Guns in the Movies

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by bobvonb, Apr 1, 2012.

1. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

this just shows how old I'm getting...

caught a few minutes of the original Crocodile Dundee the other day, it happened to be the scene where the Linda Kozlowski character, scantily clothed, gets saved from a croc by our hero. So what did I notice? that she was carrying an Enfield rifle. So sad.
  2. BrianP

BrianP G&G Newbie

Don't feel too bad. I noticed this morning that the Military Channel was showing "The Desert Rats" about the Siege of Tobruk. I've seen the movie several times, but tuned in again just so I could look at the Enfields and think about where my SMLE could have been in those days.
  3. jmp8927

jmp8927 G&G Enthusiast

I have the same issue. People think I'm crazy, but when I watch a movie and a firearm pops up, I always loose focus of what's happening and figure out what it is and whether or not it should be in the movie and if it's functioning the way it's supposed to....
  4. blue fox

blue fox G&G Enthusiast

Man You is gettin OLD
  5. Gray Wolf

Gray Wolf G&G Regular

It's pretty bad when you can look at the cartoons and tell what kind of firearm it is.
  6. Ballbearing

Ballbearing G&G Enthusiast

You think that's bad? I not only noticed the Enfield, but also that it had been sporterized. One of the kangaroo killers had a Ruger mini-14 as well. I remember that.
  7. Dragunov

Dragunov G&G Enthusiast

I drive everyone else in the house nuts doing this. That, and hacking on the bad movie "physics". :p
  8. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

huh? please say that to my good ear, sonny. And remember you'll be there too one fine day.
  9. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

ah, I just remembered another. I recently watched the special edition DVD of Casablanca where one entire screening of the movie is commented on by Roger Ebert. He did shed a lot of light of the backstory and the cinema verite, really quite informative. Until they get to the climax and Bogart's character pulls his 1911 and Ebert comments about 'his revolver'. Oh well, the rest was good.
  10. grizcty

grizcty God, Guns, Glory Forum Contributor

Funny,

All I remember, was Linda Kozlowski scantily clothed! :mischievous:
  11. Cyrano

Cyrano Resident Curmudgeon Forum Contributor

Shame on you, Bob. I'd expect Ebert to miss it. Not only is he not a gun person, he's from Chicago. But you know better.

Bogie pulled either a 1903 Colt Pocket Hammerless, or the 1908 Pocket Hammerless. Either one would be reasonable for him to be carrying, because at that time the French forces would have been using the MAB Modelle D, which was produced in both .32 ACP and .380 ACP. I lean towards t being the 1908 in .380, myself, because as an ex-gun runner in Ethiopia and survivor of the Lincoln Brigade in Spain, Rick Blaine would have been well aware of its power as a cartridge. Plus which, Major Strasser went down dead from one shot. Even at the short range at which Strasser was shot, it's far more likely for a .380 to kill immediately than for a .32 ACP to do it.
  12. deadzero

deadzero G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

I do the same thing and have been relieved of my remote control status many times because of it.

like the first time I saw Predator and the mini gun appeared...... I backed up and was reviewing it frame by frame until I lost the remote once again.....
  13. BigEd63

BigEd63 G&G Enthusiast

Just wartched The Wild Geese on Saturday.

All thse versions of the FN FAL! :bigeyes:
  14. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Enthusiast

She had a rifle?
  15. blue fox

blue fox G&G Enthusiast

Actually I am already there since I start drawing my "old people" money this year. BUT, I still remember Linda barely wearing clothing
  16. bobvonb

bobvonb G&G Enthusiast

OK, when I typed it I thought of typing "Semi Auto" or "Pocket Pistol" since I wasn't sure. I was in a rush to get out the door and just typed 1911 to indicate the general shape.

I don't actually own a pistol other than the one in my avatar and the 2 old CO2 pistols I just got this weekend (see the Air Rifle forum). Certainly 1911s were common at the start of WW II and since they use blanks in the movies I couldn't trust a movie sound to be authentic to the guns live round report, nor was recoil a valid hint.

But the point was it was not a revolver. So you got me. mea culpa.
  17. PAPA G

PAPA G G&G Enthusiast Forum Contributor

having never seen the movie, the question beg's to be asked. if she had an Enfield, why did the hero have to save her? she should have made Swiss cheese of the Croc's head!!!:puppy_dog_eyes:
  18. TheWall

TheWall Firearm Affectionado Forum Contributor

Ever notice how many Beretta 92's are in movies and television? Also see lots of S&W revolvers.
  19. CopperniX

CopperniX 34th Infantry Div.

It makes my girlfriend mad sometimes because I will pause movies or slightly rewind to get a glimpse or a better look at a gun.
  20. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Enthusiast

WHAT? you never saw Crock. Dundee? What in the world were you thinking?

She got the rifle after being saved, if I'm not mistaken. But, who cares? She is worth lookin' at with or without a rifle...hubba hubba!

LOL.