Grouse recipe?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by nmhunter, Aug 3, 2008.

1. nmhunter

nmhunter G&G Newbie

I'm going to try grouse hunting for the first time this fall. anybody got any good grouse recipe's?
  2. keymasr5912

keymasr5912 G&G Newbie

just so happens that our grouse season opens in the morn. if it quits raining, we will be going out. try this: debone the breasts, cut into 1 inch pieces, chop up taters, onions, bell pepper, cellery, turnips, and alot of garlic. throw it all into a crock pot with water, and cook slowly all night.
  3. keymasr5912

keymasr5912 G&G Newbie

here is another one: fill a crock pot with breast meat, water, and garlic. cook slow all night. next day drain water, flake up meat, mix with mayo and relish and slap it all on toasted sourdough bread. yum yum.
  4. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Regular

wife uses them any way you would chicken. Our favorite is encahladas
  5. cold queso

cold queso G&G Regular

Try baking the breasts in a sauce of apple cider and cream. Too delicate of a flavor to ruin with onions or garlic.

At least I'd say that about Minnesota Ruffed Grouse. Are the sage grouse out west gamey enough to need the onions and garlic?
  6. Idaho Dave

Idaho Dave G&G Regular

the best recipe for sage grouse, especially a big older one, is to cook your boot and eat it instead. of course we also have blues here that can be a touch wild tasting depending on what they have been feeding on. intersting side note on the blue grouse Idaho has officially changed their name to the dusky grouse

We no longer have Blue Grouse in Idaho; they're now called Dusky Grouse but retain the same scientific name (Dendragapus obscurus).

Upland Idaho Biology/Conservation.
  7. OrionWitch

OrionWitch G&G Newbie

When I was growing up, grouse was just camp food during a long elk hunt. My Dad would boil the breasts in beer for about 10 minutes, and then fry them in bacon grease. The memories of this simple camp recipe led me to become an avid grouse hunter as an adult.

When I cook grouse at home, I like to stuff them with apple and onion slices, garlic, rosemary, and basil; and (of course) I drape bacon slices over the top when I roast them.
  8. Kompressor

Kompressor G&G Newbie

Grouse is the most common hunted species up here. I'll dig up some recepies for you tomorrow!

You can make it simple you know. As soon as you've shot a couple of birds, take out the breasts. Must be warm, not to let cool down or you'll have to let the birds hang for several days before cooking... Anyways, give the filets some salt and pepper. Then give them a quick run with butter or oil in the pan on both sides. And I mean quick!! Put some fresh ling in the bottom of a pot. Place the filets on top of that to keep it from the bottom of the pot. You may use your Coleman burner for this you know! Let the pot sit on low heat for as long as you can hold back before starting you meal... If you don't like the smoke taste, add some water in as well and the steam will do the trick for you.

Anyways, if you're into mushrooms now is the time to look around for some natural side dish! Anything goes. Even some mashed potatoes. Herbs of your favorite kind may be used as well. The whole point is to cook the meat right were you are, before it has cooled off. It's as tender as it comes then, and only then. And if you have some Irish whiskey you'll be happy as hell too!

I'll come up with something more advanced soon, ok? ;)
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2008
  9. ruffman

ruffman G&G Newbie

I know this is is an old thread... But here is my favorite!!! It also goes well with pheasent... Toss a cup of quaker oats into a food processer add a tsp sage, 1/2 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. Grind it course and bread the breasts and combo thigh/drumstick with it. I use egg/milk to start and after breading fry like chicken in canola oil... Simple but good!!!

Woodcock or duck works as well but the result is the consistency of "LEE'S fried chicken livers" if you have ever had them...:burnout:
  10. tcwildcat7mm

tcwildcat7mm G&G Newbie

take the bird, soak it in cane syrup over night. then, put them in a cast iron dutch oven or big skillet, surrounded by sweet potatoes and vidalia onions. salt, pepper, basil and garlic. add lil olive oil.
    in a seperate sauce pan, take polaner all fruit (blackberry), blackberry brandy (or grand marnier if you got the bucks) and add sugar to equal 1/2 the amount of brandy you put in. reduce the mixture on med heat by 1/3. at the end add cracked black pepper corns.
    Now, baste them birds, pots and onions with blackberyy mixture over and over till done.
    then fight off all the people askin "damn, whats that smell?!"
    I'm a Chef from New Orleans, and this is one of my fav's. use it on squirrels, ducks(my absolute fav!) and any other small game you can think of, even cooked a raccoon like this....and alligator shoulder too!
    and if you like other flavors of the Polaner all fruit try it out. Raspberry and apricot good too. But if you get something sweet like apricot, use white wine instead of brandy...tastes gooder that way!
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2008
  11. AllAlaskan

AllAlaskan G&G Enthusiast

You guys are making me hungery lol
  12. ruffman

ruffman G&G Newbie

Damn TC... I'll have to try that one!!!