'll speak to the agent today. So far, I'm just going off of an answering machine message. I'll be asking lots of questions today, though..
  5. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Remember the comments by the pro-gun leadership concerning the Obamists? They don't expect a massive assault on gun ownership as the Slick Willy Gun Ban was. They are expecting an "incremental approach." These increased C&R inspections may be part of the Obamists' strategy.

Let's face it, even with the uptick in firearms ownership in the month before and the months following Obama's election as evidenced by the surge in NICS checks and the massive upsurge in CCW permit applications, the number of shooters and collectors who hold C&Rs is small. We're a soft target. It would not rate real news coverage in the mainstream media if the BATFE started revoking or refusing to renew C&Rs. Were that to happen - and I am not saying it is, or that it will - I'd see it as the thin edge of the wedge of the attack on our Second Amendment rights.

Do keep us advised of what happens when you meet with them, Paper. Their request to meet with you may be the first goose heading south that warns us winter is coming.
  6. SPOCAHP ANAR

I don't have a problem with the inspections; it's what I agreed to when I applied for the license. What I am more worried about is the use of inspections as a harrassment tool instead of the ban approach. Not saying this is going to happen or is happening right now.

I would ask the agent for a date and time you can meet at his office with your bound book. I would also ask him if there was anything you needed to have in addition to your bound book.

Having an agent of the government in my house is something I do not want for many reasons which have nothing to do with gun ownership.
  7. Paper

That would mean transporting around 50 firearms.. :34: I think I'll have to go with plan "B"..
  8. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

Number of firearms is certainly going to make a huge difference.
  9. Kismet

Kismet G&G Newbie

Might also be a way for a government department to become more visible as budgets are being cut to accomodate change in management style for new regime.
  10. Paper

Sadly, I seriously think you're spot on with this thought... Job justification..

I spoke to the agent yesterday and I asked if this had anything to do with my upcoming renewal, and his reply was that a while back they started doing completely random inspections on C and R holders.. My number came up.. :34:
  11. twtalbot

twtalbot G&G Newbie

Never underestimate the likelihood of this as a motive. Many amazing and sometimes appalling antics have been the result of an agency trying to look "sexy" at budget time.
  12. millwright39

millwright39 G&G Newbie

They can do it on the premises Just carve out a spot in the garage or shed and ask him which rifle he he like to see..
  13. Paper

My Bound Book is broken up into 15 slots per page, so today I hung tags on all the guns, pertaining to what page and what line they're on, and the serial number on the backside of the tag..

It was also a nice exercise to verify that my book is complete and up to date.

Now comes my only "issue".. I have 2 weapons that I bought before I had the FFL03 licence that were C and R eligible when I purchased them. One being my first Mosin, and the other being a Mossberg 151K that would have been more than 50 years old when I bought it.

I never put these in my book because I bought them before I had the license, and it was my understanding that they were not to be in the book unless I sold them.. Am I correct in this thought?
  14. millwright39

millwright39 G&G Newbie

As Far As My understand yes they need [NOT] be in the book as they were bought before you had the Licence.

The only other thing I have heard feed back on is the licence on display Somewhere?--Been so long I'M not sure if that is a requirement =might want to ck it out.
  15. Paper

The license only has to be on display if I'm a 01 dealer.. Already checked that. Worst case, I'll stick a copy up on my safe with a couple magnets just to cover my rear end.

The problem is, the inspectors are used to dealer rules and they just started doing random (according to the agent) inspections recently. There's serveral rules that are needed for 01 license, but not 03.. Secure storage, for one. I've got safes, but there shouldn't be any reason for him to check them.

I'm looking forward to watching him leave..
  16. SwedeSteve

Paper- Those bought before receiving your C&R do not need to be entered. But you must log their disposition when you get rid of them. Your 03 FFL should be with your bound book. Also, you are correct that you dont have any security requirements other than what your State requires. If he cites you for some 01 FFL requirement, ask him to show you in the regs. Good luck and let us know how it goes !! If you act all worried, they're gonna dig deeper. Just take it in stride.
  17. SPOCAHP ANAR

I have heard (FWIW) that the bound book is what is inspected. Certainly if they are in your house they will want to see the collection.

Call the Agent and ask when you wish to meet and what is needed.
  18. M14man

M14man I don't take prisoners... Forum Contributor

If your books look good to you, they should be satisfied. They may have some recommendations. There are some collectors that think,'Screw the rules'. They basically want to see that you are complying. Be friendly, be nice, and joke with them telling them they make you nervous. I bet they aren't there an hour and most of it will be chat.
  19. SwedeSteve

^ Exactly !!
  20. jason1965

jason1965 mil-surp collector Forum Contributor

+1
    Also ask them if they would like to go out and shoot a few rounds with you,I'd be curious as to their reply