H&R Handi Rifle (Ejecting Problems)

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by steamingutpiles, Jul 4, 2005.

1. steamingutpiles

steamingutpiles G&G Newbie

I have recently purchased a Harrington & Richardson Handi Rifle in .308 Win. I am having difficulty with the thing failing to ectract/eject from time to time. Is anyone else having the same problem? :insane:

Are there any aftermarket custom nic nacs available for the H&R's out there?
  2. sharkdb

sharkdb G&G Newbie

handi rifle eject problems

I had NEF fit a 270 Win barrel to my handi rifle.
    It fails to extract and eject at the range after less than 10 rounds fired. When I took it hunting, it failed to eject the first live round I loaded.
    I sent H&R (NEF) a letter about it. Waiting for a reply.
    I suggest you do the same.
  3. two-70

two-70 G&G Newbie

when you fire a round, take the empty case and run your finger nails over the casing and see if it has any deep scratches in it, chamber might need polished a bit
  4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

When it doesnt eject take the barrel off and turn it over.You will see a little tit sticking out on one piece.Pry on it and it will release the ejector.That little tit is worn and not catching to release the ejector.Polishing the chamber should help.What I sugest is to find a steel rod smaller diameter than the bore and about 4" long and when it doesnt eject open the action,hold the barrel straight up and drop the shaft down the bore.It will usually knock the cartridge out.You may have to do it over.It wont hurt the bore as there is no pressure on it.Mooseman can tell you what that part is.Extractor release is all I can think of.I dont like spring powered extractors.I like forced ones. sam.
  5. Houston

Houston G&G Newbie

Well i dont know the answer to your question, but i know another forum that you could get more answers. go to go2gbo.com them guys know everything about NEF rifles.
  6. bhag

bhag G&G Newbie

7. bhag

bhag G&G Newbie

I had the same problem with the h@r .223 with the hammer hitting the primer to hard and driving the casing into headspace causing it to not eject. At times the hammer was busting holes through primers. I took a file and shaved a little off the firing pin and solved the problem. Another thing to make sure of is that the rim of cassing is in right position of ejector or it will not eject.
  8. slamfire

slamfire G&G Newbie

The only time a case wouldn't extract from my Handi-Rifle was when I was working up a handload for my .45-70. A bit too much powder resulted in the fired case getting stuck in the chamber, and it had to be knocked out with a rod from the muzzle.

It's the drawback of a spring ejector. Not a real problem at the range, but could be a disaster if it happens out hunting if a follow up shot is needed. :AR15firing:

I prefer the reliable extraction with my Ruger No.1 .45-70. Well-suited for a rimmed case.
  9. deputy125

deputy125 G&G Newbie

handy rifles are nice work guns that remind me of my youth hunting with single shot shotguns............

h&r/nef i believe have addressed the "ejection" issues by moving away from ejectors and going with just an extractor system for the current production rifles---at least in most models i believe............as a reloader i would actually prefer the extractor system over the ejector system in the rifles.
  10. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Basically,hammers do not hit primers too hard.If this happens with factory ammo you may have a problem.If it is only your reloads,drop down on powder. sam.
  11. Cherrier

Cherrier G&G Newbie

Had the same problem with a .308. Called H&R. Sent it in. The rifle came back like new. Problem fixed and trigger lightened/smoothed. No hassle. Great customer service. Give them a call.
  12. Rex in OTZ

Rex in OTZ G&G Enthusiast

had a NEF Handi rifle in .223 that did on occasion fail to extract a fired case, the particular batch of cartridges I had were especially troublesome (commercial reloads) when shooting factory cartridges I hadent any consistant problems
    I suspect that some chamber roughness may have contributed (bumps on fired cases) it was a very good littel rifle
    I now have a another a NEF SB1 in .22 hornet with no problems at all, the rimmed hornet pops right out, those rimless cased .223's were a pain at times (used a brass brazeing rod and dropped it down the bore for the odd stuck case)
  13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

You can carry a rod about 5" long that goes down the bore and drop it down the bore on cases that don't eject and they will. sam.
  14. Gopher3604x4

Gopher3604x4 G&G Newbie

My Surviver in .223 and a frind of mine got it in .308 and they both had the same prob. After about 100 round of just knocking them out from the muzzle it worked its self out and both work great now.
  15. towboater

towboater G&G Newbie

same problom

i owned a new .308 h&r and had the same problom i called the place where i orderd the rifile and thay simply sent me a new berrrle for the gun after i sent them the old one didnt cost me a dime the problom was solved and havent had a problom sents