gp100 50 yrd groups for deer

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by fuzz, Jan 12, 2009.

1. fuzz

fuzz G&G Newbie

If the shooter does his part, what can be expected from the gun at 50 yrds. Friend bought a GP100 and wants to deer hunt with it next season. Probably shoot iron sights only. He is a very experienced bowhunter, so it isn't a question of shot placement just what the gun itself should be cabable of. It has a 6" barrel. thanks
  2. gundog6969

gundog6969 G&G Newbie

Well fuzz...its a little more complicated than that. What the gun is "capable of" vs what you could reasonably expect in a hunting situation is going to be worlds apart. I can assure you the gun is more capable than the shooter in that situation, regardless who he is. It depends on what loads are used and the skill of the shooter. For the purpose of your question, if he can keep all his shots inside a paper plate consistently, that the furthest range he should shoot. A paper plate is the aprox size of a deers vitals. As for the gun, Iv'e shot them but don't own one. If I had to throw a number out there....probably around 4-5" with right loads...
  3. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

My .44 magnum Redhawk will keep 2" at 50 yards, shooting from a sitting position with my back against a solid object.

I've hit a groundhog at 135 yards with a Trooper Mk III in .357, but wouldn't place any large bets on doing it twice in row.

Like gundog says, it will depend on the load and the shooter. I presume you are asking if the gun will hold a small enough group at that distance. With any decent factory load, I would be surprized if it didn't. Can your buddy the bowhunter shoot that well? From the positions he might be in when hunting? As an experienced bowhunter, he should be able to position himself to get a shot within 45 degrees of straight ahead of him, so should be pretty stable. Presuming he would be using a tree stand as if bowhunting, have him make sure it has a safety bar that could double as a gun or arm rest and he should be in good shape to take a deer with a handgun.
  4. Sooner Shooter

Sooner Shooter G&G Newbie Forum Contributor

I don't understand the statement "he is a very experienced bowhunter so it isn't a question of shot placement". Shooting a bow isn't the same as shooting a handgun. At 25 yards I can shoot a bow more accurately than a handgun but at 50 yards I can shoot a handgun better.
  5. billy

billy G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

a secret lab on the shores of lake titicaca
    yeah

how experienced is he with that handgun?
    if he goes and puts a few thousand rounds through the gun he is planning on hunting with and can nail a playing card over and over @ 25 yds. he will be gold.
  6. mx308250

mx308250 G&G Newbie

I have a S&W 586 6in barrel .357 Mag...I shot at a pepsi can the other day at 100 yards. Standing off hand no rest open sights, i hit it 2 out of 6 times. The main thing to remember about that is that I was lucky.
  7. fuzz

fuzz G&G Newbie

I guess my statement as to shot placement was that he knows where the bullet should go, but is it realistic to expect that to happen consistantly at that yardage. That would be a very very long shot with stick and string. Not impossible but not a very ethical shot to take in most situations.(actually he could probably be fairly consistant with it but probably still would pass on it). Right now his 50 yrd groups are not in that 8-9" paper plate zone. But it sounds as if he practices, that ruger should have no problem tightening up to "minute of deer" size groups. Sorry if I over complicate the wording of my questions,I know I'm not the best at communicating my thoughts, just ask my wife!

thanks again
  8. gundog6969

gundog6969 G&G Newbie

Ya fuzz, if he sticks with it he'll get there. Its not only a matter of practice, but "proper" practice. Which involves proper stance,grip, sight picture, trigger squeeze..etc. If this is his first handgun , he would benefit from shooting with an experienced shooter. For instance, you say he's not shooting inside an 8-9'' plate at 50 yards...which essentially means he's not shooting groups. This is often caused by the shooter "looking over" the sights and watching the target, instead of concentrating on the front sight. My point is that proper shooting techniques are essential to getting good with a handgun. I would suggest he moves his target in to 25 yards and gets to the point where he is shooting good groups, then worry about moving it out to 50.
  9. KW Gary M

KW Gary M Suspended

Not to get off topic but has anyone seen a GP 100 stainless for sale? I want a 4" barrel stainless and can only find them used. Bud's has been out of them for a few months.
  10. rugergirl

rugergirl G&G Newbie

I just picked up one for hubby for Christmas, but with the 6 inch barrel, nice piece and he is doing quite well at the range with it. Found mine at a Detroit area gun shop, used. Your mileage may vary by your area, call your local shop, leave a name and number if they don't have one.
  11. DWFan

DWFan G&G Enthusiast

"But it sounds as if he practices, that ruger should have no problem tightening up to "minute of deer" size groups."

The Ruger GP100 is more than accurate enough to test the best handgunner. Practice improves the skills of the shooter, not the accuracy of the weapon. He could practice the rest of his life and never be able to hit a paper plate at 50 yards...or he could be a natural talent and be shooting 1" groups within a couple of months. Only practice will tell and there are a number of good articles on technique if the improvements don't come. Consistency and patience are mandatory.
    I know a couple experienced riflemen and bowmen that couldn't hit a target smaller than a car at fifty yards with a handgun if their lives depended on it.
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  12. DaTeacha

DaTeacha Things are not what they seem. Forum Contributor

If he's just starting with a handgun, he might want to shoot paper at 50 feet, the standard indoor range for the national match course, maybe even 25 feet, which is close to the recognized average self defense range of 7 yards.

As gundog said, get someone to coach him, starting with the basics like sight picture, position of the finger on trigger, general grip, etc. There is lot involved in getting small groups with a handgun, much more than most people realize. Start with either formal offhand or two hand shooting from a standing position and go to different positions later after he knows what the sight picture should look like, is accustomed to the trigger pull, doesn't flinch from the noise and recoil, stuff like that. Give some serious thought to getting a .22 of the same basic type so he can practice a lot more for the same money.
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2009