H&R Vs. Springfield!!!

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by acarpenter, Jun 4, 2008.

1. acarpenter

acarpenter G&G Newbie

Ok.
    So I wasn't really planning on buying a Garand in the very near future, but I just happened to go into the local gunshop and see one with a gorgeous stock and i think I have the bug. I would have bought that one, but it seems that he was a bit overpriced, since it had been rebuilt and refinished. (considering CMP prices)

I am considering springing for one of the correct grade CMP Garands...
    So, H&R or SA???
    The H&R is 25 bucks more, but thats of no object to me.
    It says that the Springfields are between 5.4 and 5.8 million numbered anyway. I would really like to keep my collection strictly WWII production years, but I figured its hard to find one thats all correct, in good shape, and the like. And I can always get one of those later.

Anyway, back to my point: Should I get a H&R or Springfield?
  2. Dookiebutt

Dookiebutt G&G Newbie

Neither of your options are WWII production. All of the HRAs I have seen recently were very nice. I would spend the extra $25.
  3. Ben Hartley

Ben Hartley G&G Regular

H&R or Springfield?

Carpenter:

Harrington and Richardson (H&R or HRA) rifles are all post WWII production. They were made ca. 1952-1956 to supply rifles for the Korean "police action."

Springfield Armory made M1 Rifles during WWII of course, and the top serial number for 1945, according to Scott Duff's The M1 Garand" OWNER'S GUIDE is in the 3,880,000 range.

HTH

Ben Hartley
  4. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

also, any rifle you get from the CMP will be a mixmaster. buy one anyways, 95% of people dont know the difference.
  5. Orlando

Orlando G&G Enthusiast

Correct grades and Collectors (when available)are not mixmasters. They have all correct parts for the era built with correct stocks but are post war. All other rifles are mixmasters.
  6. acarpenter

acarpenter G&G Newbie

That brings up another question I had...
    When the parts are "correct for the era" does that mean that these rifles come as they were from the factory for the most part? And would be all H&R for example?
    Thanks for the responses :)
  7. Orlando

Orlando G&G Enthusiast

A Correct Grade SA or HRA will have all SA or HRA parts correct for that era as shipped from the factory
  8. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

they are still mixmasters, just pieced together.
  9. Orlando

Orlando G&G Enthusiast

You are wrong. Correct and collectors are not mixmasters. When grading rifles if they happen to see one piece out of place they may or may not change it to make it a Correct Grade but CMP does not "build" rifles to make them correct. Collectors are as found.
  10. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

changing parts to make one correct is not "as found".
  11. Orlando

Orlando G&G Enthusiast

I'm not here to argue with you but you need to do some research. Once again (I'll type real slow so maybe you can understand) When grading rifles if they happen to see one piece out of place they "may or may not change it "to make it a Correct Grade . CMP does not "build" rifles to make them correct but if there is a small piece out of place it is possible they will change it. This does not make it a mixmaster.A mixmaster is a riflke with all different manufacture of parts or parts not correct for the era of the serial number. Collectors are as found, correct from the day they left the factory .Understand?
    Just how many Correct Grades do you have in your safe?
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2008
  12. oldjarhead

oldjarhead G&G Evangelist

And 99.9% of that 95% don't really care.
    It's the look, the feel, the shoot-ability, and the history.
  13. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

orlando, if they are changing pieces to make them correct, they are building/assembling rifles . another fact, 99% of M1 do not have their original parts, that makes them all mixmasters. oh, i typed this really slow so you could comprehend it!
    so what exactly does having a number of correct grades in your safe prove? yep, i dont have 1, just a lowly NM M1.
  14. Orlando

Orlando G&G Enthusiast

You are absolutly right , most Garands dont have original parts except for the Collector Grades and Correct Grades,fact. Another fact, changing a small part on a otherwise completly correct Garand to make it 100 percent correct does not make it a mixmaster. Another fact, yes all WW11 Garands sold through CMP are mixmasters. Another fact ,I am talking about Post War Correct Grades and Collector Grades. Another fact, these are not mixmasters
    Slideshow of HR Correct - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
    1167682449.pbw - Slideshow - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
  15. lefty o

lefty o G&G Enthusiast

i disagree. about the only M1's out there that are not mixmasters are the british lend lease rifles, as most of those do contain all original (to the rifle) parts. the rest are mixmasters with few exceptions. its kinda like saying a 63 vette with a replacement engine block is all correct.
  16. Orlando

Orlando G&G Enthusiast

A Corvette with a Ford engine not correct but a Garand with a trigger changed ? Maybe you should also read the descripton alittle more carefully.

"Collector Grade rifles have all original parts as they came from the manufacturer. Wood will have a few handling marks and minor dings and scratches. Stocks have the appropriate inspector's cartouche"
    "Correct Grade rifles will have all correct parts for the date of manufacture "

This is straight from the director of operations at CMP
    "we don't assemble rifles to make them correct. If we are inspecting a rifle and the only thing keeping it from being correct is a small part, and we have one of those parts handy on that particular armorer's bench - he 'may' make it correct, or he may not - judgement call. We don't second guess the armorers.
    '

CMP also has "unissued" all completely correct , in original wrap, unmolested , non mixmaster Garands on their auction site from time to time
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  17. USAF_462/2W1X1

USAF_462/2W1X1 G&G Newbie

Ladies, I really didn't mean to interrupt the pissing contest... :09: But can I just say, Orlando that both rifles look... well... WOW! My keyboard is covered with drool, those are the first pics I have seen of a corect grade, actually they are the first pics I have seen of any CMP M1! (Close up pics I mean) I am waiting on my M1 through the CMP now but it is Service grade, so I know it won't look like those, but I guess I better start saving my money again!!!
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2008
  18. acarpenter

acarpenter G&G Newbie

Hey USAF,
    I am right there with ya buddy. Just got my M1 carbine in the mail a couple weeks ago and now I have garand-itis BAD. I wanna save up my money for a correct while they still have them :) :) :)
  19. Orlando

Orlando G&G Enthusiast

No pissing contest just stating facts. Your Service Grade will be a mixmaster as Lefty calls them. Dont expect perfect finish, they will show wear but will be a great shooter. It may come with a new Boyds stock or USGI. Post pics when you get it
  20. Mike Franklin

Mike Franklin G&G Newbie

Any Garand that was issued will not have all original parts. About every 3 months the operating rod and spring were changed out. At least the USMC ones were.