GP100 (video) Trigger Help Please

Discussion in 'Ruger' started by PONTIACDM, Dec 25, 2009.

1. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I'm at a loss trying to fix this revolver. This one of my favorite guns and would like to fix it without sending it off. I have changed the springs in 3 gp100's and this is the only one giving me trouble. If you have any ideas please share. Thanks NOTE: I took this video with a cell phone. It will look like the cylinder is not rotating when I take the hammer out and pull the trigger. It is rotating you just cant see it.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  2. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i cant get the video to play past a few seconds, so how about a detailed description of what is wrong. ive done a boat load of trigger jobs on the GP/SP series of pistols. im going to guess you replaced both the main spring, and the trigger rebound spring? ive only ever run into one minor issue with these pistols, when reassembling the trigger group there is a little stamped flat piece of steel with a slot in the middle. you can put this piece in backwards, but when you do so the pistol is locked up , and pulling the trigger doesnt do anything. just a guess!
  3. neophyte

neophyte Wonderment :) Forum Contributor

Last edited: Dec 25, 2009
  4. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

Lefty if you don't mind can you look at a diagram of the Ruger trigger group and let me know what the name of that part is? I would appreciate it. Basically the trigger is not resetting all the way. I can put just a little forward pressure on the trigger until it clicks and it will function.

Neophyte I need a video of the disassembly and reassembly of the trigger group if you know of one.

Is anyone else having trouble seeing the video?
  5. Mooseman684

Mooseman684 G&G Newbie

6. neophyte

PONTIACDM: Sir; go to the bottom one I listed; it is a straight shot to dissembly and assembly:)

follow up when you can:)
  7. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I clicked the bottom link you posted and it took me to multiple videos on assembly and disassembly. None of them have info on the trigger group itself. I took the trigger group out of my other GP100 and it worked. That tells me something is wrong in the trigger group itself. I spent 2 hours this morning and was getting pretty ummmmm.....mad. So I had to set it down and walk away for awhile. I'll try again tonight. I reassembled the trigger group exactly the way the other one is the best I can tell. :thinking:
  8. neophyte

9. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

#72 triger plunger is the little stamped plate. not much different from front to back, but if you dont pay attention you can pop it in 180 out, and lock it up badly.
  10. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

OK It's fixed ThankGod!!! It seems for one reason or another the trigger guard latch spring is longer in this pistol than the others. This GP100 was made in the 1980's and the others are newer. When I put the factory spring back in it to see if that was the problem. It was a factory spring (shorter one) out of one of the newer GP's. :pat:That made me think that the spring wasn't the problem. Once it was discovered that there was a difference in the sizes, it was a easy fix. My blood pressure is back to normal now. Thank you all who tried to help me. I'm off to the range to welcome back one of my favorite pistols.