Hand Held De-primer?

Discussion in 'The Powder Keg' started by PONTIACDM, Nov 27, 2008.

1. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

I know lee makes a hand help primer. Does anyone make a hand held de-primer? If you do know of some one making it please provide a link if you can. I would like to watch tv while de-priming. It makes it not so boring. Thanks
  2. Blackrock

Blackrock G&G Enthusiast

Maybe a little pricier than you like but LEE makes a hand press sorta like a giant nutcracker which accepts standard dies. You could set it up with a plain decapping die. I found the RCBS die to be a couple bucks cheaper than the LEE die.
  3. SwedeSteve

SwedeSteve Freedom Zealot Forum Contributor

A punch and a hammer ??
  4. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I have one set up for that very purpose.Midway has the press,part# 410-804, $24.49 and decapping die,part# 136-543, $8.99.I have deprimed many,many live primers with never a mishap. sam.
  5. jerry

jerry G&G Evangelist Forum Contributor

Iv'e done this, mainly due to a different dilemma. Off center primes on mil brass breaking my pins. I need a machinist to make a go no go guage for my 06 mil brass, something that fits the neck of a fired case perfectly with a center pin to feel if the hole is center before running hrough the die.
  6. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Redneck!!! sam.
  7. Blackrock

Blackrock G&G Enthusiast

Didn't think about that one but LEE has a punch and base that is used in the LEE Loader hand held hammer baingin type reloading setup.
    The punch is pretty caliber specific as it fits snug in the throat, maybe Jerry could use this as well. I do know from exprience that it can be broken by trying to deprime a berdan primed case. So be careful on those oddballs.
  8. toolman

toolman Resident Sasquatch Forum Contributor

There's a guy on eBay that sells handheld decapping tools.
  9. MOD 70

MOD 70 G&G Newbie

A Lyman tong press is very versatile and will accept all standard dies and is great for loading at the range as well.
  10. PONTIACDM

PONTIACDM G&G Newbie

Thanks for the replys. I'm looking into them.
  11. SwedeSteve

Sam- Seemed like the easiest fix to me. He's probably already got both items as well. Sometimes reverse engineering works !! And YOU are callin ME a redneck, LOL !!
  12. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

And don't even think about using a Lee hand press to deprime bottlenecked cases unless you have arms like Popeye!
  13. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

For your info,,,I do it all the time and with a full length resizing die there wont be over 20lbs torque if everything is right and they are lubed.With a collet neck resizing die there isn't that much,and with a universal decapping die there is just the little pop when the primer pops out.And at 69yrs of age,my arms look more like Skinny Minnie,s.I can however,still lift a paper bill or credit card to purchase more loading parafinalia. sam.
  14. gandog56

gandog56 G&G Enthusiast

And if you are reloading for a semi-auto that can't use a neck size only die? I tried with properly lubed cases for 7.62X39, and I did about ten before I gave up.
  15. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

Maybe your wife or some other lady could help you? sam. P.S. I never recommended the hand held Lee press for full reloading,only for decapping,but stand by what I said,that it could be used for that purpose as Lee advertises.Personally,I found it hard to keep upright when powder is in it and you are seating the bullet.As to your problems with 7.62by39mm casings,first you are probably using military cases which are thicker and harder.second,they have been fired in a mil/spec chamber that expands them more than most bolt actions.Third,the neck should be brushed out on any case so it doesnt hang up on the expander.Fourth,you have two expanders,a .311" and a .308".The chamber is usually for the .311".The .308" always works a little harder.Whoops,.311 works harder. sam.
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  16. SwedeSteve

^ Makes sense to me. Even if it's coming from a redneck !!
  17. samuel

samuel G&G Newbie

I'm an orange neck! My mother was from Tenn.,and my father from southern Mich..And yes,I own a motorcycle,a fwd pickup,(Mich doesn't allow gunracks),multiple firearms,and have my wife working in Wal-Mart to support me. sam.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  18. Binzo

Binzo G&G Newbie

Sam, is the setup you have a Lee setup? Just want to make sure.
  19. kansascoyote

kansascoyote G&G Newbie

^ Agreed I use the same set up sam and it is by far the best , I have used . Whats wrong with being a redneck ? I is what is and thats all that I is . huckkukkuk
  20. BaserRonin

BaserRonin G&G Newbie

I use a punch and a hammer frequently. Granted my punch is from an old lee hand kit, but same thing.
    I reload in my unheated garage. In the winter, if I am getting ready to do rifle, I will frequently sit in my comfy living room and knock em out one at a time while watching TV. It works well, and gives me something to work on instead of lounging on the couch. If I am really bored I will keep a cleaning rag next to me and polish them up by hand at the same time...